Team to help release sequel to Jenka's Nightmare

Aug 17, 2015 at 4:05 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Doors said:
ok enough shitposting on my side here is a very important post for the development of the you
don't do this. you may want to do this but do not. make a mod by yourself - make it shitty. learn everything about modding and use your shittiness to stop being shitty. when you've learned more about the modding then you can ascend to a higher plane of being good at everything
you can do it i believe in you
andwhyisit said:
It's one of the unwritten rules about this place. Most new modders talk big, overcommit, realise the level of work involved, and then don't even bother starting. Anyone that commits anything to said non-existent mods are left feeling like they've wasted their time. Given that over half of all mods never get started you should by this point understand why no-one will want to collaborate with you unless you have first produced something.
Start small and work your way up.
If those statements aren't explaining things to the OP, then I don't know what other parts in the thread you've ignored.

Aug 17, 2015 at 4:14 AM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
TLincoln said:
If those statements aren't explaining things to the OP, then I don't know what other parts in the thread you've ignored.
I was talking specifically about dunc. His posts were unhelpful.

EDIT:

Although, the guy that dunc quoted was not so helpful either.

Aug 17, 2015 at 4:17 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
SuperJaws100 said:
All of that being said, as per usual dunc has managed to make the community sound abrasive and rude.
Dude, chill. It's a joke.

Also, when else has dunc done this?

Aug 17, 2015 at 4:27 AM
DualHack said:
Dude, chill. It's a joke.

Also, when else has dunc done this?
Go read the entirety of the Donald Trump Cake Escapade thread.

Aug 17, 2015 at 4:51 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
He didn't even post in that thread.
EDIT:
Aeternum said:
I've played all the mods I can think of to Cave story
I'm pretty sure that he knows what dunc meant by "no one is going to make your mod for you" if he has played a lot of mods.

Aug 17, 2015 at 5:38 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
SuperJaws100 said:
All of that being said, as per usual dunc has managed to make the community sound abrasive and rude.
and as usual you find everything you can to point out my various flaws
you haven't even the slightest clue what we've fucking put up with here, ok?
go read the old ideas and development subforum. read everything in there. 9 times out of 10, nothing in there ever happened. people would provide the sprites people asked for; the "modder" would disappear off the face of the earth. people would throw out great ideas and suggestions that went completely untouched.
we got fucking sick of it. we SHUT DOWN the subforum and instituted new rules against ideas threads. yet STILL, we get ideas threads asking for help. in fact, this thread itself is breaking the modding forum rules. no screenshots; no demo. in the past, I've contributed to modders who had already made promising demos, but still, my work goes fruitless. when I shit up threads like this, it's because I don't want other unsuspecting suckers like me getting jerked around by aspiring "modders" who don't even come close to delivering. so yeah, I was being a dick to the OP. but you know what, he broke the rules and he was acting entitled and asking far more from the community than he deserves. this shit makes me mad; that's why bobbyis and I shitposted up the thread. but you know, even our shitposts were mildly constructive. and so what that we didn't explain our shitposting? plenty of other people did. OP doesn't need 15 different explanations for what he's doing wrong. that's my rant about ideas threads.
He did say "collaboration" to start with. Several times in his post. He never said "I have a mod request". He verily implied that he wanted to be a major contributor to the project.
go watch noxid's tutorial, the one the sound clip is from, and hear the context of it. /this/ is what it's talking about. it's talking about "I can do story and scripting, but I need someone for all the music and all the sprites." it's talking about "I'm fine on my own, but I can't make music, so could someone make a bunch of music for me?" don't tell me that we're in the wrong for linking that most important of audio clips because he was just asking for a team; that's what it's about.

Aug 17, 2015 at 12:35 PM
Based Member
For what it's worth, SuperJaws, I agree with you that some of the replies by community members telling newcomers off like dunc and bobbyis did is both immature and counterproductive. Furthermore, I firmly believe that the amount of threads of this nature that they've put up with before is no excuse for their behavior. Nonetheless, this is a problem that's never going to go away. The best you can do is stand out from the crowd and be nice to the new user while pretending that the hostile posts don't exist. If you have to address the hostile posts, then do it subtly or humorously; confroning them directly in the thread almost never ends well. If you really think they went too far, then either report their post and state your case, or talk to them via VM or PM.

