The Motivation Thread

Apr 25, 2011 at 5:43 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
After reading this thread and this thread, I realized that we are all a bunch of unmotivated mofoes, and not all of you have come to terms with it like I have. So I thought, "Group support, strength in numbers, hurdydurdyderp."

That wasn't my actual thought process, but shut up.

Okay, now, the point of this thread isn't to accept that you're lazy and move on. I was setting a bad example and I can benefit from this too. We are going to motivate each other and it will be just like one of those montages where at the end we're chest-deep in women and money. I know that the success of this venture will mean less forum members, but I am willing to accept those losses if it means getting you all off your fat asses.

Now, I can't speak for everyone, but when I read a motivational speech or something, I skim over "Happier person blah blah blah hard work blah blah blah mushy mush." I know that things take hard work and perseverance and willpower, which is exactly why I'm not doing them. Duh. What we need is a motivational speech tailored specifically for someone and their unique set of problems, so what better way to do that than here.

And I know there are some people, myself included, who say, "Well I know what to do, I don't need to—" NO, SHUT UP, FAGGOT. If you know what to do, why aren't you doing it? Quit making excuses and post in this thread.

Please don't tl;dr this, it's for your own good.

Apr 27, 2011 at 6:31 AM
Are we ironically too lazy to post here, or is this just a bad idea?

Apr 27, 2011 at 6:34 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Obviously everyone is unmotivated.

Or alternatively, everyone is so motivated that they don't have time for this thread. It's probably a combination of the 2: some people are motivated but have to use that motivation to do other things, and some people are so unmotivated that they can't be bothered to type anything here.

I need to go motivate myself to study now.

Apr 27, 2011 at 6:37 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
I didn't know this thread existed.

I'd be more than happy to participate, but I don't see anyone here to motivate

Apr 27, 2011 at 6:42 AM
Okay maybe I wasn't totally clear but I wanted to explain in a way that didn't seem silly. But here we go.

Rant/whine about your lack of motivation and why you're unmotivated and why you want to be motivated, and the forums will do their best to motivate you.

At this point it's probably just going to be wisecracks and sarcasm, but yesterday I was trying to feed off the "aim of life" thread, since half the posts in there were like "I am so unmotivated not doing anything with my life ioagarobjirg." I figured I'd make another thread instead of going off-topic to address that.

And I didn't want to start off because a) it might look like I made the thread just to complain and b) it seems that others need motivation more than I do.

Apr 27, 2011 at 8:35 AM
A old relic from older days
"..."
One forum I used to frequent years ago had a "Help with life" section, which I was a mod for until I left. I liked that section a lot. The community was support enough that there was (almost) no flaming, however, admittedly there was a LOT of hypersensitivity and a good deal excess drama mixed in as well (e.g. people often saying "I'm depressed!" and unable to give any reason why, concrete or otherwise). From what I've seen, I don't think either of those will be too much of a problem here at this particular forum, but nonetheless I'd still like to suggest that people be calm and reasonable with their thoughts and replies. I've seen how poorly this kind of thing can derail at times.

Still, I highly approve of this thread, and the good it can do if anyone needs anything. I'll be keeping an eye out here.

Apr 27, 2011 at 12:23 PM
Lace said:
Somebody motivate me!!!!

New forum software stinks...

AND I AM GOING INSANE!!!!
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

soz about the color, it just wasn't orange enough. >_>
:muscledoc:

Anyways, I think my problem/the problem is generally this.

Apr 27, 2011 at 3:25 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
You know a community is lazy as fuck when JJ Treadway is the first person in the community to complete a non-trival Cave Story mod.

Also what Lace said.

Alsoalso idk if the love and 42 threads are a good indicator of how motivated or not people are, since I think people are more likely to bitch about how much they struggle with motivation than they are to talk about how the don't struggle with motivation.

Apr 27, 2011 at 10:07 PM
Pirate Member
Procrastination has always been a problem of mine. It goes head to head with lack of motivation as well, but the latter isn't the problem.

I need to start working out more.

Apr 28, 2011 at 12:22 AM
Is working out the only thing you're procrastinating? Because it's really not that important...

Apr 28, 2011 at 9:22 AM
Hax on....Hax off....
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I've got some thoughts...

I'm still in school right now, and I'd say that I'm pretty happy. I do find myself procrastinating quite frequently, which often results in some stress, but I very rarely procrastinate so much that I have to stay up all night. If there's one thing that makes me unhappy, it's stress I suppose. My only real ambition for when I leave school is to get a job that doesn't demand time outside of working hours.

Do I lack ambition and motivation or is what I am saying fair enough?
Should I be more interested in finding a job that will have me earn more money?

Apr 28, 2011 at 9:14 PM
Member Title
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Captain Fabulous said:
this venture will mean less forum members

Please don't tl;dr this

Looks like I just made it in time then!

Geez Fabulous, you know just what the people want to do and when they want to do it! But I read it, so dun't worry.

