Super Bash Bro's Ultimate

Dec 7, 2012 at 3:44 AM
"Huzzah!"
Hey guys, so I was inspired by HaydenStudios to make a topic on one of my old-ish Game Maker games.

I found one of my Game Maker games that is actually worth playing: "Super Bash Bro's Ultimate". This game was inspired by Super Smash Brothers for the N64 (this was before any later Smash Bro's games), but it only uses items for attacking and jumping on the other player's head also kills them; there are no physical attacks like using fists and kicking.

Though a good amount of it is for 2 players only, there are a number of mini games that are actually pretty enjoyable and it makes this worth a download even if you don't plan on doing any 2 player stuff at all. I highly recommend trying out Peach's Nightmare, if anything (and you haven't truly beaten this mini game until you can find and defeat Big Boo.. can you do it?? heh heh).

I've included a save with the "Peach's Nightmare" mini game already unlocked, because I know how hard it is to find all of the unlockable content. There is also a code to unlock everything, and I can message it to you if you want. I created the "unlock all" code because the system for unlocking things was the game's major flaw. It's flawed because of the many times that it relies on 2 active players for the unlocking on various things. That said, it is possible to unlock everything with only one player, but it's just.. odd to do so. This was an oversight on my part. When I made this game, I wasn't as bright as I am today; I'd never create such a weird unlocking system. It's sad because there are some cool things to unlock that many people will probably never see, unless they use the unlock all cheat.

Just to give you an idea on what you can unlock: The mini games include: Scrolling shooters, a bomberman style game, some classic platforming action of the Mario and Peach kind, a pipe maze, and more. And there are some fairly entertaining short movies/animations as well. Of course, there is a good amount of unlockable multi-player content as well, being characters and stages.

p161254-0-3024sbbu.jpg

Download mirror 1:
http://www.2shared.com/file/oqZ7Xg2R/SBBUv1_1.html
Download mirror 2:
http://www.mediafire.com/?56uv6f2sxm8gx0v

Note: If you want to unlock everything yourself, simply delete the save file that comes with it. There are only two things unlocked in the current save file: The Pipe Master mini game and Peach's Nightmare mini game. If you want to unlock everything yourself, but you want to know how to unlock everything, I have a master list of all the unlockable content that tells how to unlock everything.

EDIT:
The odd error has been fixed. This error was caused by some weird persistent thing that ended up being screwed up from porting to GM8. It still makes no sense why it messed up, but it works fine now that it has been removed (it had to do with turning the sound on/off, so that option is now gone, but it's not a big deal).

Dec 7, 2012 at 3:34 PM
CARLSOOOOOON AAAAND PEEEEETERSSSSSS!
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Hm... seems interesting. I'll download it and get back with you on what I think, 'kay.

Dec 7, 2012 at 6:01 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
HOLY FREAKING CRAP!!

YOU'RE the person who made Super Bash Bros Ultimate!?!?

Oh man, you are my hero. I don't think you know how much joy this game brought me when I was nine.

Sorry for freaking out, but this is quite a big deal for me. I played this, and it was one of my favorite Game Maker games ever. I've unlocked almost everything, except for I've never beaten the mini-game Blast Bros because I've never been able to get a willing enough partner who's been willing to help me get past that level with the tanks.

One of my friends to whom I introduced this game though, said he and his brother managed to get inside that castle, and that there was a boss in there. Of course you know this since you created it though, but yeah.

And oh man, I thought I might some day be able to ask someone who knew, but by no means whatsoever did I think I would be able to ask the creator himself something that I haven't been able to figure out for the life of me, and have wondered ever since I was nine:

How the heck do you get up there?

SBBUHighPlatform.png

Also, something my brother discovered when I was nine, and he twelve:
The help said:
The question boxes will turn dark after being hit, nut they will light up again after a short time...
One last thing: please use mediafire, 2/4shared is crap. I couldn't download it with that, so I had to use a copy that I've had on my computer for years to take that screenshot.

Dec 8, 2012 at 12:08 AM
"Huzzah!"
HOLY FREAKING CRAP!!

