Super Luigi's World!

Oct 12, 2009 at 10:55 PM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
Ah, thanks, I had to expand an mario 64 ROM for a hack once, took the entire day to do so.

No need for the FAQ, at least, for me. I own some of the more popular games, so I usually have tons of hacks to play. Luckily, I have SMW, too. Maybe I'll get to it soon. Gotta finish a project first, though.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Oct 13, 2009 at 1:52 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
There's still hope for the level design somewhere

Oct 13, 2009 at 2:32 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Yeah >.>;

Yeah, I'm not too proud of the level design of the first few levels. But it gets a lot better as the game progresses. {And this is only the first demo}
You can actually see me learning and improving the game as it goes along :rolleyes:;

EDIT:
Oh right, there were a few sprites I had to make myself.
Most notably would be Curly, Balrog, and Dimentio.
Curly and Balrog come out a bit funny because of how SMW displays it's pixels {You can see Curly grow fat and thin as she walks}, and Dimentio's just more proof of how mediocre with sprite art I am. But I think he came out pretty good, being drawn by hand. {SMW spriting is a pain. Especially compared to Cave Story}

Oct 14, 2009 at 1:29 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
So did you get the admins' permission yet?

Oct 15, 2009 at 12:27 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
*Shrug*

Nope.
Spreading the Patch is fine, since it contains only the modified material, but anything that has the original content is illegal and thus frowned upon.
Though, it's really not that much of an inconvenience. I could bundle everything but the ROM up in some .rar with a .txt file of instructions if anyone's having troubles getting it to work.
Though, for the original ROM, I suggest looking here....
{Admins, look at the link before jumping to conclusions :D;}

Oct 16, 2009 at 2:48 AM
Re: Yeah >.>;

VoidMage_Lowell said:

You can actually see me learning and improving the game as it goes along :rolleyes:;
Man, this is why I play video games. It just makes me happy when I get to spend 50 hours being frustrated at the first level, in all its note-blocks-suspended-randomly-over-a-pit, secret-pipes-that-take-you-back-to-the-start, spin-jump-crush-able-blocks-scattered-everywhere, dying-to-some-kind-of-invisible-enemy-I-didn't-see, and seemingly-random-enemy-placement glory.

Oct 22, 2009 at 2:04 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Tch, this has been annoying me

Orangedawg said:
Man, this is why I play video games. It just makes me happy when I get to spend 50 hours being frustrated at the first level, in all its note-blocks-suspended-randomly-over-a-pit, secret-pipes-that-take-you-back-to-the-start, spin-jump-crush-able-blocks-scattered-everywhere, dying-to-some-kind-of-invisible-enemy-I-didn't-see, and seemingly-random-enemy-placement glory.
You, ser, probably haven't played very many SMW hacks.
1) The note blocks require patience and timing, you can't just charge at them over and over and expect to eventually get through. I've been tricked up a few times myself :rolleyes:
But they're pretty easy once you get the hang of it.
2) That's actually something you need to come back later for. It doesn't take you backwards, just a little bit forwards.
3) That's a little bit of an exaggeration, there's only some at the beginning, and a bit near the end, but those aren't even breakable. I don't even see how they could be much of a problem, they kinda help by letting you spin-jump off them and over enemies.
4) Now I need a pic for that, as I've never had that happen. I'd like to fix something like that right away.
5) Random placement? Should they be organized by type, alphabetically? :rolleyes:

If you think it's too hard at the first level, I don't think you'll even make it to the first secret fortress.
If you wait a bit, Khan might be doing a LP to show how easy this is.

