The IRC problem. Maybe an official channel will help.

What do you think?

• The multiple channels are fine, leave it how it is.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • An official channel would be nice, so everyone would be in a single moderated channel.

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • I have an better idea... (Post it!)

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don't know/care.

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • 2 channels: An official channel and a less regulated channel.

Votes: 5 15.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 31, 2010 at 8:49 AM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
READ THIS BEFORE YOU VOTE!

I just noticed that recently a lot of channels were made in the IRC. I can understand that the users aren't very happy with the moderating in #Doukutsu. #Doukutsu is not an official channel (as well as #Curlybrace).
But I think that an official channel is needed, I just noticed that all this creating of new channels affects the community in the IRC a bit. Sometimes you have to be in all 3 channels to be able to talk to all people. And in some channels you have to abstain from moderation and rules in order to do so. I think this is affecting the community in a social way. The community in the IRC is splitting into social groups.

I can understand that the users want to help the community and want to have some rules.
So here is my offer: I will make a semi-official channel, where all the admins/moderators from the forums will be ops. That might not be enough (only me and DT are active in the IRC) so everyone who wants to be an op, is able to apply for it.
OPs will moderate the channel and in terms of a dispute between the OPs and a user, it will be clarified with a neutral instance. Also I have an idea of setting up the rules democratic. (With a poll or something)

Jul 31, 2010 at 9:01 AM
"Huzzah!"
change me from dont care to the last option.

Jul 31, 2010 at 9:04 AM
Hoxtilicious
'Kay, I did.

Jul 31, 2010 at 9:13 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
If the last option (the two channels) gets the most, and is put into action, well we already have two channels ready. Just make one official if someone consents, and leave the other one the way it is (to be less regulated).
:o

Jul 31, 2010 at 10:45 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Yeah it's annoying as hell, you have to be at three places at the same time as if you're a newyork business man. Sorry for being pessimistic, but I believe people will just vote for "Leave it as it is". Why? Because when a channel spawns it's usually very active, which attracts people and fun. Of course in a few days or maybe a week it becomes an empty warehouse. However...

There isn't really a choice right now, even if people vote for only 2 channels they will continue making more. At least you're democratic about it, having a vote n' all. So in other words, these forums are like America - you can vote, but you're still voting for superpower corporations and lobbyists, no matter which party wins. Why is it similar? Read three sentences back.

Jul 31, 2010 at 11:38 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
I don't have a problem with the setup at the moment. #doukutsu has always been ZT's channel more than this forums', and #curlybrace has run fine so far with non-forum staff as mods.

Also 3 channels what?

Jul 31, 2010 at 12:06 PM
Hoxtilicious
DoubleThink said:
Also 3 channels what?

Dragonboots made another channel.
Also I heared someone talking about 5 channels, wtf.

Jul 31, 2010 at 12:15 PM
Pirate Member
S. P. Gardebiter said:
Dragonboots made another channel.
Also I heared someone talking about 5 channels, wtf.

Yeah dragonboots made #cloudhome for whatever reason. Also where did you hear about 5 channels?

Jul 31, 2010 at 12:26 PM
Hoxtilicious
WoodenRat said:
Yeah dragonboots made #cloudhome for whatever reason. Also where did you hear about 5 channels?

idk, someone in #CurlyBrace said something about 5 channels.

Jul 31, 2010 at 12:43 PM
Pirate Member
S. P. Gardebiter said:
idk, someone in #CurlyBrace said something about 5 channels.

Let's hope it's gossip.

Jul 31, 2010 at 12:47 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I don't see a problem with the current setup... #doukutsu was sort of always there, #cloudhome is sort of like DB's channel and #curlybrace is like #doukutsu but less SFW.

If there were *more* channels I'd probably have to end up just going to those too. Three isn't terribly many but I wouldn't want more.

Jul 31, 2010 at 2:43 PM
graters gonna grate
The current setup doesn't really seem to differentiate between the different channels much. It just seems like we have 3 different #doukutsus. Having just 2 channels that are actually different from each other would be better, so that there's something different for people with different tastes.

Jul 31, 2010 at 5:54 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
You see, you can't count DB's channel as one of the cavestory channels, it has no affiliation with CS, and it is basically NSFW 24/7.

Given that, we are left with two channels:
One with moderation on hand most of the time, where the rules are enforced (#curlybrace), and a second channel, with less moderation, if people want (#doukutsu).
:0
You may notice this is identical to the option on tge poll everyone is voting for, besides keep it the way it is. I failto see the point of this poll '-_-
It seems to me that you the end result would be a change in who is an op.

