Summer ORGmaking Extravaganza

Do you plan on participating in one of these contests?

• Yes, all of them.

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Yes, one or two of them.

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • No.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • I'm not sure.

Votes: 9 40.9%

• Total voters
Jul 1, 2016 at 8:58 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Just one day left to make your submissions for the first contest. If you're interested in submitting, you'd better do it soon!

Jul 1, 2016 at 10:51 PM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Oh no I'm almost finished mine, got work all day though. D:

Why was @cavestoryLOL 's entry not included in the list? It seems to fall within the rules and was submitted within the allotted time.

Jul 1, 2016 at 11:05 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Just one day left to make your submissions for the first contest. If you're interested in submitting, you'd better do it soon!

Do you mean that they can't be submitted after the 1st or the 2nd?

Jul 2, 2016 at 10:29 AM
Beakface
Welp I'm finally submitting my entry.

Rays of Relaxation: when summer is all about going through the motions of work, contemplating life and making resolutions for the upcoming September. Mm oh yeah that's somewhat relaxing.

Jul 2, 2016 at 5:47 PM
Oh no I'm almost finished mine, got work all day though. D:

Why was @cavestoryLOL 's entry not included in the list? It seems to fall within the rules and was submitted within the allotted time.

Today is the last day, midnight tonight is when the contest ends. @cavestoryLOL said he wanted to revise his, and I told him he could, but I'll add it at the end of the day if he doesn't resubmit.

Jul 3, 2016 at 3:35 AM
Unfinished, but I was working on a transcription of Elvish Piper Academy from Dustforce for this round. I bit off a bit more than I could chew and lost momentum making the song near the end so I didn't get as far as I would have liked

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g5lylk8w14z3w0x/Elvish Piper Academy.org?dl=0

You know what, actually I'm going to make a new entry in the hour or so I have left before midnight:
https://www.twitch.tv/takeshi64

Okay I made something in the past hour and it's now 5 minutes to midnight so here is my entry:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/45udvkkraih0dvk/Evitagorretni.org?dl=0

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2016 at 6:55 PM
I'm looking at the post where he submitted, and it gives no indication that he wanted to withdraw and resubmit. Did he express this elsewhere?

He said he wanted to change a few things, implying he would want to resubmit it. I'm adding him, Takeshi, and the poll soon.

Unfinished, but I was working on a transcription of Elvish Piper Academy from Dustforce for this round. I bit off a bit more than I could chew and lost momentum making the song near the end so I didn't get as far as I would have liked

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g5lylk8w14z3w0x/Elvish Piper Academy.org?dl=0

You know what, actually I'm going to make a new entry in the hour or so I have left before midnight:
https://www.twitch.tv/takeshi64

Okay I made something in the past hour and it's now 5 minutes to midnight so here is my entry:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/45udvkkraih0dvk/Evitagorretni.org?dl=0

Takeshi which one is your entry? Both? I'll assume it's both.

EDIT:

I posted the poll, you have three days to vote for your favorite!

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2016 at 7:27 PM
Takeshi which one is your entry? Both? I'll assume it's both.

EDIT:

I posted the poll, you have three days to vote for your favorite!

I'm fine with both being entered. Also, you seem to have forgotten RSK's entry in the poll.

Jul 3, 2016 at 7:28 PM
I'm fine with both being entered. Also, you seem to have forgotten RSK's entry in the poll.

Crap sorry, I didn't see the blue text in his post...

Jul 4, 2016 at 4:26 PM
Jul 4, 2016 at 7:34 PM
Beakface
I finished the video last night and now it's uploaded and ready to go!

(durations and stuff are in the description)

This is going to be a tough round; the entries overall were very solid. I must say that I have a bit of a bias towards original compositions over transcriptions, since they can be judged by listening to the music itself (as opposed to a transcription, which requires more familiarity with the original work). But I will try my best to stick to the essence of the theme: does the ORG capture the ambiguous feeling that is summer?

Jul 7, 2016 at 2:48 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Another batch of good entries. Summer Blaster has a really nice melody and percussion, but the lower octave stuff (namely tracks 7 and 8) turned me off from voting on it. It was really tough to decide between the two I liked the most, Evitagorretni and Yoshi Star Galaxy, but in the end I decided on the former. It starts off kinda weak, but oh man once that bass kicks in...

Jul 7, 2016 at 9:53 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Is it just me or does Tpcool's Lava Reef sound better than the original.

For me it was a toss up between Lava Reef and Rays of Relaxation. Although I settled on rays because it really encapsulates that summer soundtrack vibe.

I must say that I have a bit of a bias towards original compositions over transcriptions, since they can be judged by listening to the music itself (as opposed to a transcription, which requires more familiarity with the original work).

Elvish Piper Academy Original (for comparison):

Lava Reef Original:

Yoshi Star Galaxy Original:

Jul 8, 2016 at 2:09 AM
The results are in, and the winner is @Random-storykeeper with his ORG "Rays of Relaxation"! I'll be creating a custom signature banner for you in a few days as your prize! I'll also be putting up the next competition's information momentarily.

upload_2016-7-7_21-15-16.png

EDIT:

The next contest is announced! Create a Cat-themed ORG for Cat Month 2016! See the original post for details.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2016 at 6:20 AM
Professional Whatever
>cat themed org
boly fuck it is finally doors original's time to shine, sorry guys but i'll be stealing first place for this one

Jul 9, 2016 at 12:22 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Since it's using the cat drums and therefore can't really be put in a mod would it be too much of a stretch to allow other drums as well?

Also is there still going to be a transcribe-a-real-song round? Because I was kinda looking forward to that one :toroko:

Jul 10, 2016 at 12:40 AM
Since it's using the cat drums and therefore can't really be put in a mod would it be too much of a stretch to allow other drums as well?

Also is there still going to be a transcribe-a-real-song round? Because I was kinda looking forward to that one :toroko:

Most people will use the Cat Instrument as an actual instrument and not a drum anyway (I think). So no.

There are three two-week competitions left, so yes, there will be a Transcription Contest.

Jul 10, 2016 at 10:59 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
The next contest is announced! Create a Cat-themed ORG for Cat Month 2016!
Second Contest: Best Cat-Themed ORG - July 7th - July 23rd
In celebration of Cat Month 2016, create an ORG utilizing the cat instrument included in ORGmaker 2.0. This instrument should replace one of the standard Cave Story drums (you cannot add it to the 7th or 8th drum slots).
Most people will use the Cat Instrument as an actual instrument and not a drum anyway (I think). So no.

When you said "So no", did you mean you will allow other drums (no, it's not too much of a stretch, you'll allow it), or you will not allow other drums (no, they're not allowed)?

Can you tell me more what you mean by "use the Cat Instrument as an actual instrument and not a drum"? I don't understand that.

Can you tell me more about why you want to allow the Cat drum to replace one Cave Story drum, but require the other Cave Story drums be kept? Using Cat means it will be incompatible with Cave Story, so I don't understand the benefit of the other drums remaining as Cave Story drums.