Oct 22, 2009 at 10:11 PM
VoidMage_Lowell said:
You, ser, probably haven't played very many SMW hacks.
I don't know where this came from, but romhacks I like generally don't have the problems listed.
VoidMage_Lowell said:
1) The note blocks require patience and timing, you can't just charge at them over and over and expect to eventually get through. I've been tricked up a few times myself :D
But they're pretty easy once you get the hang of it.
Patience and waiting for things in video games is very boring.
VoidMage_Lowell said:
2) That's actually something you need to come back later for. It doesn't take you backwards, just a little bit forwards.
I don't want to waste time in an area only to find out I can't finish it yet.
VoidMage_Lowell said:
3) That's a little bit of an exaggeration, there's only some at the beginning, and a bit near the end, but those aren't even breakable. I don't even see how they could be much of a problem, they kinda help by letting you spin-jump off them and over enemies.
I can spin jump off of regular terrain too. Hell, I can perform a normal jump on regular terrain. I pointed this out because it isn't very visually pleasing.
VoidMage_Lowell said:
4) Now I need a pic for that, as I've never had that happen. I'd like to fix something like that right away.
Invisible enemy:

p73665-0-261y9zb.png
VoidMage_Lowell said:
5) Random placement? Should they be organized by type, alphabetically? :rolleyes:
Sorry, I should have elaborated. There are occasionally groups of enemies that don't function well together, and large stretches of land with no enemies.
VoidMage_Lowell said:
If you think it's too hard at the first level, I don't think you'll even make it to the first secret fortress.
If you wait a bit, Khan might be doing a LP to show how easy this is.
I don't think your game is hard. I think your game isn't fun.
I'm part of your audience anyway so I think you should be happy you're receiving a critique.

Oct 23, 2009 at 12:13 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
*Sigh*

Orangedawg said:
I don't know where this came from, but romhacks I like generally don't have the problems listed.
Then again, you've only played the first level, and use it to judge the entire hack....
Orangedawg said:
Patience and waiting for things in video games is very boring.
Patience isn't the same as waiting. {Though, I suppose I should've added in 'timing' with that}
With the note blocks, you must time your jumps, you've got to learn the timing as to land on one without bouncing into the other.
I don't know why you'd be waiting.
Orangedawg said:
I don't want to waste time in an area only to find out I can't finish it yet.
I kinda hate completely linear games, so there will be tons of branching in SLW, along with areas you'll have to revisit and such to get everything fully completed.
If you don't like this idea, you might want to stop playing, because it's not the only instance of backtracking.
{Though, as of now, you can reach the Non-secret end without going backwards at anytime}
Orangedawg said:
I can spin jump off of regular terrain too. Hell, I can perform a normal jump on regular terrain. I pointed this out because it isn't very visually pleasing.
I meant Spin-Jump bouncing off the blocks {Where you actually break them}, keeping you a head above all the enemies.
I don't find them too ugly, or I would've removed them myself.
Though, this is all more of an opinion than anything.
Orangedawg said:
Invisible enemy:
Huh, never had that problem before...
I'm 99% sure that was a Bullet Bill.
Not sure what caused it, though....
Orangedawg said:
Sorry, I should have elaborated. There are occasionally groups of enemies that don't function well together, and large stretches of land with no enemies.
I had trouble with this at first because the editor displays the game at a roughly 1:50 ratio, which makes it pretty hard for me to imagine how it'll look and such ingame. {There's no zoom, either}
As for enemies that don't function well together, I'm not sure that's possible. Unless you mean Koopas with Chargin' Chucks, which would make them easy kills.
But it's the first level, so I'd imagine that'd be sorta welcomed
Orangedawg said:
I don't think your game is hard. I think your game isn't fun.
I'm part of your audience anyway so I think you should be happy you're receiving a critique.
Of course I'm a little happy, but you're judging the entire game on the first level, which I'm probably replacing later on, and your opinions are just that, opinions.
If you don't like it, that's you. I find it enjoyable, myself.

Oct 25, 2009 at 6:05 PM
graters gonna grate
Wow, either this is insanely hard, or I just suck horribly. At first I was inclined to think the latter, seeing as how I've never actually played Super Mario World, or any mods/hacks thereof, before (unless you count the version for the TI-83 Plus graphing calculator), but since Orangedawg also seems to be having a tough time getting past the first level, I might be more inclined to think the former...

Oct 25, 2009 at 6:08 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
...Eh?

What's so insanely hard about it?
I've beaten all the levels a dozen times, myself.
Are the Note blocks really that difficult to get by?