YOU'RE the person who made Super Bash Bros Ultimate!?!?

Oh man, you are my hero. I don't think you know how much joy this game brought me when I was nine.
Thanks. :mahin: A lot of my friends also enjoyed this game when they were younger. It's definitely got some flaws, but it's still pretty enjoyable. I'm glad that it meant that much to you as a kid.

How the heck do you get up there?
You must press the jump button right as you hit the top of one of the turtles. It will give you a boost that is able to get you up there. You can do this with the goombas as well. It can be a bit difficult to time it right.

The help,, said:
The question boxes will turn dark after being hit, nut they will light up again after a short time...
Oops, looks like I missed the "b" key. Strange, I usually catch typos. Well, I don't think it's a big enough deal to go back and reupload a new version with the correction. Thanks for pointing it out though. If someone really wants me to fix it, I will. If not, I'll just leave it as is. The game has a few other flaws that are worse, like the "hidden" blocks in The Classic. They are solid even before you bump them, and you can jump on them even if you haven't bumped them. This was because of the way I programmed the gravity and did collision checking. It would require going through some VERY messy code to fix it, so I'm leaving that alone as well. :p

One last thing: please use mediafire, 2/4shared is crap. I couldn't download it with that, so I had to use a copy that I've had on my computer for years to take that screenshot.
Ok, I put it up as a secondary link. I didn't use mediafire at first because I actually get problems with downloading from that, and when it does work it is very slow, but 2shared works well and super fast for me. So I guess it's best to keep both just in case someone has a problem with one link, they can try the other one.

Dec 8, 2012 at 6:07 AM
Based Member
FrozenFire said:
You must press the jump button right as you hit the top of one of the turtles. It will give you a boost that is able to get you up there. You can do this with the goombas as well. It can be a bit difficult to time it right.
Aha, got it! Another one of my childhood mysteries solved.

FrozenFire said:
Oops, looks like I missed the "b" key. Strange, I usually catch typos. Well, I don't think it's a big enough deal to go back and reupload a new version with the correction. Thanks for pointing it out though. If someone really wants me to fix it, I will. If not, I'll just leave it as is. The game has a few other flaws that are worse, like the "hidden" blocks in The Classic. They are solid even before you bump them, and you can jump on them even if you haven't bumped them. This was because of the way I programmed the gravity and did collision checking. It would require going through some VERY messy code to fix it, so I'm leaving that alone as well. :p
Oh please, don't change a single byte of information, lest you'll ruin a portion of my childhood. I just told you about that typo for kicks. And it was my brother who discovered it.

FrozenFire said:
Ok, I put it up as a secondary link. I didn't use mediafire at first because I actually get problems with downloading from that, and when it does work it is very slow, but 2shared works well and super fast for me. So I guess it's best to keep both just in case someone has a problem with one link, they can try the other one.
Thank you.

EDIT: Yes! I finally beat the minigame Blast Bros just today! I realized the trick. If you are one person, then hide the other player in an area that the koopa won't pass through which can be identified by a skull that's still there even after a full cycle of the boss' path. And to keep spamming bombs at the center of the stage, and then go to the safe zone while you wait for them to detonate!

Nov 22, 2020 at 11:33 PM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
I am also a huge fan of your game!

I've been playing it for decades but I still haven't unlocked everything because I'm still missing some of the playable characters, some of the minigames, and some of the short movies, simply because I have no idea how to unlock them!
Could I please have the unlock everything code, as well as a master list of all the unlockable content that tells how to unlock everything?

Nov 23, 2020 at 2:35 AM
Based Member
Oh hi old thread. Nice to see I'm not the only one who still appreciates this game.

I knew I was smart to back this up, here's the "SBBUCheats" document that outlines all the unlockables. I'm pretty sure it was FrozenFire himself who wrote that document, but I don't actually know that for a fact, I just remember finding this document ages ago and backing it up.

In particular, to unlock everything:
First, go to the options menu. Now type in "SBBU." You must type it in fairly fast, or it won't catch it. If you did it right, it will tell you that you have unlocked everything. Have fun playing with the new stuff!