The first time you played Cave Story...

Apr 11, 2011 at 5:33 AM
A old relic from older days
"..."
I hadn't thought of it in a funeral sense. Hmm....

White is one of my favorites, it hit me pretty hard when I first heard it because it was like YEARS after I first played Cave Story by the time I found it. Sort of like one last little gift the game was saving for me. It just seems to embody King so well, though I'm not really sure how to explain why.

Apr 12, 2011 at 10:55 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Ah, so I'm not the only one who Originally thought Toroko's theme and White as sad funeral songs. Although I can see how Torokos theme can also be seen as a celebration of her life then the morning of her needless death.

Apr 27, 2011 at 3:36 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
First time I played Cave Story I had a little knowledge on which to base myself off of. The only thought I had was: "Where the hell is Curly Brace, because I'm saving her ass.". I cried like a little bitch when I didn't save her in the Waterway.

May 17, 2011 at 9:01 PM
/end
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
How did you know you needed to save Curly Brace?

Oct 29, 2011 at 10:43 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
The first time I played Cave Story, I was 8. I don't think I had emotions back then, because when Curly and Booster died, I didn't care. I did have happiness though. Like when I killed the Undead Core. And anger. Like when I got onto the Balcony and got killed by the falling blocks.

Oct 30, 2011 at 2:33 AM
Discord Group Moderator
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
First time I play cave story , I had look at ten walkthroughs and watched a youtube guide, and it still surprised me

Especialy the hell run part.:balrog:

Oct 30, 2011 at 3:44 AM
"Huzzah!"
How did you start playing cave story?

I've been wondering how everyone has found/started playing cave story.(I've searched, and found nothing) I started playing cave story when my friend gave me a disc with cave story and an snes emulator (to play earthbound) on it.:balrog:
EDIT: *Facepalm* epic dumbness on my part

Oct 30, 2011 at 3:49 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
linkruler said:
I've been wondering how everyone has found/started playing cave story.(I've searched, and found nothing)

Surprisingly, it was on the first page of general discussion
Merge'd

Nov 16, 2011 at 6:09 AM
Banned
"Fresh from the Bakery"
The story about how I found Cave Story.
For female character my favorite would be Toroko, because Sue is your typical [edit]ing whiny princess and Curly just won't shut up. But my real favorite character would be Balrog because he is the reason I found this game (And I thought he was the final boss, making the game sound not so serious at all)
I saw his picture in some random guy sig, and I felt like 'I think I saw that thing somewhere (No idea where)' and Googled 'Huzzah toaster' and saw the video 'HUZZAH!!' (See for yourself) and Cave Story related video. So I googled up Cave Story and found this site.

First playthrough:

In the first cave I though Quote was some round-headed green-nosed robot (Because I missed out his other eye)
I explored the cave and got killed by the door monster. So I went left and 'borrowed' the hermit's gun. When the second transmission come up I thought 'This 'Sue' must seriously trashed her PC.' after that I killed all the critters while making my way to have my revenge on the door monster.
When I first saw Toroko I thought she was going to survive until the end of the game. King really looked like some villain and when I landed near him I was like 'Serve you right' I wandered around a bit before I collected the pendant and saw Toroko. When I wandered around the village again and into the Storehouse. When Balrog popped up I thought 'Wait, wait WAIT! I thought this guy is the ultimate boss!' When Misery popped up I still believed Balrog would be the final boss 'Meh, he'll pull some kind of stunt like Kefka and overthrow the Doctor' I decided I'm going to rescue Toroko and talked to Jack (I thought he was the village leader) but when Jack mentioned King I was confused 'Wait, There's this fisher mimiga, Toroko, the fat mimiga, the flower mimiga, the bully mimiga and Jack. Is that flower guy the king?' I was surprised when I found out King was 'King' and not some petty villain. -Insert Arthur house stuffs here-
When I first met Sue I thought she was some mimiga living here (And Igor to be some kind of neighbor, seriously) because I thought she was a human. -Insert more stuffs here- when I met Booster I thought he was the Doctor, but only for a few moment because Kazuma mentioned "Professor"
-Insert moar- I only realized Quote got a square face when I met Curly -insert Omega stuffs- I thought Jenka lived in the far right side of the map and went on a long trek only to find out she was very near the residence house.

I'm tired of typing...

Nov 19, 2011 at 12:46 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I think the very first thing I ever said while playing Cave Story was "OW. SPIKES HURT."

Then it went from "Oh crap I CAN SHOOT STUFF" to "Man, that toaster looking guy is pretty cool!" to "BAAAAAAAASIIIIIIIIL!!!!" Oh, the fun.

Nov 20, 2011 at 4:25 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Hmm... I don't quite remember when I first played, or where I found the game. But I do remember playing the game.
I remember mainly one thing from my first play through, that's going through the water way after Curly died.
Seeing her dead kind of weighed down on me, and through the place, I was like, "Woah..." and my mind was racing, I really didn't expcept it to happen.

I also remember trying to take down the undead core with the Machine Gun and around 38-ish health.

Oh and by the way, Cave Story was the first game where I cried over something in a video game.

Nov 22, 2011 at 5:25 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
The 1st time I played Cave Story, It was last Summer. Most of this Platforming is new to me, I remember trying 20 times to get the 1st Health Upgrade. Then I held down "Z" and the world came together. I had i generally easy time, but anytime Eyes of Flame plays, I'm Screwed. I originally thought that Curly would live had i just left her dead. But no. So i started the game over. ABSOLUTELY FAILED AT MONSTER X! And Core. And The final Cave (Hidden). I never got the Regular Final Cave so.... Yeah.... Monster X is my 3rd Nightmare boss of all time. But I got through Hell easily. Dumb*** me never got it through my head that Heavy Press Drops a lightning bolt at the begining of the fight, and THAT HE KILLS YOU WHEN HE FALLS! Ballos died easily, only 3 tries. That's All Folks.

