Team Fortress 2 Cave Story Pack

Oct 7, 2011 at 5:34 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Well, it's not a Cave Story mod, but it's a mod involving Cave Story!

I started making a Polar Star model, just for fun. Then I made another one, based on the Blade. Then I got the idea to make them into Team Fortress 2 weapon reskins, because hey, there aren't many good ones online (Painted blue weapons with stars on them? Boring).

Fast forward a few weeks, and now I have a three-man team, who have been a tremendous help, and many, many items made. And as fortune turns out, Just as we near completion of this fan pack, I find that Nicalis is releasing Cave Story to Steam, which adds the potential of these things actually being released into the game as promo items! (For those not familiar, Team Fortress tends to release weapons and hats as promotions for upcoming Steam titles).

The funny thing is my team itself: Though I played the hell out of Cave Story, the other two have never even heard of the game until they saw my Polar Star. So I wanted to get input on an actual community of Cave Story fans for ideas and stuff. And to show off, but that's another thing entirely :awesomeface:

And, appropriate for the first two things I started, the Polar Star and King's Blade are the first to be finished, and I'll show them off here:

And if you like what you see, the rest of the pack can be found here:
http://forums.tf2mods.net/showthread.php?tid=193

Any comments, input, etc., is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: It appears my youtube videos don't wanna work, so I'll upload some screenshots instead:

diph.php

p138278-1-kingsfinal.png

diph.php

p138278-3-crown.png

diph.php

These last two, the Spur and Super Missile respectively, were made by the other two members of my modelling team, Jalcober and Tal.

p138278-5-modelconcept.png

diph.php

Oct 7, 2011 at 6:12 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Oh wow, this is awes.
If I still played TF2 I'd be all over this.
Keep up the good work sirs :3

Oct 7, 2011 at 6:33 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
cultr1 said:
Oh wow, this is awes.
If I still played TF2 I'd be all over this.
Keep up the good work sirs :3

Danke schön :awesomeface:

Why not keep playing Team Fortress 2? I still enjoy it very much

Oct 7, 2011 at 7:05 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
The scout already has a sword of similar size to the blade, it makes sense. It's called like Three-Rune something rather, it has the same effect as the Boston Basher iirc. And the Demoman has enough goddamn swords already.
I stopped playing because I played it for 2 hours every day for a year and got tired of it.
I'm sure some spark will cause an end to my hiatus.

About the skins though, I'm sad you remodelled the atomizer, I really don't like the weapon very much D:
On the other hand, <3 The Winger

Oct 7, 2011 at 7:45 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Very cool models. It's nice that you're working with others on this project.
I'm not sure how well your interaction with Nicalis will go, but okay.

Oct 7, 2011 at 8:01 AM
Carrotlord said:
Very cool models. It's nice that you're working with others on this project.
I'm not sure how well your interaction with Nicalis will go, but okay.

My idea is this: One of the weapons from Team Fortress, The Vita Saw, is a direct rip off of a weapon from Bioshock. However, Valve liked it, and asked the devs of Bioshock permission to use it, which they granted.

My point is this: If Nicalis doesn't respond to me (likely, since I'm a nobody), I'll contribute it to Valve, and if they like it, they'll ask Nicalis for me. And I assume Valve has a much, MUCH louder voice than I

cultr1 said:
The scout already has a sword of similar size to the blade, it makes sense. It's called like Three-Rune something rather, it has the same effect as the Boston Basher iirc.

About the skins though, I'm sad you remodelled the atomizer, I really don't like the weapon very much D:
On the other hand, <3 The Winger

Funny thing about that, I actually originally started the King's Blade because I really disliked the design of the Three-Rune! XD Don't worry, there will also be a reskin for the Boston Basher

Captain Fabulous said:
Fixed those embedded videos for you.

These items look extremely awesome. I do wonder why you opted to give the Scout a sword, though. Seems like something the Demoman should have.

PLEASE PM me the embed codes for the youtube videos, I can't copy them T-T

And actually, the reason is this: Of all the classes in Team Fortress 2, I just thought the Scout resembled Quote the most. Ergo, most items in the pack are designed to make a Quote-Scout! Although, Quote was described as a "Scout-Soldier", so surprise-surprise, there are also Soldier items being made, too.

Oct 7, 2011 at 8:13 AM
Not anymore
ZombiePlasticClock said:
I'll contribute it to Valve, and if they like it, they'll ask Nicalis for me. And I assume Valve has a much, MUCH louder voice than I

If Nicalis was a small beetle, Valve would be a T-rex. Mutated to be extra large.

Anyway Valve might be more responsive than Nicalis. And I'm actually serious about that.

ZombiePlasticClock said:
the embed codes for the youtube videos

To use a youtube embed, only put the ID of the video inside the [ YOUTUBE ] tags. Do not put the full URL. Or you could look here.

Oct 7, 2011 at 8:21 AM
Been here way too long...
To embed videos, you only put the v976y4ib5u part of the URL in the YOUTUBE tags.

