Tale of Dale - version 0.4 "Bloody Update" [updated 28/04/14]

Dec 3, 2013 at 12:54 PM
hi hi
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Tale of Dale
current version: 0.4

Duncan Amarillo, a poison mage and Alita Evertide, a dark priestess formed an adventure team. Their first target was an old golden temple in the desert. However, it's full of traps and enemies. Will they succeed in their first mission? What waits for them later?

Current characters:
Alita (playable)
Duncan (playable)
Lyron (playable)
Edwin (playable)

Download links:
version 0.1 (Dropbox)
version 0.1 (Mediafire)

version 0.2 (Dropbox)
version 0.2 (Mediafire)

version 0.3 (Dropbox)

version 0.4 (Dropbox)
version 0.4 (Mediafire)

Screenshots:
WARNING: These are from 0.1, and are outdated. To be fixed.
p176483-0-vw7qvrq.png

p176483-1-ky5wflk.png

p176483-2-fd9vk2t.png

p176483-3-6hlszri.png

p176483-4-7gm6abu.png

p176483-5-mkzbiij.png

Dec 3, 2013 at 8:12 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Ow ow I would use something that's not primary yellow for the foreground because that's pretty jarring
The faces look interesting, though.

Dec 3, 2013 at 8:35 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I'm not saying don't use yellow, just saturate it a bit so it isn't so hard on the eyes. Also if it's supposed to be golden then you might want to shift the hue a bit so it has more red (so it actually looks golden/orange)

Dec 7, 2013 at 1:52 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
A few things to point out:

Negatives: None of the save points actually work. When you click retry or load you just go back too that one screen where you can choose your character. (If this is supposed too happen, can you say so?) Also, there are a bunch of quit buttons on the top and it's really distracting.

Positives: The new weapons are extremely interesting and it was fun finding out how they work! That bat boss was very interesting, especially with those new weapons.

Overall, the save point problem was a little annoying, but it was a very enjoyable experience, and I wish you luck on completing it!

Dec 7, 2013 at 2:48 PM
hi hi
Wait, wait. They don't work? How did that happen?
Hmm, I have no idea. They worked for me. But if you press Load, does it work?

And I cannot delete those Quit buttons. Resource Hacker doesn't work for me.

Thanks for playing!

Dec 7, 2013 at 11:11 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Oh, I figured out what was wrong. It was my computer, not the game. Anyways, I got too the final boss and it was really interesting! I can't wait too see what comes next!

Dec 8, 2013 at 5:05 AM
"Huzzah!"
The story is pretty good. I might try this later. Oh and what magic doors said. (too lazy to quote right now)

Dec 10, 2013 at 5:31 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Finally played the demo!

First off, the new title screen rocks xD Reminds me of a classic adventure title screen... Nice. There was a little pink pixel on the screen though. To the right...

Well, I played starting with Duncan... I think you might have adjusted the weapons, and I noticed the new signs, and a few moved enemies... The first area was very enjoyable, and that boss is still pretty tough!

The new second area was pretty good, though I thought it was easier than the first, despite dying several times on the lava, when learning how I was supposed to skip on top of the egg things. I was a little disappointed the right side didn't have something besides health though! This second area was a bit too short imo. I want moreee.

You know what... because you have such a short amount of content, but have all these cool new enemy movements etc. I was thinking you might make a Hard edition for those people who like to punish themselves for fun. (Always choose Hard! ;D)
Like, make all the moving traps instant kill. Make the grim reapers instant kill. Bugs probably need to do around the same damage since like on the boss, they are almost impossible to dodge at first! And you could make the first boss himself do more damage, so you don't stand on his eye to attack him with Duncan~

And in the second area, the lava should be instant kill, that cancels invincibility frames. (Like if you have the game run a quick event whenever you fall in the lava using maybe a horizontal trigger? That way you can't just take a little bug damage and ignore the lava...)

And btw hard mode or not, the guys that run back and forth really fast are the easiest enemies. If you replaced their AI with Lyron's however.. they would be a force to be feared! (Though that would eliminate some of the charm of the boss... Not sure how you could spice him up if you changed their AI... His battle already is pretty good, though a little repetitive.)

Besides hard mode...

As for characters :

Duncan is overall a lot easier I think to play. That poison burst attack specifically can do about 50 damage per hit if you get in the enemy's face! I like it a lot. xD
But, Alita was a lot of fun to play too. She had a less wreckless approach. I barely survived the second boss battle with her. Had to really make the shots count to squeeze out victory.

Lastly the dialogue fits the style of the game... Though I might suggest some changes, like how Lyron just randomly says "let me join you", and Duncan is immediately "okay...".

Good demo though! If you are hesitating to try this demo, I recommend it. It's quick, fun and to the point.

EDIT : 1337 POST GET!

Dec 10, 2013 at 9:51 AM
hi hi
OK, then.

*I know about the pixel, Shane already told me. Will fix.

*Duncan's attack speed was slightly increased. In the next version, Alita's Scamball is also sped up.

*You want more? Oh, I'll give you MORE, MORE. If I don't forget.

*Hard mode sounds interesting. I might try that out in the future.

*Temple Minions are only dangerous when they run down a slope in a narrow corridor. When they get hit, they can jump on your head, then. Overall, they are just for HP drops and they don't possess any threat.

*Lyron can be a bit unexpected, so I'll leave him as it is now.

*Duncan is generally meant to be stronger, while Alita is going to have some neat skill in future (maybe I'll give her the Invisiblity bonus? Timed invinciblity, activated by pressing W; rechargeable).

*I couldn't think about the last dialogue, so I just put a placeholder here, haha.

(Overall: 2/10 could be better)

Thanks for playing, and for the feedback!

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:04 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Okay, finally got around to trying out this. It wasn't until I reached the first save point that I realized I had an attack I could use against enemies so I ended up at that first save point with about 2 HP left. XD

Aside from that, it's a little hard on the eyes, but I see you've already been told this already, though that was probably my biggest concern.

The audio sounds pretty fitting. I often find high notes like that too distracting from the game, but they weren't jarring at all, so it was okay. I also like the new death sound effect; it sounds a lot less...sudden from Cave Story's.

That first boss I find too challenging, but I'm not complaining or anything. I just happen to suck at games.

Yeah good job; I was going to play this earlier, but had finals to deal with.

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:06 AM
"Huzzah!"
I just started playing... It feels like an nes game. I like that though because it feels like it's not cave story at all. The first boss is very hard.(Not that you should change it though.) The music fits in perfectly, Did you make it yourself? You have done some pretty impressive work on this. Good job! *thumbs up* I look foward to you finishing this mod. 10/10 :heart:

Dec 21, 2013 at 3:20 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
sorry bout that I was trying to edit my post but I accidentli made a new one