Teterraro

May 15, 2011 at 7:29 AM
Assistance
"All your forum are belong to us!"
The almighty Ralren and the Legendary Grave.exe present after tumultuous amounts of awesome...
diph.php

Teterraro is everything. It is you, it is the world. Teterraro knows everything. You will never escape from Teterraro, you will never defeat Teterraro.

Hello, this is Ralren, obviously you guys know me. With the celebration of my joining anniversary (May 6th, 2009), me and a good friend of mine, Grave.exe will proudly present the very, very last Cavestory mod made by yours truly. First things first though, does this relate to any Cavestory mod that I've made in the past? No. This mod has absolutely nothing to do with Cavestory, it's something completely different. No Mimigas, no Quotes, no Balrgos.. It's all custom and new.

There is no storyline in Teterraro. Not even a little smirk of storyline.. All you know is that you're in a dreamworld. Everything in Teterraro doesn't make any sense. Clouds don't move, Monsters don't make sense, Characters don't make sense.. It's just a dream..

What we want to do is to make players confused. We want them to get inside the mod, and try to dissect every tiny piece of symbolic information, and come up with theories. In Teterraro, we also want players to feel differently as they play the game.. You could consider this a big interactive "Mind-Fuck" if you wish.

The experience in Teterraro will be an experience that none of you have ever felt before.. Ambient music, mysterious sounds.. Lush, amazing environments.. Something you would never expect from a mod. The gameplay mechanic will also be slightly altered, introducing the new "Shell Selection System".

In the beginning of the mod, you will hear words from it.. yourself, that is. Teterraro. It says words to you, with no sign of introduction whatsoever. Right after you "talk to yourself", or "the world tells you", you will spawn from a gate of souls. There, you appear as a mysterious soul.. anxiously waiting to find a body to take over.

There are three realms in Teterraro. Equinox, Illiriumer, and Wrath.

Equinox is where you start, being the most safest, comforting area in the mod.. It will even make you feel at home, loving every second of it.. Chimes and wind blows through the massive hallways of countless sky-scraping towers.. Equinox's setting is "Heavenly", taking place high above the mellow skies.. As you progress through the mod, you will descend lower from the unexpected realm Illiriumer, to the undefinable realm of Wrath. Teterraro will not allow us to speak of these other two realms, because they are not lucid. No one understands or remembers these realms unless they experience it themselves..

"SHELLS" MECHANIC:

What are "shells"? They are individuals, like you. They do things just like you, but to be under control of a soul. Each shell has a different weapon, and a special aspect to them. Some of these shells have high health, but with a very poor weapon, while some other shells have strong weapons, but have average to low health. Some shells will have weapons that can shoot through walls, etc. Each level in Teterraro will require you to switch through different shells, and they can be switched in savepoints (Checkpoints) at any time during the levels. You unlock shells by either completing or starting a new level. Some shells can be unlocked by finding secrets.

During the development of Teterraro, I will be doing the TSC, Mapping, Spriting, Music, and concepts. Grave will be doing the same with me together. We're very excited to introduce Teterraro to the community, and we hope all of you hold on tight, because this will be a mod experience like none-other. Teterraro is known to be a "Hell Mod", being fast paced and nothing but traps and full-fledged action.

MEDIA:

WORK IN PROGRESS SCRENSHOTS, THIS IS NOT FINAL:

CONCEPT ART:

From the "What is this?" Thread
(Warning: Some of the stuff in this bio isn't final. Dont expect to see the same results):

Ralren said:
Teterraro is what it is. It's a mod based off of a dream, but in reality. This mod is somewhat of a.. promotional thing for a planned.. project? O:

Teterraro has no story, or plot. It's just mindless hardcore havoc. Consider it a hell mod, but with traps, bosses, etc. There are "classes" that can be chosen in Teterraro, each one having a special unique weapon.

In the beginning, you play as a soul from where-ever, located in this.. lovely, heavenly world of blissful dreams. Clouds reach into the high buildings, fogging the sparkling hallways, crystals spread down the floors up to the ceilings.. You feel like you're at home, safe.. shrouded in comfort and relaxation.