I'd to see the rest of the Cave Story weapons implemented. Demoman with the Fireball, Soldier with the Missile Launcher, Sniper with the Machine Gun and Spur (possibly?), and good luck with the Bubbler.

Oct 7, 2011 at 8:42 AM
Carrotlord said:
If Nicalis was a small beetle, Valve would be a T-rex. Mutated to be extra large.

Anyway Valve might be more responsive than Nicalis. And I'm actually serious about that.

This makes me so happy to hear. I seriously need to get this pack finished up, then!

Captain Fabulous said:
I'd to see the rest of the Cave Story weapons implemented. Demoman with the Fireball, Soldier with the Missile Launcher, Sniper with the Machine Gun and Spur (possibly?), and good luck with the Bubbler.

If you haven't noticed with the whole "Cave Story Steam is coming soon" thing, I don't have very much time to get stuff done XD

Don't get me wrong! I had so much planned. I really wanted to give the Sniper the MachineGun, make the Fireball and Curly's Panties for the Pyro... Time is a cruel thing. What wasn't almost finished already was just scrapped entirely.

Although! You missed the Super Missile and the Spur in my first post! Both are going to be for the Soldier (IE: The Spur will be for the Righteous Bison. And it will be RIGHTEOUS)

Also I'm seriously happy you guys like this stuff. No offence, I half-expected to be flayed alive for mistakes and stuff I made, but so far you guys have been awesome. So as thanks, have this little thing I whipped up:

diph.php

"Grass Grows, Birds Fly, Sun shines, and Brudda? I shoot robots"

EDIT: I'm surprised nobody's mentioned The Demon's Crown yet. No joke, I was facepalming hard when I made a correlation between The Doctor, and the Medic. A natural choice XD

Oct 7, 2011 at 4:45 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
As far as time goes, to my knowledge Steam CS hasn't yet entered beta.

Oct 7, 2011 at 8:18 PM
Member Title
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Wow, this looks great!
I'm still playing TF2 almost every day, some time I'll check this pack out.

Oct 7, 2011 at 9:06 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Holy shit. The only game I play on steam, plus my favorite game ever. Great work, dude.

:awesomeface:

Oct 7, 2011 at 9:47 PM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I am really enjoying what I am seeing. If I was a TF2 player, I would instantly download this if this was available.
Also, I am enjoying the demon crown for the medic. It looks great on him. I find it rather ironic that an evil crown is atop a person who heals for a living, but that doesn't really matter. Awesome work!

Oct 7, 2011 at 9:49 PM
seren said:
As far as time goes, to my knowledge Steam CS hasn't yet entered beta.

A reassuring thought, but I still need to finish this project as quickly as possible

Tpcool said:
Holy shit. The only game I play on steam, plus my favorite game ever. Great work, dude.

:muscledoc:
Cave Story said:
Wow, this looks great!
I'm still playing TF2 almost every day, some time I'll check this pack out.

Thank you very much. I'll be sure to put up download links when the pack is finished.

Got another update for you guys: Jalcober is almost done with the Super Missile he's making for my pack. I, for one, am drooling for it, and can't wait to use it myself!

diph.php

EDIT: Just noticed this

ShinyElectricBlueTiger said:
I am really enjoying what I am seeing. If I was a TF2 player, I would instantly download this if this was available.
Also, I am enjoying the demon crown for the medic. It looks great on him. I find it rather ironic that an evil crown is atop a person who heals for a living, but that doesn't really matter. Awesome work!

Once again, Download links will be avaliable ASAP XD
Mind you, the Medic and the Doctor probably have a lot in common. The Medic enjoys ze hurting as much as ze healing

Oct 7, 2011 at 10:06 PM
Been here way too long...
ShinyElectricBlueTiger said:
If I was a TF2 player, I would instantly download this if this was available.

Then why aren't you >:[

Oct 7, 2011 at 10:11 PM
Captain Fabulous said:
Then why aren't you >:[

Simple: It's not avaliable yet

diph.php

Oct 8, 2011 at 4:52 AM
A old relic from older days
"..."
...wait a second....

ZombiePlasticClock said:

Hollup a sec, unless I'm mistaken, that's the Quotescout texture I made like two years ago! Seeing it again is like reuniting with an old friend! :muscledoc:

I made a BLU version at some point (and toned the green down on the headpiece a little), but I never uploaded it and it got lost with one of my old laptops.

Oct 8, 2011 at 6:21 AM
Cripplechair said:
Hollup a sec, unless I'm mistaken, that's the Quotescout texture I made like two years ago! Seeing it again is like reuniting with an old friend! :muscledoc:

I made a BLU version at some point (and toned the green down on the headpiece a little), but I never uploaded it and it got lost with one of my old laptops.

It is, actually! And I enjoy using it, thank you.

Oct 8, 2011 at 8:01 AM
A old relic from older days
"..."
That's what I like to hear! I had planned to do a project like this before a long time ago, but I didn't (and still don't) know how to make models, and probably never will. If you like, I'd be happy to pass on that texture to you. Feel free to use it in any way you see fit, edits included.

Hope it helps!