Aug 17, 2015 at 12:43 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jaws and Dunc: You clearly have issues with each other that exist beyond this thread so I would recommend one of you PM or VM the other and argue until you are both sick of it.

@Jaws: Dunc may not have made a good impression, but an entire page arguing about the constructiveness of two posts is going too far. Especially given that bobbyis was (in my opinion) the worst offender in this thread and you mostly overlooked him to lash out at Dunc. Not that I disagree with you but I think this is more an excuse to satisfy a grudge on your part than anything else.

@Dunc and bobbyis: Try to be more patient with the new users, we were all like that once.

Aug 17, 2015 at 1:31 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Well I guess that settles it. Onto looking at lots of tutorials for Booster's Lab!

Aug 17, 2015 at 5:54 PM
"Huzzah!"
Well I guess that settles it. Onto looking at lots of tutorials for Booster's Lab!
You'll find that the download for BL itself has a lot of reference and documents on modding cave story, so I suggest downloading it soon if you can.

Also, kudos for taking all of the guff.

Aug 17, 2015 at 6:59 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Meh its no biggy. Yea I saw the reference documents I'm learning!

Aug 17, 2015 at 7:07 PM
andwhyisit said:
Jaws and Dunc: You clearly have issues with each other that exist beyond this thread so I would recommend one of you PM or VM the other and argue until you are both sick of it.
@Jaws: Dunc may not have made a good impression, but an entire page arguing about the constructiveness of two posts is going too far. Especially given that bobbyis was (in my opinion) the worst offender in this thread and you mostly overlooked him to lash out at Dunc. Not that I disagree with you but I think this is more an excuse to satisfy a grudge on your part than anything else.
@Dunc and bobbyis: Try to be more patient with the new users, we were all like that once.
I have no issues with dunc, when he's not shitposting. I really hate opening a new thread from a new member and seeing that the first five posts are shitposts, typically from dunc or one of the other old users. New users are not going to go reading all of the threads ever made in this forum, so they will not understand why everyone is dumping shit all over them. If the modder has already been told or already had these rules explained to them, then shitposting is fine. But just shitposting someone because they're new and don't understand is not cool.

Aeternum said:
BL has a handy-dandy little tab titled "oh god what do i do". Click that.

Aug 17, 2015 at 8:48 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I saw it! Still trying to figure out how to make doors to other maps yadayadayada

Aug 17, 2015 at 9:07 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
SuperJaws100 said:
I have no issues with dunc, when he's not shitposting. I really hate opening a new thread from a new member and seeing that the first five posts are shitposts, typically from dunc or one of the other old users. New users are not going to go reading all of the threads ever made in this forum, so they will not understand why everyone is dumping shit all over them. If the modder has already been told or already had these rules explained to them, then shitposting is fine. But just shitposting someone because they're new and don't understand is not cool.
Actually, while your sentiment is just, you can't say that the person in question did not have the rules explained to them. Know why?
http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/731/
Read rules 1 and 3. This thread is a violation of both. Ignorance does not defend you from the rules. If the OP had read the rules of the modding forum like he should have, he wouldn't have even made the thread.

However, this does make me realize that the rules may not be extremely accessible. Hm...

Aug 17, 2015 at 9:26 PM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
duncathan said:
Actually, while your sentiment is just, you can't say that the person in question did not have the rules explained to them. Know why?
http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/731/
Read rules 1 and 3. This thread is a violation of both. Ignorance does not defend you from the rules. If the OP had read the rules of the modding forum like he should have, he wouldn't have even made the thread.

However, this does make me realize that the rules may not be extremely accessible. Hm...
It took me 7 infraction points to actually find that the thread existed. I had no idea.

Aug 17, 2015 at 10:59 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
And watch... the bashing continues. Really though, I'm sorry.I should have checked for rules first. Should I make a formal apology on the website? Beg for pixel to forgive me and hope and pray that my transgressions are forgiven?

Aug 21, 2015 at 11:58 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
p204924-0-2d1652e9b66e8d6dace9dc787361ee05.jpg

Seriously, though. Why are you trying to top perfection?