Statues of glowing bodies are in the next room, staring straight back at you, with emotionless eyes.. You choose a statue, and merge your wispy body within it, causing you to live and breathe as that figure. Each statue is a class, and once chosen, you cannot go back and choose another. You're stuck with him/her.

As you progress through the mod, environments slowly drift into insanity, nightmarish abominations dwelling beneath the world.. It's like descending into hell from the skies above. (I'm not christian, but I like the concept of heaven and hell, it's interesting.)

You see flashes of nightmarish visions.. Will you be able to turn this hellish dreamworld the same way the heavenly dreamworld is? Teterraro knows the answer. Teterraro is who you are, Teterraro is the entire world of this mod.. Teterraro is your enemy, or is it your friend? Dreams are confusing.. You will never understand Teterraro.

Since these are dreams all merged in one world.. It will contain obscure images.. I'm willing to be using all of these ideas that the community brought up, and contribute them into the mod. Expect to see Teterraro this summer, not only this is a promotional mod for a planned upcoming project, but It's also for the celebration of Ralren's anniversary! I've been here for a good 2 years.. It seems like it was only yesterday..

EQUINOX "HEAVEN" - REALM OF BLISSFUL, LUCID DREAMS --

The realm of comfort, light, and clouds.. Crystals. Lucid dreaming ensues, as the whole world moves dynamically, nothing will ever be the same.. Once you leave a map, and you come back, the entire map will not look the same. Equinox is the embodiment of life and perfection.. The beautiful feeling of the ocean breeze sways upon the realm, leaving wonderful chimes and ambiance.. Teterraro told me.. and I never forgot.

ILLIRIUMER "BALANCE" - REALM OF DREAMS --

I do not remember such a dream, Teterraro.. Hm, Teterraro will never tell us unless we experience such a place ourselves, it seems..

WRATH "HELL" - REALM OF NIGHTMARES --

Teterraro will never speak of Nightmares.. It hates us all, that's all we know from Teterraro.

CONFIRMED TESTERS FOR DEMO 1:
Congratulations to:

Cultr1
Woodenrat
Wilddesu
Cripplechair
Cave Story
Doublethink
Woodenrat
Carrotlord
Sexplosive
Safusaka
Lace

May 15, 2011 at 7:36 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hello, I'm the friend that is working on the mod with Ralren. I will be doing the music, spriting, and contributing map and game concepts/ideas. I hope you guys like the ideas we have put out so far and are as excited as we are for it!

I will hopefully be posting on here more often so i hope to see you around!

May 15, 2011 at 8:49 AM
A old relic from older days
"..."
So you're Ralren's partner in crime, welcome to the forums! I'm greatly looking forward to playing Teterraro, you guys have my support. Hope the development process runs smoothly for you guys!

May 15, 2011 at 12:28 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Blue glassy tileset reminds me of The Future

This is a good thing

May 15, 2011 at 12:51 PM
Member Title
Looks cool, I'll make sure to play it when it's released. Does it take place underwater or near the ocean? It really makes me think of something like a cave on a coast.

Edit: Also, nice to meet you Grave and welcome to the forums!

Edit Edit: I read the description from the ideas thread, and I think that idea would be cooler than some cave on some coast :D.

Now, I really can't wait for this mod. Is the ETA still this Summer?

May 15, 2011 at 5:01 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Graphics - Backgrounds, character sprite, and tiles so far - all amazing.
Initial storyline / description - sounds incredible.

Keep up your motivation, guys.

Edit: Oh man, instantaneous cover art.

May 15, 2011 at 5:33 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Nothing pumps up a community more than screenies

So Grave(.exe), what are you and Ralren thinking in terms of UI design?
It looks like you're using default at this stage of game development, but I'm sure you have something in mind.

May 15, 2011 at 6:16 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I don't mean to sound rude but history repeats itself and you'll probably abandon this one as well :D

It still looks amazing.

May 15, 2011 at 6:28 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
I can't wait for this. I love you mah bois! :D I hope I can help somehow.

