Tale of Dale - version 0.4 "Bloody Update" [updated 28/04/14]

Apr 29, 2014 at 2:37 PM
hi hi
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I always had problems with Mediafire files... Sometimes one of my mods on Mediafire also caught a virus from nowhere...

Could you tell me if it happens with the Dropbox download too, or is it too risky for you?

Apr 29, 2014 at 10:47 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
It happens with the Dropbox download too, and it's the same virus.
Here's the virus's wikipage, and it seems pretty serious too and it is pretty fucking serious.

Apr 30, 2014 at 5:55 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
From Wikipedia: "Sality commonly searches for and attempts to delete files related to antivirus updates and terminate security applications, such as antivirus and personal firewall programs; attempts to terminate security applications containing the same strings as the files it avoids infecting; and may also terminate security-related services and block access to security-related websites that contain certain substrings."

Basically what it's saying here is the virus will prevent your antivirus from updating, rendering it unable to defend you from the graver dangers the virus presents. It looks like you've had this virus for a while; that's why Kayya's antivirus caught it and yours didn't, as hers was actually up-to-date. I'd suggest you have an expert take a look at your computer.

Apr 30, 2014 at 2:41 PM
hi hi
In fact...
I didn't scan it on my computer. I used the one from library, which always has up-to-date antivirus...

Like I say, I will redo it. Maybe I did something wrong...
Indeed, AVG says it has something... Yet Microsoft Forefront Endpoint Protection tells me it's clean.
It seems that it doesn't react to some viruses...

AVG tends to delete the file, though. I don't want to lose my executable, so I don't know what to do...
I'll get a copy of my hacks, if possible, and try to insert them into a clean one...
Or can anyone tell me some way to clean the file?

May 31, 2014 at 10:33 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
I'm not 100% certain there is a virus :
http://virusscan.jotti.org/en/scanresult/91b61d2a2b721d612379bc4ccc174cff46fd271d

I ran it through the jotti multiscan, and it came back 7 out of 21 positive. So, it's suspicious to me but not a confirmation of the virus. My guess is your hacks to the game have some of the same patterns that the Sality virus shows.

(As long as it is detecting the EXE, and not something that attached to the zip at some point... I didn't check...)

So, I'd submit the the possibly infected EXE to the AVG false positive link somewhere (following their guidelines), and wait for them to process it.

In worst case scenario, I'd suspect a public place like a library to be more prone to getting viruses due to the various users. If it really is Sality, then... I dunno. I've gotta take exams.... better go :p
UPDATE :

Good news! This game is safe to play now :p It was a false positive from the looks of things...

I submitted the game to the AVG false positive database, and just checked today, apparently it no longer detects as a virus.

I started it up, and no detections. FINALLY I CAN PLAY IT!

Jun 20, 2014 at 10:42 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I have to say, these new blood effects are really neat. They're really great touches that help this mod stand out (although I can't deny the 20HP or lower effect gets distracting at times). So, this boss was in the previous demo I think (where the last version ended), but did his health recharge before? That's my main gripe with this battle. Maybe lower the rate at which he uses that move or lower how much he gets healed? The idea is fine, but he already takes too many hits to begin with. The new character, Edwin, has some pretty neat weapons. The clone weapon seems to do minimal damage, so I usually always stick with the arrow. It looks like there is an ammo count I think? It never goes down, though. This next area's music is actually pretty decent. It's upbeat and has nice instruments. It starts to sound a little off after the beginning, though. The bomb droppers are a neat gimmick. I especially like how they can kill the other enemies. The lasers aren't bad. Nothing too stand-out about them, but they work. First area is good, it teaches the gimmicks fairly harmlessly and quickly. Second area, I feel that at some points the enemies are unmanageable, but the design of the level is more creative and varied than previous levels. It looked like there were small alternate paths for powerups, that's neat. I didn't have a high enough jump to reach it, but maybe I needed to ride one of the bomb droppers I freed. Third area... cool that the laser gimmick is being utilized, but waiting for some of the longer-timed lasers can get a little tedious. Also, the destructible blocks blend in with the background. I only noticed when I couldn't move left for some reason. And wowie the timing on that last section can be BRUTAL considering how much damage you take. I have no idea how you're supposed to reach those powerups (money?) in time. Next, the boss. It's pretty annoying that these turrets will always hit you, I mean there's hardly and room to hide andWOW THIS BOSS IS TEDIOUS. Like OK the bomb dropper makes it take not nearly as much time but wow I don't want to imagine how long it would take through just using normal weapons. The music sounds kinda off, but has cool precussion and a fine, dark starting melody. With the next area, I picked Lyron instead of Edwin but I still have one of Edwin's weapons (the clone thing). The physics are slippery, so I don't how how I feel about the one-tile jumps. The area after that... oh, that laser behind the chain is evil, lol. Aaaand that's it for the demo it looks like.

