Take 8: CS+ Community Project Discussion Thread

Oct 25, 2011 at 2:56 AM
LSD
"..."
Cave story site said:
Can we start calling maps?

Just wait until DT makes the Dev thread tomorrow.

EDiT
Seriously. Your Spoiler in your Sig is fricken stupid. Take it off for it is a waste of fricken time.

Oct 25, 2011 at 3:06 AM
Banned
"Fresh from the Bakery"
You don't have to click the "show" button

Oct 25, 2011 at 3:12 AM
inside is yello
"..."
You realize your signature doesn't even show up like it should.

Here's how it should be done.
Cave Story site said:
Originally Posted by Cave story site
Can we start calling maps?
Pigaro said:
Just wait until DT makes the Dev thread tomorrow.

Seriously. Your Spoiler in your Sig is fricken stupid. Take it off for it is a waste of fricken time.
BTW, Noxid killed a puppy because of you.

Oct 25, 2011 at 3:28 AM
Banned
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I typed my sig on my ipod and it cannot scrool downward and the screen is failing(is that a good excuse for a bad sig?)

Oct 25, 2011 at 4:40 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Okay, DT, just tell me what you want and I'll make it.
I'm flexible, since all this takes is map design knowledge and TSC knowledge, both of which I have.

Oct 25, 2011 at 11:54 AM
The Preacher
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Oh, I would LOVE to participate in that project.

Since I'm the kind of modder who tends to exploit glitches, or to not use NPCs the way they should be used, my works are mainly hardcore mods.
If you don't allow any hardcore thing in this project, then I will try to make something simpler.

BUT. What if we created a labyrinth? I mean, this giga-mod doesn't have to be linear. We can create different paths: easy / advanced / hardcore...
This way players could play the mod several times without it being redundant. And that would allow us to make hardcore maps.

I don't know if this idea haven't been already submitted, but whatever. I'm sorry if that's the case.

Oct 25, 2011 at 12:46 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I was going to suggest everyone aim for a difficulty around hard-but-not-really-hard, on the basis that that would be the right level to hold the interest of people who have completed the original, but not be so hard that they get turned off. I'm not really sure there will be enough participation to warrant separate paths, or that trying to juggle them all in the same mod at once wouldn't become cumbersome. It also depends a bit on what you mean by "hardcore" - personally I don't find things like pixel-perfect boosts very interesting.

As for glitches, we probably shouldn't be expecting Steam players to know the game inside out, or be showing off what are technically weaknesses in the game's physics engine (if that's the way they're presented - I'm okay with doing stuff that looks cool and plan to do something like that myself). However, Lace came with the idea of having optional areas within areas, which can be accessed if so desired but aren't mandatory to complete the playthrough. If you feel like sparing a couple of your maps for the hardcore stuff or even making your whole section optional we may be able to dodge the issue.

Speaking of which, I don't remember you ever actually posting any of your work, so if you could give me an example of the type of thing you want to make it should help things run along more smoothly :p

Oct 25, 2011 at 2:52 PM
The Preacher
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
It's true that I didn't post any of my work on the CS forums. I planned to release the first demo of my mod here when the debug is finished, but if you really want to see what I did, then there it is: http://www.rpg-maker-detente.com/t534-cave-story-red-lies-v011.
Beware though, it's french and quite glitched. Also you might have to register on the forum to see the topic.

But!! I don't plan to do the same on my maps as in my mod. Because, you know, it's just a beginning. I didn't put any glitch-exploiting in Red Lies. Also, every "pixel-perfect jump" is only optional and you can finish the mod without having to do them.
Also, the map called "Le Broyeur" is REALLY, REALLY TOO FRIGGIN HARD. Don't bother trying if you don't want to lose time. You'd rather edit the game so you can try the boss, whose map is "Salle inondée", just after "Le Broyeur".

As for glitches², I plan to make sure every player can discover them easily while playing, so they can use them to achieve further maps. It's the basis of Level-design: introducing the player to a new technique before making him use it.

I think I'll do one/two "hard-but-not-really-hard" maps, then make one/two more as optional-hardcore maps hidden in the first one/two. That means I'll probably only use two or three maps.

Edit: since the link I gave you is in french, you'll probably not find the DL link easily. That's why the DL link is here: http://www.mediafire.com/?64yspzo6rk8id5g
The first one is only for presentation.

Oct 25, 2011 at 9:16 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I guess it's about time I contributed to something that will benefit more people than just me...

Oct 25, 2011 at 10:20 PM
LSD
"..."
Do we PM him our Sub. Forms or post 'em on the other thread?

(I PMed him either way)

Oct 25, 2011 at 10:21 PM
squidward
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Are we going to have a mario-style level progression? Like worlds with levels? Or just levels?

Oct 25, 2011 at 10:25 PM
LSD
"..."
Safusaka said:
Are we going to have a mario-style level progression? Like worlds with levels? Or just levels?

As far as I read, we all just make some levels and Andwhy will put them together. They could be, I guess.

Oct 25, 2011 at 10:28 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I'm just gonna wait until DT posts his intro level. By then I'll be able to figure out how exactly I should format it. I want to start working soooon.

Oct 25, 2011 at 10:30 PM
LSD
"..."
Tpcool said:
I'm just gonna wait until DT posts his intro level. By then I'll be able to figure out how exactly I should format it. I want to start working soooon.

Graaaah
So do I.
I want to amount to something in the Modding world ._.

Oct 25, 2011 at 10:57 PM
Member Title
"All your forum are belong to us!"
The only original idea that I have thought of so far is some sort of Booster 0.8 chasm-climbing level.

But first I suppose I should really get tinkering with TSC and such.

Oct 25, 2011 at 11:54 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I kinda wanna contribute, but I doubt I can. I can design simple starting areas, but I can't do anything Cave Story hard. I can't script either... If I can get someone to help, that would be cool. But if I can't/not allowed, I'll just test.

Oct 26, 2011 at 2:03 AM
LSD
"..."
Prinny said:
I kinda wanna contribute, but I doubt I can. I can design simple starting areas, but I can't do anything Cave Story hard. I can't script either... If I can get someone to help, that would be cool. But if I can't/not allowed, I'll just test.

You can do whatever. You will be allowed. We, Most, Some of us don't judge like that.

Oct 26, 2011 at 2:05 AM
inside is yello
"..."
More like "A few, one of us doesn't judge like that."