And hush wr. With grave by his side he prolly won't abandon it

May 15, 2011 at 7:50 PM
Pirate Member
Let's hope.

May 15, 2011 at 9:35 PM
Assistance
Cripplechair said:
So you're Ralren's partner in crime, welcome to the forums! I'm greatly looking forward to playing Teterraro, you guys have my support. Hope the development process runs smoothly for you guys!

Thanks Cripplechair! Grave.exe also thanks you for the greeting, hehe.
It's always nice to have support from the community, I love that kind of behavior. :3

Cave Story said:
Looks cool, I'll make sure to play it when it's released. Does it take place underwater or near the ocean? It really makes me think of something like a cave on a coast.

Edit: Also, nice to meet you Grave and welcome to the forums!

Edit Edit: I read the description from the ideas thread, and I think that idea would be cooler than some cave on some coast :p.

Now, I really can't wait for this mod. Is the ETA still this Summer?

Teterraro takes place in three realms of undefinable dreamworlds. There may be a point where you would feel that's not where you are.. Which is something we want players to feel.

The ETA would most likely be during the summer, yes. We cannot specify any dates, though, because things happen in life, and development will not be as slim during the days.

cultr1 said:
Nothing pumps up a community more than screenies

So Grave(.exe), what are you and Ralren thinking in terms of UI design?
It looks like you're using default at this stage of game development, but I'm sure you have something in mind.

Since Grave isn't here at the moment, I guess I can clarify about the UI setting. For now, the UI will stay the way how it is. Of course, we will be enhancing the UI so it doesn't clash with the game. So yes, default for now.

WoodenRat said:
I don't mean to sound rude but history repeats itself and you'll probably abandon this one as well :(

It still looks amazing.

Thanks, but since I'm developing this with another person, I'm sure my modding experience will be much different. We're both getting lots of motivation with it, and we're having fun with it, too.

WD said:
I can't wait for this. I love you mah bois! :D I hope I can help somehow.

And hush wr. With grave by his side he prolly won't abandon it

Woop! I'm sure you can, anyone can support Teterraro if they wish. ;3

May 15, 2011 at 11:05 PM
Pirate Member
Also can I be a beta tester? I was the greatest when you needed me for that mod I forgot the name of.

May 15, 2011 at 11:15 PM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
This looks super awesome

hit me up if you ever need anything

May 16, 2011 at 2:36 AM
Assistance
Tests for this mod will work the same way as the Tale Of The Broxxus tests. Random active members will be chosen to test when the mod is playable, and testable. With that being said, let me give out a surprise:

Everyone who has posted in this thread, before this specific post are going to be the members that can test, consider it a surprise for all of you special posters! ;3

Congratulations to:

Cultr1
Woodenrat
Wilddesu
Cripplechair
Cave Story
Doublethink
Woodenrat
Carrotlord
Sexplosive
Safusaka

May 16, 2011 at 2:55 AM
Assistance
Safusaka said:

Hehe, I'll be generous. I'll put you in the list, since you've been lurking on the threads for a while. Have fun when the test releases guys, We're all excited for it!

May 16, 2011 at 3:30 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
So are you gonna PM us or sumfin?
Carrier pidgeon with a USB drive?
Encoded through German Enigma machines?

Also, I can't wait for the first demo/first beta tester release :p

May 16, 2011 at 3:32 AM
Assistance
PMs will be given, along with a password-protected RAR file. o;

May 16, 2011 at 9:27 AM
Hax on....Hax off....
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I haven't really been following Cave Story mods for a while now, but this will definitely be something to look forward to. Good luck.

May 16, 2011 at 11:49 AM
Pirate Member
Ralren said:
Tests for this mod will work the same way as the Tale Of The Broxxus tests. Random active members will be chosen to test when the mod is playable, and testable. With that being said, let me give out a surprise:

Everyone who has posted in this thread, before this specific post are going to be the members that can test, consider it a surprise for all of you special posters! ;3

Congratulations to:

Cultr1
Woodenrat
Wilddesu
Cripplechair
Cave Story
Doublethink
Woodenrat
Carrotlord
Sexplosive
Safusaka

Oh hell yeah!