The Legend of Zelda: The Shadowgazer

Jun 24, 2009 at 7:10 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
The Legend of Zelda: The Shadowgazer
by King Mob

http://www.zfgc.com/users/kingmob/index.html
(There's a demo)

This would have been a fanmade Zelda game :O Created with GameMaker...
Close your eyes and step into a shadowy other Hyrule, a dream-like realm blighted by the Maren - ancient evil spirits that cause nightmares. Conquer your darkest fears and rid the kingdom of its bad dreams to unravel the mystery of the Maren's curse.

The Legend of Zelda: The Shadowgazer is a fan game being developed in Game Maker by King Mob, and features:

Two parallel versions of the game world: the everyday waking world, and its nightmarish counterpart, unseen by all except those trained to use the Shadowgazer - a magical totem that protects the bearer from the nightmare realm's maddening effects

A rotating three-day schedule, governed by the comings and goings of the ships in the port town of Hyrule. Record valuable information regarding the nightmares of the passengers and crew in your Cabin Boy's Handbook

It is impressive enough to re-interest me in Zelda :D
Very polished looking..

SADLY the game has recently been announced to be changed to a stand-alone game unconnected to the Zelda franchise. IT will still use elements of the story and the game already created...
Reasoning was he really wanted to make a full blown Zelda fan-game, but with all the hours he has put into this, and continues to put into this; he really wants to have something that can give him something in return.
I wonder if he contacted Nintendo...?

Anyways, it'll be an all-new game and he will have the rights to it; so it will be interesting to see what it develops into.

Jun 25, 2009 at 2:33 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
It looks amazing.

Though I hate Game Maker and MMF. Games made with them cannot be ported to any other platform. AM2R, The Underside, this, and many other good looking games that can never be ported to any other platform besides PC seriously irritate me because I know, despite how good they are, that I'll never get around to playing them.

I hope that someone will create a Game Maker emulator sometime in the future. I know that there is an RPG Maker game emulator in the works.

Jun 25, 2009 at 5:23 PM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Well hopefully something will come out of his efforts in this project. It does look very polished and it definitely made me want to play it very badly! : ) Thanks for sharing X-Calibar!

Hopefully Nintendo will do something with it, make it a WiiWare title or DS title, something of the sort. But then they might not see it has something that can be part of the Zelda franchise, and in that case just give him a cease and desist letter. I mean sure, Kingmob owns the rights to it, but not the Zelda characters, title, logo or any other intellectual property that he may be using.

-Thomas

Dec 7, 2009 at 5:41 AM
"Huzzah!"
Hey, I've actually been a member on ZFGC (Zelda Fan Game Central) for nearly 2 years and I had kept my eye on the Shadowgazer for a while.

The topic about it is here:
http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=3937.0

Unfortunately, I'm not sure ANYTHING is being done on it anymore, not even as an original game. Kingmob hasn't been around the ZFGC forums for a while, so the moderator locked his topic for now.

So, just in case people are wondering, I think it is really dead, and not just the Zelda version, the whole thing.

Hopefully Kingmob will come back and prove me wrong though.

Mar 26, 2010 at 11:41 PM
The Town Bicycle *cough*
"Keep on rollin'!"
Oooh!

Whats this?

Is it finished?

Mar 27, 2010 at 3:32 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Wow, this does look cool. Everything seems so smooth, and you can tell tons of time was put into it.

andwhyisit;63178 said:
Though I hate Game Maker and MMF. Games made with them cannot be ported to any other platform. AM2R, The Underside, this, and many other good looking games that can never be ported to any other platform besides PC seriously irritate me because I know, despite how good they are, that I'll never get around to playing them.

Yeah, it's kinda sad that Game Maker and MM Fusion don't work on other platforms. That's the price you pay for game-making capabilities without needing to learn a programming language that would allow portability.