The hardest achievements you've ever achieved

Apr 8, 2015 at 2:46 AM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
After completing Shovel Knight and getting every glory achievement, it made me wonder; What are the hardest achievements you've earned, which ones made you either rip your hair, cry yourself to sleep, or both?

The 3 hardest achievements I've done;

Shovel Knight: Hurry up achievement 4 hearts no relics 1"20'51

Shovel Knight: Beating the game with 4x the damage, no relics and 10 hearts

Shovel Knight: Beating New Game+ with no relics and 10 hearts

(Noticing there's no relics in any run?)

So what achievements were the hardest for you?

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2015 at 6:18 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
BP run in Paper Mario tTYD

Making it to level 84 in a pre hooktail pit run in Paper Mario tTYD

Sub 3 minute run of the Sanctuary in CS+. (I got like 3:02 in the original)

SHFFL'ing 20 times in a row in Smash bros PM

Making Dreams of Reality 2

just getting to this point of artistry.

Apr 8, 2015 at 7:08 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Cleaned-Out "Epilogue: The Cleaner" in Monaco: What's Yours is Mine.
To put this in perspective:
- To "Clean-Out" is to grab all the money in a level, to the last penny.
- This particular level is in a campaign where you can't choose a class, but are instead forced to play an assigned one.
- It is the only level that SPAWNS GUARDS PERIODICALLY. So while taking your time in the entire rest of the game is a valid option, the only way to clean out this one is to do it how speed-runners would do it.
- This is the level you are least likely to have a Multiplayer party help you out with, so you have to do it alone.
- It only lasts 1 min 30 secs, but it takes around 5 hours of repeating this over and over.
- It isn't a part of any of the achievements, and being the last level of a campaign you really get nothing outside a visual checkmark for doing this, so everyone skips cleaning it out for perfectly valid reasons.
Somehow having 176 hours of CaveStory+, when I've beaten it once, beaten Wind Fortress once, and haven't used Hayden's porting tool. There should be no reason that the hour count is higher than Monaco and RiskOfRain, I must have left it on in a coma.

The Binary saving/loading system of "Carnage Clash". I spent weeks on something that happens in less than a second and most of you will hardly notice. It is without a doubt the largest script to ever be had in a CS Mod. I didn't even realize my text editor had a find/replace function, and therefore I'm the most inefficient man in the world.

I've also ALMOST completed NewGame+ Kero Blaster with a single heart. It doesn't count though since I haven't finished.

Apr 8, 2015 at 1:03 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I finished reallyjoel's Dad Ultimortal difficulty on Iji and took less than a day. Beat Asha on my second try and Tor on my first real try, too.

I also achieved a high score of 13,952,400 on Groove Coaster Zero's Just No Friend song. For those who don't know, Groove Coaster is a rhythm game where you tap, hold and slide on linear beats, which can still get way harder than you'd expect. Just No Friend is one of the more difficult songs available and I've been working on it on and off for months. Here's a video of someone performing a near-perfect run.
See how their score is 2,000,000 higher than mine? That's still an achievement in my book. Groove Coaster's multiplier system means that a single missed beat is several million points lost at best, and while I don't have the skill for a Full Chain or that many Greats just yet it's nice to know that my work has been paying off.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2015 at 1:13 PM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
i beat castlevania
i also made it to level 15 or something without losing a life on the way
but the part i care about is that i beat castlevania
other than that i'm pretty much generally bad at every game so i have nothing else

Apr 8, 2015 at 1:53 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
i got accepted into university

Apr 8, 2015 at 1:59 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Um... I got the blaze achievement in minecraft..

Apr 8, 2015 at 3:06 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Beat Battletoads and Silver Surfer on an NES with a regular controller. I also got the max completion in Super Meat Boy.

Thatnamelessguy said:
other than that i'm pretty much generally bad at every game so i have nothing else
We are totally going to beat 2-player Battletoads and don't you ever forget it. Rat Race eventually.

Apr 8, 2015 at 4:04 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Beating 9.0 Difficulty in classic mode of Smash Bros 3DS
Getting all the Chaos Emeralds in Sonic 4 Episode 2
and getting 100% completion in Pikmin 2.

Apr 8, 2015 at 5:31 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Beating Dark Souls II on new game +

Apr 8, 2015 at 5:53 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Tpcool said:
Beat Battletoads and Silver Surfer on an NES with a regular controller. I also got the max completion in Super Meat Boy.

We are totally going to beat 2-player Battletoads and don't you ever forget it. Rat Race eventually.
How was cybernoid btw

Apr 8, 2015 at 6:32 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Noxid said:
How was cybernoid btw
Oh man I've had it for months and all I've done was let it collect dust. Let me try it for ten minutes now because who knows when I'll be motivated to play it.