Nov 22, 2011 at 6:34 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
It actually was like I was being obsessed by fell in love with Curly Brace!!!! I played that game 4 2 days and then when i finished in da 2 modes possible, i tried da mode of Curly Brace´s Story!!!! It was awesome, i also did some artwork and published on the artwork of cavestory.com (the artwork is there).

after finishing curly´s story i tried da Rarlen's Sanctuary, then Towers, then WTF!! Story, and then Dead Story (imposible to beat it).
Then Stupid Story (very very very STUPID!!!) and then Metal Gear Story, then Jenkas Nightmare (very late to get info of that mode) and then Mimiga Army, oh!!! the second mode i tried was King's Story, I LOOOOVE THAT GAME!!!!

AND I MENTIONED I'M FAN OF BALFROG? WELL, I THINK THATS ALL :3
READ IT PLEASE

Nov 22, 2011 at 7:06 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
A long history of nothingness for me, but whatever.. Earliest memory I have is back when I was 15, I bumped into some furry mimiga pr0nz on some unspecified website which I care too little about to recall. Those images had "Cave_story" in the tags - obviously I had no idea wtf a cave story was, and so I paid it little heed, but the two words obviously stuck. Over the years I kept coming across mimiga fan art, mostly poorly-drawn fan-made characters, reference sheets and such; but they all mentioned "cave story" in their image descriptions. I was intrigued during this 2-3 year period, but never went digging for more information on the game. Not sure why, though I kinda wish that I had.

About a year ago, I spotted Cave Story in the Wii shop and I skimmed through the description, looked at the pictures ... "So it's about rabbit people being terrorized by a 'sky dragon?' Eh, I don't like rabbits.. and judging by the screenshots it doesn't look so great." I shrugged it off (yet again,) but I also learned that the original version was free. A few months after that, i'd just finished reading some random novel (which I rarely do because books like to dick with my emotions.) I needed something to get my mind off the damn book, and I had some free time on my hands so I googled Cave Story, found this website and started playing..

I finish the PC version after 7 or 8 hours, realizing I hadn't known shit about the game all those years, and then I instantly turned on the Wii and purchased it so that I could play it a second time. (I got the standard ending, and felt like a jerk when I realized you could prevent curly from drowning - The old codger fell down the chasm, and despite having the L3 machine gun with me I jumped down to make sure that he was alright.. Thus accidentally killing him.) >.>;

So it may have taken me 5 and a half years to get here, but that game has been lingering around me for as long as I can remember.

--

The first time I actually played it, I was wondering "why the hell am I a person and not a bunny thing?" So my expectations were all wrong, and by the time i'd reached the Egg Corridor I was pretty much hooked. Sue is definitely my favourite, but I think Toroko was the one who sold me; she was the first one I took a liking to, the first to die, and the only one who's death actually made me feel something. After she died I clung to Sue for the remainder of the game, I really didn't want her to suffer the same fate.

So the first 30 minutes was mostly a learning experience. The first half was mostly care-free run & gun enthusiasm, and after I killed Toroko it put things into perspective for me - gtfo the Labyrinth, find Sue, haul ass off the island. So that's what I tried to do for the remainder of the game.

Nov 23, 2011 at 6:30 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
hello,
about 3-4 years ago,the first time i saw cave story was at school a guy with a laptop was having his character jumping around shooting bats and making them spit out Doritos.
Now the first time I actually played cave story was when my brother came home with it one day.
I strangely saw balrog and king familiar from somewhere.
first play-through was i got the machine gun and booster 0.8 and left curly at the core.
second play-through left curly in waterway cabin.
and the next one she was left at the plantation.
And then i finally found out how to make things work.
And a couple years later i remembered this game and played some mods.
and etc.

Nov 26, 2011 at 6:09 AM
Little Bitch in Sheep Clothing
"..."
First words on the game:
"Fuck" (After Curly died on my back)

Dec 3, 2011 at 5:51 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I found out about cave story via a dude who i used to play tf2 with back in '07.
It went something like this :
Oh look, a heart box and a DOS floppy disk, okay I asume this must be the save. *Goes through door* The right is blocked so i'll go left. *a short trip later* Oh look, a tube with a heart, reminds me of metroid. *picks it up* EPIC. *steals polar star* Yay for petty theft! *kills some bats* This is awesome! *Picks up experiance* Oh wow, an upgrade :D! *makes his way to the exit, gets hit* level down? Bullshit! *tries to exit the door, gets hit* :c.

*Egg Corridor*
Hey look, a cute looking robot, i'm going to ignore him for now and go check out that white thing at the- Baaah!.

*Balrog Toad Boss* Oh god! This is going to be tough, *shoots with his fireball gun* Well this is freaking useless (if only i knew) *pulls out polar star* I'm going to own you with my polar star! *dies*

*Labyrinth Core*
That robot looks f'ed up :I. I wonder what's over here... *walks right* oh cool a tow rope, I wonder what it's for.
*after the battle* Oh so now i get the bubble Curly has been using all this time, Awesome. *talks to curly* *takes her with him* Okay so now i'm carrying her around. *The fan section* Hey! There was a door on that platform! *Curly's life force has been terminated* >:C *reload* *reaches the door* Oh cool a save point. *reads the bookshelf* *Does everything to drain the water from Curly and takes her with him* Maybe she'll wake up and help me again! *fights the fish boss* *Curly floats away* ALL DAT WERK FOR NOTHIN?!?!

So, I think you guys get the idea.