I know that I'm still too young to "feel" or "experience" the losses/heartbreak you guys have gone through or whatever, and I was never one to be a motivational speaker of any kind at all, but I saw this recently and it made me take into perspective this community (the internet) that we have created. So yeah, best of wishes to you all, and I'm sure someone far better than I can help you.

Apr 28, 2011 at 9:33 PM
Pirate Member
Captain Fabulous said:
Is working out the only thing you're procrastinating? Because it's really not that important...

That the 127th thing I'm procrastinating. It's like I'm afraid of something.

Apr 30, 2011 at 10:10 AM
A old relic from older days
"..."
Uncy Dave said:
I've got some thoughts...

I'm still in school right now, and I'd say that I'm pretty happy. I do find myself procrastinating quite frequently, which often results in some stress, but I very rarely procrastinate so much that I have to stay up all night. If there's one thing that makes me unhappy, it's stress I suppose. My only real ambition for when I leave school is to get a job that doesn't demand time outside of working hours.

Do I lack ambition and motivation or is what I am saying fair enough?
Should I be more interested in finding a job that will have me earn more money?

Speaking in terms of the present, so long as you're happy, doing your work, and doing it decently to where you're actually getting something from your education, then good on you. Obviously procrastination can be somewhat risky, but according to what you've said, you have your limits and aren't prone to digging yourself into a massive hole where you're crunching like crazy. As far as how you get your work done, there's nothing wrong with being a little laid back, so long as it doesn't hurt the quality of what you do.

Now, as for future motives... well, you have to keep things balanced for the money aspect of your career goals. For better or for worse, no matter how much you look at it, you'll need money to survive in the world. It supplies your home, your food, gives you access to luxuries and recreational activities, and so forth. That's a given, and you should find a job that will supply enough money to keep your life stable and provide the basics. If that means something that requires you to work away from whatever workplace you choose, well... I'm sorry, but you're just gonna have to tough it out or make some sacrifices on what you can have. Basic logic right there.

However.

Large amounts of money should not be your primary motivator in life. You've probably heard a thousand times over that money corrupts, and quite frankly, it's true. If you have a task that requires any cognitive thinking, being paid large amounts of money to complete that task WILL make your performance plummet to the floor. Studies have shown this multiple times over. No, you want to be paid enough that the prospect of money is off your mind, and be doing something you like because you actually -like doing it.- Humans are happiest and most proficient when they're running off autonomy as a motive, when they want to improve and work towards something just for the sake of doing it.

I know, I know. finding a job that you'll like for the sake of the job itself is much, MUCH more easily said than done. I can't help much there since you know what you like much better than any of us here. And, if you absolutely positively canNOT find a job that you like, then try to find a hobby of some sort, preferably something that will have plenty of room for improvement, whether it be a sport or medium of art or whatever.

But hey, if you're happy just doing, yknow, whatever, then hey, no harm no foul. Just keep in mind that if you're starting to feel like your life is kind of empty, we all have a need for self improvement, at least to some degree.

If you have ten minutes and want to learn a bit more on how we work, this explains it better than I can. 'Specially since I just tl;dr'd it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAPnuFjJc

May 18, 2011 at 10:20 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
I just noticed this.

p125123-0-zowmo.png

That's just sad.

May 18, 2011 at 10:54 PM
When you're too unmotivated to post in a "get motivated" thread... you have some thinking to do.

May 18, 2011 at 11:38 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Maybe everyone is just doing the right thing, and instead of complaining in a thread they're going out and doing the things they need to do.

But yeah unmotivated people kind of tend to choose to be unmotivated (sort of?) so I wouldn't expect them to try to change by posting in this thread.

May 24, 2011 at 1:59 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Well only semi recently did some significant event occur which seems to be the catalyst for me getting out of depression. Won't go into details though. Sometimes I rescind and go back into a foul mood with irrationally negative thoughts but often when this happens I think "Okay, stop it, lets stop being in this bad mood yeah" and I start to calm down.

Eh, thought people might like to know, I don't really want advice on this because I want to figure this out myself and others giving me advice might 'spoil' my learning process.

May 24, 2011 at 3:44 AM
I'm afraid there's no such thing as spoiling the learning process. Trying to get out of depression and improve your life alone is madness. You do need advice on this, maybe not from us, but from someone. Trust me, it'll make things better, not worse. Besides, why would you tell us if you don't want us to know details so we can help you?

Unless...

Unless you think we care?
No, that's far too silly. Forget I said anything.

May 24, 2011 at 10:13 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Captain Fabulous said:
I'm afraid there's no such thing as spoiling the learning process. Trying to get out of depression and improve your life alone is madness. You do need advice on this, maybe not from us, but from someone. Trust me, it'll make things better, not worse. Besides, why would you tell us if you don't want us to know details so we can help you?

Unless...

Unless you think we care?
No, that's far too silly. Forget I said anything.

yes im not asking for advice from you guys precisely because people like you are in this forum

->people who have a life, experience and maturity to give advice dont do so because they have a life
->teenagers who dont have a life and crave attention and recognition do give advice, but its often crappy advice and if you ask further they give up

happy?