There are two CS IRC channels, and one channels owned by a user of these forums.
People go where they want to be, complaining that you have to be in three channels at once is a petty gripe at best, I do it every day I am on IRC, I have no issues with it.
Having a choice between three different conversations is a great choice to have.
Granted, there are some people who are like:
"those people who are like" said:
I don't like this channel because:
>I don't like people who are in it
>The moderation sucks
>I'm cool and I think I can use my awesome forum influence to make people leave the channel because I can
then having multiple channels is great for all of them.
If there was one channel, you would her to deal with people you don't like, topics you don't want to discuss, and moderation that you don't like, etc.
Now, if you dislike what's happenig in one channel, then you go to the other.

Jul 31, 2010 at 9:44 PM
Pirate Member
Wedge of Cheese said:
The current setup doesn't really seem to differentiate between the different channels much. It just seems like we have 3 different #doukutsus. Having just 2 channels that are actually different from each other would be better, so that there's something different for people with different tastes.

Actually, all three aren't different at all. People discuss the same things in all of them. It depends who's in it, really. I guess it would be cool to have strict coding only channel. But who'd go there?

Aug 1, 2010 at 12:29 AM
inactive user
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I wish more people actually WENT to #doukutsu because I'm often the only one chatting. :p

Aug 1, 2010 at 1:52 AM
Been here way too long...
The thing about #Doukutsu is that it will always be there. ZarroTsu's not going to baleet it just because we have to multitask. So you can forget about having just one channel unless it's #Doukutsu.
You also said you wanted a moderated channel, so things don't get retarded like in #Doukutsu. Well guess what, #CurlyBrace IS a moderated channel, so there's no reason to make another one, unless S.P. really wants to be an operator.
#cloudhome is not a Cave Story channel. It just so happens that some Mirai Gamers hang out there. Plus it's NSFW and has poor (awful?) moderation. #cloudhome does not enter into this conversation, and if you guys want to be in less channels, leave #cloudhome because all the interesting people are in #CurlyBrace and #Doukutsu anyway.

Now, some people are okay with managing three conversations. I am not, since I'm probably browsing internets or modding CS too. It's unfortunate that I'm forced to spread out my brains even further by being on 3 channels.
Now, a main channel and a modding channel sounds like a good idea, but unless topics are enforced (and they never are), we'll end up talking about whatever in both channels. So how about this:
Captain Fabulous: "I am a noob modder. I need to know how to edit npc.tbl."
Noxid: "Well, I happen to be 1337, and I can tell you how. You see, <insert unintelligeble hackspeak here>.
Captain Fabulous: "Whoa hey there, Noxey. Why don't we head on over to #Doukutsu, the official Mirai Gamer modding channel?"
Noxid: "Good idea, Captain Fabulous."

And then they all lived happily ever after, because they took the initiative without an op yelling at them.

We can use #Doukutsu for modding (because more modders hang out there and we don't want to intimidate the squishy minds of #CulryBracers) and use #CurlyBrace for general discussion (which never involves Cave Story). There is no need to make a new, official channel. Just say both channels are official, and let SP be an op if he's REALLY gonna be anal about it.

Aug 1, 2010 at 2:17 AM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Captain Fabulous said:
We can use #Doukutsu for modding (because more modders hang out there and we don't want to intimidate the squishy minds of #CulryBracers) and use #CurlyBrace for general discussion (which never involves Cave Story). There is no need to make a new, official channel. Just say both channels are official, and let SP be an op if he's REALLY gonna be anal about it.

If you try to use either of the channels for something specific, someone's going to get banned from one and use the other for both purposes. We would just be back to square one because of the moderation.

Aug 1, 2010 at 2:26 AM
Been here way too long...
You don't ban people for talking about the wrong topic. You remind them what the channel is for, and if they insist on talking about something just to piss you off, you mute them.
Besides, how strict do you think we're going to be about this? Have you been on Mirai Gamer before?

Aug 1, 2010 at 2:27 AM
inactive user
"All your forum are belong to us!"
captain fabulous said:
besides, how strict do you think we're going to be about this? Have you been on mirai gamer before?

lmao .

Aug 1, 2010 at 2:29 AM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Captain Fabulous said:
You don't ban people for talking about the wrong topic. You remind them what the channel is for, and if they insist on talking about something just to piss you off, you mute them.
Besides, how strict do you think we're going to be about this? Have you been on Mirai Gamer before?

WD was banned from #doukutsu because Zarro decided to moderate for once. adark was banned from #CurlyBrace (Dunno if he's still banned) for several very good reasons but still dicks around in #Doukutsu because he can't take a hint.

Status
Not open for further replies.