Oct 25, 2009 at 6:17 PM
graters gonna grate
Well I haven't even gotten to the note blocks yet, so idk how hard they are. So far, I've only managed to make it to the start of the lava, at which point I'm never able to make the first jump.

On a side note, you might wanna make the wait time at the very beginning when it shows Luigi in the Cave Story-esque setting a bit less, cause it's kinda annoying having to wait that long.

Oct 25, 2009 at 6:51 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Where's that LP...

wedge of cheese said:
Well I haven't even gotten to the note blocks yet, so idk how hard they are. So far, I've only managed to make it to the start of the lava, at which point I'm never able to make the first jump.
Crouch-jumping is essential, because Luigi jumps higher than Mario, which will probably throw you off for a bit until you get use to him.
Spin jump also helps if you're unsure if the Fireball's gonna shoot up or not, because you'll bounce off of it instead of dying.
wedge of cheese said:
On a side note, you might wanna make the wait time at the very beginning when it shows Luigi in the Cave Story-esque setting a bit less, cause it's kinda annoying having to wait that long.
That, I'm not sure how to fix, unless I go looking through the ROM offset library again.
That's how long the original game's intro took, I haven't changed it.

Dec 12, 2009 at 11:31 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
I saw this in your signature and decided to try it...
PAINFUL DIFFICULTY! Of course I don't use a controller and I have trouble if I press too many keys at once... But, with rewind or save states it is pretty enjoyable :D

First level was tough since the difficulty is way up there right from the beginning, no basic learning curve... [haven't *really* played SMW since it came out... originally]
Like when I went through the whole top route practicing the jumps, to only get a mushroom :o [was small the first time] Fireflower was pretty awesome though, strange shooting. Lava was annoying at first [the duck jumps, with rewind you adapt pretty quick]...
And then I went the top route...
Arrrrgh the timer really is bothersome in this mod :o I made it to the end to find the sign and pit of doom... Was bothered about starting over, but from there on I got the hang of it.

Maybe you should have a little mario + princess + toadstool + yoshi intro before the first level? Mario getting all the attention etc... Before Luigi sets off on his latest quest :p :D

Next level was awesome with the music :D And the new enemies from other mario games. Each level is a little non-sensical due to so much variety, but on the other hand, it makes everything interesting and new [long as you have REWIND!]
Getting the feather was HECK annoying... don't want to imagine getting that without rewind... would be a lot easier in some parts if I could look up and have the screen look up, or down...

Loved some of the music xD Sounded like Cave Story, Final Fantasy something?, and who knows what else...

The story dialog also was a nice touch... although odd the second time you hear it again even though you already have finished that part.

I really expected the Secret Shop to be in the Cave Story music level lol
Enjoyable secrets though, nothing toooo hard to find.

Third level was a little frightening [the sun especially] lol [actually that dialog should appear when you are looking at the sun, rather than after you pass it...

I believe I got like 20+ lives from that level because of hopping on the enemies heads at the end [with cape I can keep getting more and more and more... especially the leaping guys that keep coming for more!]

Biggest annoyance would be not having save points in the middle of the stages... starting over without using rewind ... ar..g..h.....

Green palace was fun for the most part, those steps were pretty troublesome though.. near the end; Luigi would start freaking out, and face at ME for a second not letting me control him. It happened every 10-15 seconds? Making those timed jumps over lava [over the thawmps or whatnot] a pain! Luigi would get cold feet and look at me, and by the time it gives me control I'd leap into something bad :p
I TRIED to go through the lava part though, you know before you go through the door [and really go over the lava part but with platforms]. I thought there might be something on the other side if I bounced off the jumping lava beans. Probably nothing there lol

THE CAPE is waesome, after I got that I would reload/rewind whenever I get hit or lose it... It makes things a lot easier in many cases. Soon as I got the cape I was all over the pit of doom in the first level.... and YAY!!!

