The Cave Story soundtrack redone in the MOTHER 3 sound format. Ah.

Sep 20, 2015 at 2:46 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Ok, this is my first post on the forum, so I might as well make it count.

So, I did a rearrangement of the Cave Story soundtrack (Most of it anyway, I have yet to even touch Access or rearrange Wind Forretress) in the Mother 3 soundfont. I started with White (My favorite track) and ended this morning with atmospheric songs like Balcony, Seal Chamber and Tyrant. So far, there about 37 songs, about 34 of the 42 in-game songs have been rearranged. Jenka 1, Cave Story and Last Cave have two versions that are based on conditions specialized in the title. I drew huge inspirations from DM Dokuro's cover album and Vernian Process' arrangements. Also, the only things I really changed about the original songs is the drum track, because I'm a drummer and that's the only thing I can really do justice in changing. The songs are pretty much done, so now I just need outside ears to critique the tracks before I loop and post the full versions. The link (If it works) is right here.

...WAIT.

Okay whoopsie, you didn't need to see that (Not that is was that embarrassing). Heh, the ACTUAL link is right here. Listen and (hopefully) enjoy! Comment down below as you see fit and about anything you want to know!

Also, sidenote: There is no Violin in the Mother 3 soundfont. There is, however, String Ensemble 1 & 2, which I used as well, but it just doesn't do the same job a Violin does. In it's place I used the Violin from the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team soundfont. Okay, I'll shut up now.

Sep 20, 2015 at 4:51 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I've heard good things of Mother 3...but I've never played anything from the series ^_^;

Irregardless, you've got some sweet tunes there!

I did notice that Geothermal has a small swath of nothingness at the end, not sure if that was intentional or I failed to download it properly.

Sep 20, 2015 at 5:30 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I did notice that Geothermal has a small swath of nothingness at the end, not sure if that was intentional or I failed to download it properly.

Yeah, something's wrong with that song. For some reason, when I convert it to MP3/play to file it does that. There's no problem when I play the MID itself, and it doesn't do this when I record the looped song. Eh, whatever.

I'm glad you like it thus far. And you should definitely play Mother 3. I'm definitely not doing the soundfont or soundtrack justice with these songs.

Sep 20, 2015 at 5:05 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I really enjoy remakes of soundtracks with different soundfonts, and this is no exception. I've never played Mother 3, but I really like the sounds of the instruments and what you've done with them. I've listened to the remakes of my favorite songs, and so far, they're all faithful recreations that make good use of the various instruments. Do you plan on uploading these to YouTube? I usually prefer to listen to music on that, and I'm sure it would give this more exposure.

Sep 21, 2015 at 12:08 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I really enjoy remakes of soundtracks with different soundfonts, and this is no exception. I've never played Mother 3, but I really like the sounds of the instruments and what you've done with them. I've listened to the remakes of my favorite songs, and so far, they're all faithful recreations that make good use of the various instruments. Do you plan on uploading these to YouTube? I usually prefer to listen to music on that, and I'm sure it would give this more exposure.

Oh! Thanks for the kind words, dude. Especially from a music maker such as yourself.

And with the Youtube upload thing, probably. I would do soundcloud, but that would provide me with significantly less traction and I'm running out of upload time on that. So, hopefully yes.

However, I don't think I'm done with the soundtrack yet. I feel the Trombone/Bassoon track is too quiet and maybe the Rock Organ in Living Waterway is as well. There's some other composition stuff I gotta do. Or maybe that's just my crappy headphones.

Thanks again for the kind words! They really mean a lot to me.

Awh I thought it was Mother 3 in ORG

Still pretty good though, +1

I actually did the menu theme, "As you Wish" in ORG, but that was back when Iwata passed away. It was more a personal tribute, but who knows? Maybe I'll upload that someday.

And thanks, I suppose. Didn't know this website used a +1 system akin to Reddit or Google Plus, but hey. You learn something new everyday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 21, 2015 at 12:41 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
And thanks, I suppose. Didn't know this website used a +1 system akin to Reddit or Google Plus, but hey. You learn something new everyday.
It doesn't though, that's just Fatih being Fatih, I guess?