Overall... any complaints I or anybody else has given to you before still hold some weight, please take them into serious consideration. The music, how do I put this... has evolved from bad to hit-or-miss? The levels have improved due to how much shorter they are (at least, compared to what I remember of the previous levels) and they seem to have more coherent design. The bosses... yeah they still have too much health. The graphics for the factory seemed at the very least a little prettier than those preceding them. Weapons are still awesome as usual (but a buff in damage or rate of fire would be nice maybe?).

Well, it was an interesting run. As always, don't take any of this the wrong way, just trying to help you improve!

I thought I should remix one of these songs, so here's a remix of the character select theme! It sounds way more upbeat than the original, but hopefully it's still good.

Dec 22, 2014 at 3:28 AM
"Huzzah!"
I got a virus after downloading this but I only noticed it the day after so...
-shrug- But however I got it, it's pretty much stuck. I'm running an avast scan and it's only detected parts of it. I keep getting a message popping up about powershell error. -.-

Dec 22, 2014 at 5:51 AM
hi hi
Not my fault, I don't have any viruses in this.
If it's avast, it's most likely lying because avast hates Cave Story mods and this is a heavy mod.
Have a virus scan.
diph.php

Get an antivirus instead of avast, then we can talk.

Dec 22, 2014 at 5:58 AM
Professional Whatever
HHS annihilated my computer. Be careful.

Dec 24, 2014 at 9:40 AM
"Huzzah!"
Okay. I get it. but it wasn't just a false positive. I guess I had a virus from something else... I'm sorry I blamed your mod.

Jun 2, 2017 at 8:39 PM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
The dropbox download is dead but mediafire download is still live, for 0.4.

I know it is no longer being maintained since he left the modding scene and were left with a 'box of stuff'.

But I just want to inform you that the program ToD.exe (from 0.4) is being quarantined by McAfee as a Trojan once you try to run it to play. The threat name is JTI/Suspect!131076. I submitted to McAfee labs by email and their findings is inconclusive.

If you have the latest McAfee VirusScan and still have Tale of Dale 0.4 'Bloody Update' lying around, try to look for ToD.exe and double-click it to play the game. If you don't see it--or you double-click it and you see a Critical Stop error message saying insufficient resources, McAfee had just Quarantined it. Please restore it and disable Real-Time protection.

Jun 2, 2017 at 9:32 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
didn't a lot of their mods come with sality or something?

Jun 3, 2017 at 5:27 AM
hi hi
yeh, sadly that was the case. but i cleaned that up later so the problems should be gone as well. not really my fault since i didn't even have internet connection or any way to get a proper antivirus. a-ny-way...

i don't really remember bloody update's release time, so i can't say for sure, but i do believe it was after i had a cleanup. i lost the battle only with 'the brown lines', where i couldn't restore it to previous state and also glitches ate me because i was inexperienced with asm.

right, i went off topic. but still.
in case of this mod, it should be a false positive.