OHH! WE HAVE A VISITOR!! Liked the shop~ I laughed when I bought the ... you know what on the right lol I bought that since it was unique... [and it came in handy soon after too]

THE MUSHROOM FOREST LEVEL was awesome but ANNOYING! Most of it was just really fun :D But I couldn't touch any mushroom since I didn't want to lose my fireflower... And a few of the areas near the end were a real pain... but once again, as long as you rewind it kept me playing. The difficulty of all the levels seem about the same to me actually, all pretty darn tough; but rewind makes it fun~
I made it to the secret next level... Oh yes, but that's where I stopped. I got NEAR THE END and ran out of time... thus having to restart the entire level over... ugh! Was fun though. Level design is pretty cool, every level so far has featured radically new things. Good show.

I bet I'd have found Balrog if I would have beaten that level.. or one step closer to him lol.

Favorite thing though was how it seems like there is a plot... sorta. Like making it through the cave heading up to the hill to get a good look at (the castle?) Although I was kinda expecting a background to feature the castle on top of the hill or something :rolleyes:

Luigiiiiii

Dec 13, 2009 at 1:00 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Finally, someone besides Khan.....

I'll be talking about spoilerz stuff with X-Calibar, so read at your own risk.
X-Calibar said:
PAINFUL DIFFICULTY! Of course I don't use a controller and I have trouble if I press too many keys at once... But, with rewind or save states it is pretty enjoyable :o
Yeah, I guess I made it a little too difficult for the casual player, but I figured it everyone was easy and beatable without dying a few times, it'd be boring :rolleyes:
One thing I think that might trip people up for awhile is that I changed Luigi's physics, so you can't rely too much on what the original SMW felt like.

X-Calibar said:
First level was tough since the difficulty is way up there right from the beginning, no basic learning curve... [haven't *really* played SMW since it came out... originally]
Yeah, the curve's more of a straight line, assuming you already know the basics of SMW.
I might just have to go back and outright replace those levels >.>;
X-Calibar said:
Like when I went through the whole top route practicing the jumps, to only get a mushroom :o [was small the first time] Fireflower was pretty awesome though, strange shooting.
Yeap, Luigi's gravity deifying fireballs :o
Too bad I can't make them green... {Without consequences}
X-Calibar said:
Arrrrgh the timer really is bothersome in this mod :o I made it to the end to find the sign and pit of doom... Was bothered about starting over, but from there on I got the hang of it.
I read somewhere about taking your best time and adding 100-200 seconds to it for the level's time limit.
I guess since I'm so use to the level that I can do it backwards, and since I skipped that pipe because I already knew what was in it, I made the timer a bit too short :D;
X-Calibar said:
Maybe you should have a little mario + princess + toadstool + yoshi intro before the first level? Mario getting all the attention etc... Before Luigi sets off on his latest quest :D :p
I'd like to, but hacking SMW is nothing like hacking Cave Story >.>;
In order to have anything related to a cutscene, I'd have to delve into some advance assembly stuff, as the game's just not set up for something like that.
{The best cutscenes I've seen done on a SMW ROM hack involved a completely black screen, with the character's appearing in the top right with text; and that alone took a lot of work}
X-Calibar said:
Next level was awesome with the music :D And the new enemies from other mario games. Each level is a little non-sensical due to so much variety, but on the other hand, it makes everything interesting and new [long as you have REWIND!]
Custom music was a big aim for me.
It took the longest time for me to ever get it working. {At one point I had quit on the hack for awhile, because I just couldn't get the music to work}
But, I consider music just as important as graphics or gameplay, as the right song can make all the difference :D
For the 'Main Overworld', those levels are going to have a bit of everything and probably end up a little mix-matched, but once you reach certain areas like a sub-map, firm patterns will appear.
X-Calibar said:
Getting the feather was HECK annoying... don't want to imagine getting that without rewind... would be a lot easier in some parts if I could look up and have the screen look up, or down...
Hmm?
You mean to say you got the Feather the moment you reached that level?
Ifso, you ser just broke the game.
You're not suppose to get the feather until you complete the Green Switch Palace ^.^;