Sep 22, 2015 at 6:45 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Minor updates to the tracks White, Last Battle and Toroko's Theme. White's bass is more consistent with the original song, and Toroko's Theme and Last Battle have slightly edited drum tracks, with Toroko's drum tracks more faithful to the original song.

It doesn't though, that's just Fatih being Fatih, I guess?
Yeah, it's a Fatih thing.

I knew that. I was simply making a snide comment. No offense to Faith of course. At least, not directly.

Sep 22, 2015 at 3:38 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
How long did this all take to make, by the way?

Long, drawn-out answer: In total, including how much time balancing, re-listening and how long looping and fade outs would take? Anywhere from about 1 hour to 30 minutes each. It is an arrangement after all, I'm simply assigning each melody an instrument, seeing what works and adjusting volume, panning and instruments for whatever doesn't.

Short answer: I dunno, A week total? It really varies from song to song and what I want to do with it.

Sep 30, 2015 at 1:52 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
UPDATE: I have looped each track twice and added the Fanfares and the Game Over melody. Geothermal still has that nothingness at the end so I'll probably be editing that out on Audacity when I do prepare them for Youtube upload.

Oh, wow, you have great determination. I think that's a gift, really.

Anyway I finally got around to listening to them all, and +1 some more. Great work.

I wouldn't say I had determination, it's more like these songs were a convenient distraction from school and a good way to procrasrinate while being productive, if that makes any sense.

Anyway, thanks for listening to the rest of the soundtrack, as well as the +1. Even though it ultimately means nothing in the physical sense, I can assure you that it means everything in the emotional sense.

Oct 30, 2015 at 12:02 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Ok! I'm finally finished with the MOTHER 3 + CAVE STORY soundtrack thing I've been doing for who knows how long. I've looped and faded out every song I did and given the songs a numerical order, separated the songs into two sets and made album covers for each of them. I even zipped the entire album for easy download access. The above link still works so until I get a youtube video working and rendered, it will have to do. I hope you enjoy!

Oct 30, 2015 at 10:41 AM
Pretty darn awesome overall! The zip file helps since last time I had to manually download each song, all on a mobile device ^_^;

Nov 3, 2015 at 11:34 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Okay, so I had to delete some songs in the process, but I uploaded it to Soundcloud. I'll link that below, but untill I get a youtube video uploaded and running, that'll be where you'll have to listen to it for now.

Pretty darn awesome overall! The zip file helps since last time I had to manually download each song, all on a mobile device ^_^;

Yeah, I'm real sorry about that. I meant to zip them sooner, but I told myself that I wouldn't do that until I had a full album done. Sorry again, 8ut them's the 8r8ks!!!!!!!!

Soundcloud

Jan 7, 2016 at 1:01 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Okay, So I uploaded them to Youtube a couple weeks ago. Here are some of my personal favorites. (Also, I may do a short playthrough of CS+ with the Mother 3 covers edited in the game.)

White:
Running Hell:
Gestation:
Oppression:
Scorching Back:
Last Battle:
Safety:
Labyrinth Fight:
Geothermal:
Pier Walk:
Cave Story (Title Mix):
Moonsong:

Jan 7, 2016 at 1:48 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Sorry about the extra post, I noticed that these songs were actually much better than I thought they were.

Here's the full playlist.
Eyes of Flame:
On to Grasstown:
Mischievous Robot:
Jenka 2:
Meltdown 2:
The Way Back Home:
Last Cave (Best Ending Mix):
Fanfares & Game Over:
Halloween 2:
Wind Fortress:

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2016 at 1:19 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
So I did that video where I modded these songs into the game by modifying CS+'s files. I'll post it below.

There it is.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2016 at 2:12 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
EDIT: I decided to change the title. Mainly because, NO ONE, besides the above 3, had seen or showed signs of seeing it. Which I appreciate greatly, I really do. But I'm kind miffed that no one else had checked it out. Whatever, I think I'm just being salty and I changed the thread so people actually know what it is.

Also before I forget, here's a folder containing all of the covers I've done in the past in the Mother 3/GBA sound format. It's all in .OGG format, so I hope y'all don't mind. The CS + M3 album should be there too. Check back whenever, I update semifrequently.