Ten Bloody Years

Aug 20, 2016 at 4:25 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Oh look at that

I didn't really know what to ultimately expect when I joined up, but for the most part it's been great watching the community develop and the things we've been able to produce. And I guess some of the people are kind of okay too :pignon: I still enjoy being here as much as I ever have, even if it hasn't always been sunshine and daisies, and I doubt I'll be leaving anytime soon.

I had slightly more of a plan for what to write up here but I haven't really had the time. It doesn't make a whole lot of difference, because this thread is for people to ask me things!!! They can be about me I guess, but I'd prefer for the main focus to be the site and its history, or my relation to it. I've got plenty to share :debug:

BRING ON ANOTHER TEN

Aug 20, 2016 at 4:45 AM
Been here way too long...
why aren't you gone yet?

Aug 20, 2016 at 5:10 AM
thinks dogs are cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
how did you and andwhy meet? (AKA how did you join the forums)
have you ever kissed andwhy (if answered with "no", would you ever kiss him, given the opportunity)
what were the forums like back when it first started/when you first joined?
would you say that the forums got worse as time went on?
what was your first impression of andwhy?
what was your relationship with skywelse like, if any existed at all?

am i REALLY COOL or TEH WURST

Aug 20, 2016 at 5:28 AM
leader of the meme team feat. tom, snaf and polad
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
are you the creator of cave story

Aug 20, 2016 at 6:00 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Welcome to club TEN

As for questions... any long departed forum members you miss in particular?

Aug 20, 2016 at 6:30 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
why aren't you gone yet?
Captain Fabulous said:
[2:05 PM] : but if you could elaborate on what it's like to be an active member of the forums for ten whole years, that would answer it
It's been mostly straightforward and pleasant, drama still crops up from time to time but the most hectic times are all long in the past now and these days the years zip by (insert_old_joke_here). It's never been perfect or anything but I maintain that compared to most of the other online communities I've encountered we manage ourselves pretty well. I do seem to have retained my interest a lot longer than most others have though, I've never gotten tired of playing mods and hanging out with everybody. I guess this is where I belong :v

If you want more specifics then do specify because I'm not going to be writing out ten years' worth of experience and opinions all at once :koron:

how did you and andwhy meet? (AKA how did you join the forums)
have you ever kissed andwhy (if answered with "no", would you ever kiss him, given the opportunity)
what were the forums like back when it first started/when you first joined?
would you say that the forums got worse as time went on?
what was your first impression of andwhy?
what was your relationship with skywelse like, if any existed at all?
-idk all I remember doing is searching the game after playing it and then finding this place
-I've already answered this
-Very quiet mostly, activity started to pick up when the tribute site and modding were introduced, and then the first posting boom started the year after I joined
-Not at all, things have mostly been very smooth during the second half of my time here and there's more creativity than ever
-He posted too much
-We never really said much to each other, even on the forums/while he was still here and I was a mod. Neither of us had a problem with each other or anything afaik, but that's about all. I'm thankful for him hosting it while he did, and eventually letting the new staff take over
am i REALLY COOL or TEH WURST
Yes

are you the creator of cave story
Depends, will you all owe me royalties?

Welcome to club TEN

As for questions... any long departed forum members you miss in particular?
I'll have a look and get back to this later

Aug 20, 2016 at 11:21 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Aug 20, 2016 at 2:26 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
It's true. I probably would have banned past me.
I'm still working on overtaking you, but that was a hell of a head start.

Anyways, what is your favourite forum meme of all time

Aug 20, 2016 at 3:21 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
How dead do you think Cave Story is currently?
I mean, it's been a very long time, and we've basically discussed everything that can be discussed. The game has been pulled apart, poked through, reverse engineered, modded, and we're pretty much done with trying to know things about it. Interest has faded away into a small clique, and... yeah, I guess you get what I'm trying to mean here, I'm bad with words. How long do you think these forums will continue? When will Cave Story's legacy finally just drift off into nothingness? Has it done so, already?
I genuinely fear about these things, but they seem inevitable.

Aug 20, 2016 at 3:59 PM
leader of the meme team feat. tom, snaf and polad
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Depends, will you all owe me royalties?

Yes.

Also; Not to rush you, but when's the mod archive getting finished? I'd love a way to redownload all the stuff I lost when my harddrive bit the dust.

Aug 20, 2016 at 4:16 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I mean, it's been a very long time, and we've basically discussed everything that can be discussed.
We've already discussed this already. :p

Aug 21, 2016 at 3:20 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Joined less then a year ago and I'm glad that even though I joined so far into this site's history and it's amazing this place is still active. I cannot fathom being here 10 years. That's insane dude. Congrats.

My question is the same as Spirit's...

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2016 at 4:02 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
(Still thinking of answers to other things. Anyone else can chime in about history as well, like I said I want this to be more about the site than me.)

How long do you think these forums will continue? When will Cave Story's legacy finally just drift off into nothingness? Has it done so, already?
I'm not overly worried, community activity has remained very stable for a long time now. User-made content is the lifeblood of forums like these and we're doing as well on that front as we ever have, bolstered by a large backlog as well as other shared interests (gaming or otherwise), a new chatroom that's larger and more accessible than ever and the occasional game server and whatnot. I don't think it's lost any of its charm as a modding platform either, due to its ability to encompass multiple creative outlets at once (level design, writing, aesthetics, etc) while being fairly easy to learn. As long as the web keeps growing and there's something new for someone here to discover it could last more or less indefinitely.

Also; Not to rush you, but when's the mod archive getting finished? I'd love a way to redownload all the stuff I lost when my harddrive bit the dust.
I really really just need to get some work finished at the moment, once that's done I'll be free as a bird

In retrospect getting involved in modcon probably wasn't the best choice when it came to leaving time to work on anything else

Still would've done it though

where have you been and why are you uppercase now?
I beg you're pardon young lady? :muscledoc:

Aug 21, 2016 at 5:55 AM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
It's nice to see how much time has passed and to look back at it. I can't wait for another 10, who knows what's on the other side!

Aug 21, 2016 at 7:18 PM
Been here way too long...
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
I was thinking about posting something again for the first time in years but I guess I'll come back next year on July 1st.

Aug 21, 2016 at 8:59 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I was thinking about posting something again for the first time in years but I guess I'll come back next year on July 1st.
Make sure to bring the fireworks on that day!

Anyway, congrats, DT, thank you for being such a constant and pleasant presence. Is there anything about Miraigamer in general that you would have liked to stay on with the Cave Story portion?

Aug 22, 2016 at 3:57 AM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Have you noticed the repeated, identical development in maturity of the average CSTSF member from the time they arrive onward? And if so, can you try and make exact sense of the stages and events that members go through after they join? I'm trying to make sense of it, because I am definitely noticing a pattern, but I'm guessing someone with more history on the site can describe it better.

Aug 22, 2016 at 2:50 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Good to see you back. It really has been years.

Is there anything about Miraigamer in general that you would have liked to stay on with the Cave Story portion?
Well the things left behind of any note were the Zelda 3C, XYZ and Gameflaws forums. Persomally the XYZ forum had some pretty neat threads in it that bit the dust when Miraigamer did.