X-Calibar said:
Loved some of the music xD Sounded like Cave Story, Final Fantasy something?, and who knows what else...
There's Cave Story, Final Fantasy, Breath of Fire, the Mario and Luigi RPGs, Paper Mario, Sonic, Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, Super Mario RPG, and tons more, along with custom remixes or creations.
I've got about 100 songs currently in the ROM, so you've only heard a fraction :D
X-Calibar said:
The story dialog also was a nice touch... although odd the second time you hear it again even though you already have finished that part.
Yeah, but I can't really fix that without some advance hacking...
But I'd rather have some repeat than none at all.
X-Calibar said:
I really expected the Secret Shop to be in the Cave Story music level lol
Enjoyable secrets though, nothing toooo hard to find.
Really, that's apart of a chain of secrets.
There's going to be a secret subworld, which holds the best and toughest levels, and holds a key part of the plot, but it's completely optional.
Reaching it involves finding and beating the 4 hidden and extremely tough Fortresses.
Currently, the first one is beatable in the hack, but only through a series of secrets, as you've been following :D
X-Calibar said:
Third level was a little frightening [the sun especially] lol [actually that dialog should appear when you are looking at the sun, rather than after you pass it...
The problem with that is, the sprite used to active the dialog is horribly fickle.
I place it on the top half of screen 07 and it actives on the bottom half of screen 09 or something.
I'll try fixing it, but it's just very picky....
X-Calibar said:
I believe I got like 20+ lives from that level because of hopping on the enemies heads at the end [with cape I can keep getting more and more and more... especially the leaping guys that keep coming for more!]
Those are actually from some NES Mario games ^.^;
I decided to leave that in, for a number of reasons, difficulty among them.
If it wasn't for rewind, there's a high chance of you killing yourself when you attempt that {For some reason, you take damage when you jump on two enemies sharing a space, no matter what}, so technically you're cheating for those lives =P
{Or you were just really good at platforming there, so you deserved them}
X-Calibar said:
Biggest annoyance would be not having save points in the middle of the stages... starting over without using rewind ... ar..g..h.....
I know, I know, I'm still trying to figure out how the midpoints work.
I tried placing the separate pieces together like a puzzle from the direct map {It comes in like 5 pieces}, and it didn't work.
I even copied it from an original level, and it just glitched up and covered screens 01 through infinity.
Hopefully I'll figure those out soon...

X-Calibar said:
Green palace was fun for the most part, those steps were pretty troublesome though.. near the end; Luigi would start freaking out, and face at ME for a second not letting me control him. It happened every 10-15 seconds? Making those timed jumps over lava [over the thawmps or whatnot] a pain! Luigi would get cold feet and look at me, and by the time it gives me control I'd leap into something bad :D
I TRIED to go through the lava part though, you know before you go through the door [and really go over the lava part but with platforms]. I thought there might be something on the other side if I bounced off the jumping lava beans. Probably nothing there lol
For the cold feet, there's actually some Power Thwomps mixed in with the regular ones.
They're a custom enemy and so share the regular Thwomp's sprite, so you can't really tell it's them until it's too late.
When they hit the ground, their pound is so strong it stuns Luigi.
As for jumping across the lava without going past the door solely on Poodaboo's, you're insane O.o;
I didn't even think about trying that. :D;
The reason the door is there is that I needed to change the level's properties.
This caused half of the level to work and the other half to freak on me; so I just divided it into two levels, trying to make it look like one.
Also help's bypass the sprite limit.

X-Calibar said:
THE CAPE is waesome, after I got that I would reload/rewind whenever I get hit or lose it... It makes things a lot easier in many cases. Soon as I got the cape I was all over the pit of doom in the first level.... and YAY!!!
Yeah, Cape always roxzors.
Infact, it's so awesome that I had to put in those deadly clouds of death to prevent people from skipping entire levels.
And it's why I forced the player {or at least tried} to complete the hidden Green Switch Palace first.
Come later levels, you might just lose the Cape, because it's awesomeness would be too much :D

X-Calibar said:
OHH! WE HAVE A VISITOR!! Liked the shop~ I laughed when I bought the ... you know what on the right lol I bought that since it was unique... [and it came in handy soon after too]
I wanted to make sure the Shop was as perfect as I could make it for the guest star :D
I see you're still following the chain of secrets, and I hope you can make it all the way to the first Fortress. {I'm afraid Khan might not make it}
There will be more shops, some not hidden, while others being extremely hard to get to, but holding special items as rewards.
And each one will bring back nostalgia, and not just for Cave Story :D

