TF2 is free forever.

Jun 24, 2011 at 5:52 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Omega said:
this could end up taking even longer then ff7 on to my ps3.

p130045-0-58ggz.jpg

Jun 24, 2011 at 8:38 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Three times fast

cultr1 said:
Checking the free-to-play FAQ, it stated that free members won't find "rare or cosmetic items." I'm assuming "cosmetic items" means hats, pins, badges, etc., but rare items? What classifies a rare item? Does it mean genuine items, the kind you get as an in-game promotion for another game?
Heck if I know.
Also, 50 backpack slots lol
Looking at the new Crafting, where we get all the blueprints now instead of having to know the recipe, there's a Rare and Special category, which is Headgear and the Horseless Headless Horsemann's craftables respectably, so it most likely is all hats and a few special things like the Headtaker. All other weapons seem to fall under the Common category. But that still leaves open things like medals or Duel Minigames...
I wonder if this means we're not going to get any more secret craftable recopies, that'd be sad...

Jun 24, 2011 at 8:39 PM
Member Title
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Wait, if it's free then will the people who actually spent money on it be reimbursed? I mean, Valve can't just leave us in the cold like that.

Jun 24, 2011 at 8:46 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Why would they give back all their money? You do get some benefits like itemspace and some kind of hat. And don't the hours (and hours?) you've spent playing the game before now have some value?

That'd be like people who bought DVD players in 1994 asking for full refunds because the price dropped ten years later.

Jun 24, 2011 at 8:48 PM
Demon taming, headphone wearing, casanova
atleast its still online compatible.

Jun 24, 2011 at 8:55 PM
Member Title
Noxid said:
That'd be like people who bought DVD players in 1994 asking for full refunds because the price dropped ten years later.

Yeah, I suppose so.

Maybe I was overcritical because I only purchased the game earlier this year, but others have been playing since October of 2007.

Jun 24, 2011 at 8:56 PM
Been here way too long...
Omega said:
atleast its still online compatible.

Nope. Free players can't play online. Says so on the TF2 blog.

Jun 24, 2011 at 9:00 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Jun 24, 2011 at 9:03 PM
Nice joke fab for a second there i thought you were serius and almost died because of the overwhelming sadness.

Jun 24, 2011 at 10:55 PM
Cave Story said:
Wait, if it's free then will the people who actually spent money on it be reimbursed? I mean, Valve can't just leave us in the cold like that.

Sure, you can have your $10 back, if you want to downgrade to a free account. That's what nets you a premium account. If you didn't like hats, rare weapons, crafting, trading, or backpack slots, feel free to complain.

Also, Lowell, "blueprints" has always referred to "recipes." saying they get fewer "blueprints" means they can craft fewer things (hats, rare weapons, etc.). Nobody is getting "blueprints," because you have those already. "craft scrap metal," "fabricate class token," those are blueprints.

Jun 24, 2011 at 10:58 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Even though it's free, I still won't be playing this.

Not until I get a better computer at least, and even then...

Jun 24, 2011 at 11:32 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Unless it was like this during my hiatus

cultr1 said:
Also, Lowell, "blueprints" has always referred to "recipes." saying they get fewer "blueprints" means they can craft fewer things (hats, rare weapons, etc.). Nobody is getting "blueprints," because you have those already. "craft scrap metal," "fabricate class token," those are blueprints.
That's not what I meant.
What I was saying was before this update whenever you wanted to craft something, you just started putting items in a general box until it matched a current blueprint/recipe. Now we don't get that, we have to select an already set-up blueprint and simply fill what it tells us to do.
So instead of having to 'find' these recipes and how to craft things {Or just look on the Wiki}, we now 'get' all the blueprints, it tells us what can be crafted and how, no more exploring.

Jun 24, 2011 at 11:53 PM
Ah, sorry, I haven't updated yet, as I am driving to California D:
So are these blueprints released to players yet? could I find them on the wiki or something? Because I'd like to get an idea of what these blueprints are.

Jun 25, 2011 at 12:34 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
This is becoming a circle

cultr1 said:
Ah, sorry, I haven't updated yet, as I am driving to California D:
So are these blueprints released to players yet? could I find them on the wiki or something? Because I'd like to get an idea of what these blueprints are.
Er, now you've lost me as well.
With the new crafting system, we automatically get to see -all- the recipes/blueprints. You simply select the item you want, be it the HHH's Headtaker, a random hat, or even the new Quick-fix, and it automatically lists exactly what you need to craft it, and you fill in those slots to make it.

Last time I played, you just got a general box where you put items in, and when you had the proper recipe, you hit "Craft" and if it was correct, you'd get the new item. The TFWiki had the complete list, but now it's sorta useless since we no longer do it that way.

Here's the Wiki, still describing the old way. {At the time of posting}
p130058-0-2011032305552021backpackcraft.png
And with this image you can see the old crafting system.
You have your backpack, the crafting area, and known blueprints which is only added to if you craft a new item who's recipe was unknown to you.
That no longer exists, because now you basically 'know' all blueprints from the getgo, and simply pick which one you want to try and craft, removing the crafting area and 'exploration' part completely. Now you just get four categories to pick from, Crafting Items {Like scrap/reclaim/refined metal and class tokens}, Common Items {Basically all weapons}, Rare {Hats}, and Special {HHH's}, and then if you click any of the items listed, the recipe is shown and you can attempt to craft it, if you have the proper items.
Note free players get reduced blueprints, I don't know if that just means the Rare/Special categories are gone, or if some of the Commons are missing too.

Does that clear it up?

Jun 25, 2011 at 12:40 AM
Ah, I see now.
The only difference is that premium players have all the recipes pre-loaded, kinda like having the crafting wiki at your disposal in-game.

Poor free players.

Jun 25, 2011 at 12:51 AM
Been here way too long...
How nice that it's free. Now I can not play it for the same price as before.
It's just one of those games that I can see is good but I just can't get into it.

Jun 25, 2011 at 12:57 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
That should do it

cultr1 said:
Ah, I see now.
The only difference is that premium players have all the recipes pre-loaded, kinda like having the crafting wiki at your disposal in-game.

Poor free players.
Except, because there's no more 'general crafting', can only craft the blueprints you can see, there's no way for them to even attempt crafting other things if they're not listed.
Still, according to the Wiki you can apparently get any item in the store, minus the Crate Keys, Secret Saxton, Pile 'o Gifts, and the HHH hats, from just drops; and there's nothing anywhere that says Free Players get reduced drops.
Hopefully it's up to date, because I really, really want the new Meet the Medic taunt.

Jun 26, 2011 at 2:29 PM
I finished downloading TF2 and so far it's great.

Aug 18, 2011 at 9:13 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
so what about that cave story forums tf2 server? :(

Aug 18, 2011 at 4:34 PM
Member Title
Hey, I know I'd play on it a lot.