The Future of Cave Story on Mac.

Jun 28, 2018 at 2:23 PM
It Really Do Be Like That Sometimes
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Welp, It's happening. In the 2019 version of macOS, 32 bit apps will no longer be able to run. This poses many problems, particularly Steam and lots of mac games. However, today I'll focus on Cave Story. I don't know if you know, but freeware Cave Story is 32 bit. This makes sense, as it was made before OSX supported 64 bit apps. So, that one will become unplayable. Then there's Cave Story+, which has it's on set of problems of mac, and it's 32 bit on top of that. And I think we all know Nicalis has no plans on updating the app. Which means the last version that can still run is NXengine, which is 64 bit. However, NXengine doesn't have the double res graphics or extra modes that Cave Story+ does. Which means the only way to play CS+ is probably to run windows, which kinda sucks. What are your thoughts?

Jun 28, 2018 at 2:36 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Sucks too be a Mac user, as usual

Jun 28, 2018 at 4:24 PM
2dbro
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
why don't you have a windows OS already

Jun 28, 2018 at 6:01 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
NiCALIS dropped the mac port of CS+ entirely instead of fixing the pathname syntax that a Mac Update back in 2014-2015 demanded. It was dropped from steam and hasn't worked since without the community patch. So that's kinda mostly unaffected unless you were using said community patch.

Also there is no real mac modding scene. Other than the small handful that andwhy ported back some years, and most mods these days have patched exes through BL or other community means.

I made Cavern Tale and a bunch of other mods back in 2013-2015. Development was on a mac, but it was just me "emulating" the windows version with the cross-platform BL while on a mac. True Mac support was always kinda just a bonus some mods had that were arguably simple in nature.

So really the only thing of value lost is that all mac ports on the tribute site will be obsolete on this new OSX version, which does make me very sad because that's why I'm here, but alas I myself knew that switching to windows a year ago was the only way to fully do what I want in life. It's as if apple has a chromebook mentality for their user<>product relationship.

Jun 28, 2018 at 6:12 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Sucks too be a Mac user, as usual

Agreed. I don't like using mac for the reason that it isn't nearly as supported as windows. Almost always I have to either use wine or specify that it's a mac version & download it from some 3rd party site because most software is for windows. I don't know why apple feels the need to remove 32 bit support either. It's like removing something that didn't need to be removed like the headphone jack. My macbook doesn't support that 2019 OS anyways so it doesn't affect me, but it still sucks. Mac is just the inferior OS in most situations. The only thing I'll give it is that I think it's more user friendly.

I'd rather have a windows PC by most incenitives but this MacBook is a hand me down that gets me by.

Jun 28, 2018 at 7:29 PM
why don't you have a windows OS already
I do, but I’m mostly talking about the Mac users who are new to the game that just want to play the game without going through shenanigans with wine or bootcamp.

Jun 28, 2018 at 9:07 PM
War criminal
It's not that hard to just replace the operating system with Windows, tbqh.

Jun 28, 2018 at 9:48 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
NiCALIS dropped the mac port of CS+ entirely instead of fixing the pathname syntax that a Mac Update back in 2014-2015 demanded. It was dropped from steam and hasn't worked since without the community patch. So that's kinda mostly unaffected unless you were using said community patch.

Yeah, NiCALIS never had any kind of a track record of managing their games or keeping in touch with their user base, so this is most likely goodbye forever to native vanilla Cave Story on Mac... Unless, somebody makes a unofficial compatibility layer for 32-bit applications, or people make enough of a outcry towards Apple.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2018 at 10:38 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I'm gonna be honest with you.
If you want to play pc games then you shouldn't be using a Mac, but a system with Windows installed.
Macs are really only good for work and stuff like drawing.

Jun 28, 2018 at 11:07 PM
I'm gonna be honest with you.
If you want to play pc games then you shouldn't be using a Mac, but a system with Windows installed.
Macs are really only good for work and stuff like drawing.
Yeah that’s true, and I’m not a pc gamer, I play on console. However, Cave Story has had no official releases on non-Nintendo consoles, and there’s a lot of people who only have a ps4 or xbone and don’t play games on pc. Those people might well be Mac users who use it to play a little bit of games here and there, and cave story could become inaccessible to them.

Jun 28, 2018 at 11:22 PM
War criminal
Kinda hard to believe people will actually buy a mac for gaming while they already have a pc, but don't play games on it. It sounds very pointless, if you ask me.

Jun 28, 2018 at 11:23 PM
Kinda hard to believe people will actually buy a mac for gaming while they already have a pc, but don't play games on it. It sounds very pointless, if you ask me.
What? People don’t buy macs for gaming. Who suggested that?

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2018 at 8:51 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Most people who join here are young enough to be relying on whatever computer their parents bought and don't have money to spend on a computer.

I was 14 when I joined here, my family had apple products, that was my forced hand at that age. That's what I think Yoshi is implying without saying it directly.

Jul 1, 2018 at 8:59 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I've never owned a Mac and I've used them so sparingly I can't actually form a solid opinion on them, so I can't really comment on using a Mac for playing video games. But looking at this thread I can safely assume that people don't really rely on Macs to play PC games a whole lot. Steam's hardware and software survey backs me up on this front if you look at what type of OS Steam users use (SPOILERS: literally 3% of Steam users actually use any form of MacOS). That being said, Steam isn't the only gaming platform that people use, but look anywhere and it's a pretty widespread idea that you shouldn't be playing PC games on a Mac to begin with. So, I'm not SUPER bummed out that most iterations of PC Cave Story will be killed off on MacOS as Cave Story is available on so many platforms, but I can definitely see why Mac owners could be moderately disappointed if they have a Steam account with CS+ or just want to play some old fashion CS.

Jul 1, 2018 at 9:05 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I've never owned a Mac and I've used them so sparingly I can't actually form a solid opinion on them, so I can't really comment on using a Mac for playing video games.

Me neither, man. Way too expensive for my family.

Jul 1, 2018 at 9:11 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Oh, I know, man! With that type of money I can build something so much more powerful!

Jul 2, 2018 at 3:25 AM
Jul 4, 2018 at 10:46 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
What's a Mac?

Jul 4, 2018 at 8:17 PM
Operating system developed by apple since the late 90s iirc. Generally inferior to windows.

Jul 5, 2018 at 12:30 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"