Wow uhh Easy, Hard, but no in-between? Guess I'm going hard because I'll be damned if I decide to play games on baby mode (and because I have a feeling that I wouldn't get too far in lethal mode).
WHOA uhhh how do i take this all in? OK i guess i just wasted all of my bombs that's nice.
OK bubbles everywhere I will just hide in this corner. ok good i am dead. go shield power i guess.
ow this music hurts my ears
ok great now there is an endless stream of enemies where i am supposed to pass by
and i die like five more times, great

Ooooookay so weird game. It's definitely unique. In a way it seems like an amalgamation of all the hard games I've beaten (Battletoads and IWBTG trial-and-error, Silver Surfer shooting, Terminator NES incomprehension and funny music).

Apr 8, 2015 at 9:21 PM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
The hardest acheivment I've managed to acomplish was beating LoZ 2 without losing any health on an actual NES. It took me 7 months to do, and I'm never doing it again. Ever.

Apr 9, 2015 at 12:16 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Cave Story: Bubbler-only run
Illusion of Time: Fighting every boss as Will (except for the final boss where you are forced to fight as Shadow)

There are most likely others, but those are what spring to mind for now.

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:30 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
Bionicobot said:
The hardest acheivment I've managed to acomplish was beating LoZ 2 without losing any health on an actual NES. It took me 7 months to do, and I'm never doing it again. Ever.
Oh god have mercy.

how did you do it?

I gave up on a magic/attack only run on dungeon 7.

Apr 9, 2015 at 7:58 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
@Andwhyisit - *shudder* Bubbler run ... that takes guts ;]

Hmmm... Ys I Complete and Ys II Complete had their moments on Nightmare difficulty. Anyone who plays those will probably remember the frustration of fighting Dark Fact and Vagullion. It wasn't impossible, but it's probably on par with that frustration I felt surviving Hell for the first time in Cave Story.

I'm pretty sure Iji had its moments facing those bosses on Extreme and Ultimortal... 1001 Spikes had its moments too. Crescent Pale Mist might surpass all of these in difficulty looking back... Need to try that again. That was back when I didn't have a controller, great battles.

DLC Quest had an achievement I never unlocked... I really dislike timed runs after all :p Spent so much time each run, to be off by just seconds... argh!

Hammerwatch on the hardest mode has a map that's ridiculously difficult. Crystal Lich. That was a good acheivement...
L4D2 on realism and the hardest mode was tough to survive too, though I can't take all the credit since it was multiplayer...

Yeah, unfortunately I really don't know which game might have had the hardest achievement I've completed.
Maybe I'd choose the first person shooter game Starsiege: Tribes. Fighting against impossible odds back then had some incredible moments, and the most frustration out of all games. <3

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:31 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Probably my main one is getting and defending the World Record time for Kero Blaster's Boss Rush (although this was almost more of an obsession than an achievement to me).

That and clearing the single-player scenarios of Resident Evil Outbreak on very hard mode, which is a difficult task since the npc controlled players can be stupid and die somewhat easily, ontop of the very limited ammo meaning that you have to dodge/run around most enemies and you have to know exactly where you're going, as there's little room for error when most attacks send you to dying and you're very low on health. It's one of the hardest "hard" modes I've ever played.

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:56 PM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
BLink said:
Oh god have mercy.

how did you do it?

I gave up on a magic/attack only run on dungeon 7.
I honestly think it was mostly luck and a lot of start overs, identifing patterns, staying on the paths as much as possible, and doing the least amount of grinding possible. If I encountered an enemy, it was because I needed to kill that very enemy.

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:05 PM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Probably my main one is getting and defending the World Record time for Kero Blaster's Boss Rush (although this was almost more of an obsession than an achievement to me).
That and clearing the single-player scenarios of Resident Evil Outbreak on very hard mode, which is a difficult task since the npc controlled players can be stupid and die somewhat easily, ontop of the very limited ammo meaning that you have to dodge/run around most enemies and you have to know exactly where you're going, as there's little room for error when most attacks send you to dying and you're very low on health. It's one of the hardest "hard" modes I've ever played.
I'm surprised you didn't mention your all time high score for Spelunky

Apr 9, 2015 at 6:11 PM
War criminal
Defeating Red in Soul Silver (team I used: Entei, Furret, Feraligatr, Ampharos, Lugia, Togekiss)

Beating Super Mario Bros. 3 without using the whistles.

I don't know if this counts as one, but I finally started to play video games 9 years ago.