X-Calibar said:
THE MUSHROOM FOREST LEVEL was awesome but ANNOYING! Most of it was just really fun :D But I couldn't touch any mushroom since I didn't want to lose my fireflower... And a few of the areas near the end were a real pain... but once again, as long as you rewind it kept me playing.
Personality, that level's my favorite, too. Even if it's harder than the rest.
The trick is learning to tell the mushrooms apart, not all of those are poisonous :D
Also, if you haven't figured it out, I made that level basically because of that one song, which is originally entitled "Beware of the Forest Mushrooms".
And yeah, the end needed a mid-point badly, but I just can't figure out the blasted things for the life of me....

X-Calibar said:
I made it to the secret next level... Oh yes, but that's where I stopped. I got NEAR THE END and ran out of time... thus having to restart the entire level over... ugh! Was fun though.
So you figured out the use of the third buyable item? Awesome!
That next level is basically a time trial; the water drains your timer, it's full of deadends and slowdowns, and it's really freakin' long.
I'd have to say it's my second or third favorite :D
X-Calibar said:
Level design is pretty cool, every level so far has featured radically new things. Good show.
Thanks, I was afraid of being bland by reusing things too often, which resulted in the constant blast of new things...
I've barely scrapped the tip of the ice berg for simple custom blocks, though, so expect more >=D
X-Calibar said:
Favorite thing though was how it seems like there is a plot... sorta. Like making it through the cave heading up to the hill to get a good look at (the castle?) Although I was kinda expecting a background to feature the castle on top of the hill or something :p
The plot's not a major point of the hack, but I'll focus on it as much as I can.
And if you mean the Hilltop View level, I hadn't actually thought about that idea...
{Most because of how backgrounds work, but now I've got a cool idea to get it to work, so thanks :D}

X-Calibar said:
Luigiiiiii
Luuuuiigiiii

Dec 27, 2009 at 5:21 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I've only played two SMW hacks/edits; "Bowser's Revenge" and "Legend of Luigi". The former was intentionally difficult and malicious; the latter was also tough, but mainly due to poor level design. Neither had much in the way of fancy stuff like yours, though. I guess my question is, have you played either of those and if so how does the difficulty of yours compare?

Jan 8, 2010 at 2:11 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Surprise post!

Huh, for some reason the forum didn't notify me about your post, I've only just now seen it.
Noxid said:
I've only played two SMW hacks/edits; "Bowser's Revenge" and "Legend of Luigi". The former was intentionally difficult and malicious; the latter was also tough, but mainly due to poor level design. Neither had much in the way of fancy stuff like yours, though. I guess my question is, have you played either of those and if so how does the difficulty of yours compare?
I've only played like 2 or 3 ROM hacks {Counting Khan's gauntlet, which is insane}, none of which were those two, but I always found them either pretty hard {Damn you Khan} or so easy as to have breezed through it in mere minutes.
Anyways, I tried to make my hack challenging, because I didn't want it to just be like more of those original, easy Super Mario World levels, I wanted it to be tough, victory earned through effort. {Lots of it, apparently} I'm not aiming for those "lololol look at my super impossible mario hack" types of ROMs {There's tons of those, which is why I'm surprised people call this one hard}, I'm just going for a difficult, but fun hack.

Oh, and whenever I finish my Sacred Grounds level in SMW, don't try it if you're having trouble with this :confused:;
{It makes SLW look like a cake walk}

Mar 5, 2010 at 11:15 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Okay, finally got around to playing it. It was quite nice for the most part, although there were a couple things I didn't like, namely:

The first level; it's quite possibly the toughest (which doesn't make sense to me) and I almost gave up before that first jump. Well, technically I did give up - I gave up trying to beat it without savestate abuse.

3rd person narrative: first person would probably feel more natural to me, but this is a personal opinion. Also, you spelled "hummed" with one m in one of the message boxes. Unfortunately, that'll totally mess up your nicely justified text in that one.

Some minor graphical mixups [a couple tiles out of place, the coins in one of the levels (second?) had the bottom row of pixels look odd] and other things that felt like errors [Lou doesn't walk up certain slope tiles on the ground level, sometimes the note blocks bounce in two directions at once, there was a football man in the first level that only appeared some of the time, Munchy Mushroom has the quick-direction-flip glitch]

Beat Rawst Geno's forest with 5 seconds to go >.>
Also, the bonus game be trippin'.

What I liked:
The new enemies are very well done. I especially liked those crazy Easter Island heads. I can't remember which mario game they're from, but I'm pretty sure it was one on the Gameboy.

I only heard the music in level one because I had to turn my sound off, but I'll assume the rest was just as nice.

The fact that there are bonus levels. Even though I didn't find em first time through :/

All around, this one is much much better than those other two I played.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~EDIT~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~tilde~~~~~~

Finished a bit of homework, so I sat down and finished the game. I managed to find the green switch palace all by myself but had thought it unbeatable without the feather... so I spent a long time looking for the feather and found a few other things... So, I looked on this thread and got a hint in the stuff you said in a post a few above this one. Anyway, I played with music [fantastic] and finished all the levels. There were two other typos but, eh, I forget what it was >.> Shaln't? Maybe. Also, by lou I mean luigi.

Spoilerish content below
The special shop was neat, I was surprised I could buy a live koopa :0
Although, turns out I didn't even need it. If you're really careful [or compulsive with savestates] then you can get through the forest without touching a good or bad mushroom. I let him go inside the piranha plant :]

Also managed to keep the cape to the end of that, and I was disappointed when I found out there was nothing on the other side of that last pipe when I flew over the pit.

The goomba fortress was indeed awesome, the only recommendation I'd have is that big room with the thwomps and spikes on all the walls? Maybe it could be abit more obvious that you can jump up those pillars, I had to try and use my cape to fly over it many times in vain.

Mar 6, 2010 at 1:02 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
STUPID COPY AND PASTE! Now I gotta rewrite everything....

Noxid said:
The first level; it's quite possibly the toughest (which doesn't make sense to me) and I almost gave up before that first jump. Well, technically I did give up - I gave up trying to beat it without savestate abuse.
Yeah, I've been pretty busy for awhile now, but I'm going to try redoing what's release of SLW so far, and that level's going to be my main target.
I may just remove the entire thing and start from scratch....
Noxid said:
3rd person narrative: first person would probably feel more natural to me, but this is a personal opinion. Also, you spelled "hummed" with one m in one of the message boxes. Unfortunately, that'll totally mess up your nicely justified text in that one.
I can't remember exactly why I picked the third-person narrative, possibly so people would know without a doubt it was Luigi speaking, but I'll probably switch it to First, and maybe even opt for a few more hacks, like those special Cutscene ones I've been seeing...
And that spelling error is so going down.
Noxid said:
Some minor graphical mixups [a couple tiles out of place, the coins in one of the levels (second?) had the bottom row of pixels look odd] and other things that felt like errors [Lou doesn't walk up certain slope tiles on the ground level, sometimes the note blocks bounce in two directions at once, there was a football man in the first level that only appeared some of the time, Munchy Mushroom has the quick-direction-flip glitch]
While trying to learn Assembly at SMWCentral, I also picked up more things about SMW hacking, so while going through and redoing all the levels I'm sure I can fix some of the things like tile-mismatches and the weird custom coin graphic error, and even the Ghost Shroom's insanely fast turnspeed into something a little less ugly, now that I've learned enough Assembly.
But, I don't think I can fix things like the Note Blocks bouncing twice in one hit {I think they did that in the original, too...}, or Lou's walking issues. {If you mean Lou as in the Frog things, I'll probably end up redesigning that part of the level around them...}

Noxid said:
Beat Rawst Geno's forest with 5 seconds to go >.>
Well, since a large amount of it is auto-scrolled, I didn't think time an issue, but I'll probably fix that when I redesign it a bit, too.
Noxid said:
Also, the bonus game be trippin'.
Ah, that was my favorite, too.
At first, the issue of dying on impact against a wall when moving at insane speeds was a glitch, but since the game lacked almost any real danger whatsoever without it, I thought it'd be fun to keep it.
Noxid said:
What I liked:
The new enemies are very well done. I especially liked those crazy Easter Island heads. I can't remember which mario game they're from, but I'm pretty sure it was one on the Gameboy.
Remember, though, I didn't make any of them. {The only one I've worked on is having issues with moving up and to the side at the same time...}
The list is huge, but all the spriters {Not graphics, sprites refer to everything from the graphics to the code in SMW} are from SMWCentral.
Noxid said:
I only heard the music in level one because I had to turn my sound off, but I'll assume the rest was just as nice.
Damn, the music was actually one of the toughest parts of getting to work in the hack...
I almost gave up an the entire thing when I couldn't get it working after weeks of work, and then there was the issue of not being able to run some of the 'better' music because I didn't apply a required patch. {But I figured out a trick using Translhextion, and learned how to modify the game code myself to make it work}
I consider the music an important part of the mod, really...
{As much as graphics or enemies or such}
Noxid said:
The fact that there are bonus levels. Even though I didn't find em first time through :/
I had a lot more interesting bonus levels planned, but I couldn't get most of them to work, which lead to something relatively boring, such as picking between two items, one being bad and one being good.
But now, expect more bonus levels that are more fun.
They'll probably be hidden even harder, though.
{Learn which colour of coins are good and which are bad}

Noxid said:
All around, this one is much much better than those other two I played.
Oh, really? Thanks. :p
Maybe I should try uploading it to SMWCentral, after I've made it easier...
{Not getting as much feedback as I expected :)}

Also, did you ever make it to
Madness Fortress/Goomba Fortress?
That's probably my favorite level, to the point that I probably won't touch it when I redo everything.

EDIT:
Noxid said:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~EDIT~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~tilde~~~~~~

Finished a bit of homework, so I sat down and finished the game. I managed to find the green switch palace all by myself but had thought it unbeatable without the feather... so I spent a long time looking for the feather and found a few other things... So, I looked on this thread and got a hint in the stuff you said in a post a few above this one. Anyway, I played with music [fantastic] and finished all the levels. There were two other typos but, eh, I forget what it was >.> Shaln't? Maybe. Also, by lou I mean luigi.
What was required for the Green Palace that you needed a Feather for? The entire first room should be finished without having to move. {Except when you get near a wall, moving in the oppisite direction prevents Wall Deaths}
And more typos? I will hunt them down with a burning righteous fury.
Oh, and Luigi is having troubles with tiles? Ohhh, I know the problem, and I thought I had fixed it >.>;
But I'll get it this time, ayep.

Noxid said:
Spoilerish content below
Noxid said:
The special shop was neat, I was surprised I could buy a live koopa :0
Although, turns out I didn't even need it. If you're really careful [or compulsive with savestates] then you can get through the forest without touching a good or bad mushroom. I let him go inside the piranha plant :]
Actually, you can buy a live Goomba too, and I'm sure I could make it into even a live Bowser, but...
What do you mean you didn't need the Koopa? You need his shell to get past those turnable blocks unless you...
....Caped it? Ugh, I thought I prevented that >.>

Noxid said:
Also managed to keep the cape to the end of that, and I was disappointed when I found out there was nothing on the other side of that last pipe when I flew over the pit.
Wait, what pit? You mean the first level? But that's where the shop is...
{Hope there's not some bug I missed >.>, knew the whole cape business was too abusive to keep, I might just make it usable in only a few select levels at this rate, or maybe disable fly or something...}
Noxid said:
The goomba fortress was indeed awesome, the only recommendation I'd have is that big room with the thwomps and spikes on all the walls? Maybe it could be abit more obvious that you can jump up those pillars, I had to try and use my cape to fly over it many times in vain.
Hmm, I'll probably add an item or enemy or something, I guess, on the first pillar you see.
It's so hard to see that kind of thing when you're the one who made the level XD