Summer ORGmaking Extravaganza

Do you plan on participating in one of these contests?

• Yes, all of them.

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Yes, one or two of them.

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • No.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • I'm not sure.

Votes: 9 40.9%

• Total voters
Jun 7, 2016 at 12:55 AM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Alright, so a while back a ton of people were pestering me for another ORGmaking contest. Well people most people were busy with life (or school, they're separate things). Now that summer is almost here, and school is almost out, more people should be less busy. So, to make up for lost time, I present the summer-long...

ORG-making Extravaganza
Over the course of the summer, there will be two-week-long contests with specific themes. Join one, many, or any of them. Winners will be given a special forum signature tag made by me. The overall rules are as follows:
  • An ORG can only be submitted to one contest.
  • Maximum three submissions per contest.
  • All ORGs must use Cave Story compatible drums (unless otherwise stated).
  • Only ORGs made during the allotted contest time are allowed.
  • You must follow any terms and additional rules outlined for the individual contests.
So without further ado, let's introduce the contests! The thread will be updated after each contest ends to announce the next one.

First Contest: Best Summer-Themed ORG - June 19th - July 2nd
Create an original ORG with a summer theme to it. Transcriptions are allowed. A poll will be put up on July 3rd and will close on July 6th. The winners will be announced then.

UPDATE 7/3/16:
The poll for this contest is now up! You can vote for your favorite ORGs here.
UPDATE 7/4/16:
Video now included with the poll, courtesy of @Random-storykeeper.

Second Contest: Best Cat-Themed ORG - CANCELLED
In celebration of Cat Month 2016, create an ORG utilizing the cat instrument included in ORGmaker 2.0. You many use whatever other drums you want, however you still cannot use the 7th or 8th drum slots. Transcriptions are allowed. A poll will be put up on July 24th and voting will end on July 30th. The winners will be announced then.

None yet!

UPDATE 7/26/2016: Contest completely cancelled due to interference from Modcon. Next one will start on August 1st.

Summer-long Video Game Themed Contest - June 7th - August 27th
Over the course of the entire summer, contestants can create a set of ORGs for a special month-long contest. Every videogame has four fundamental themed tracks:
  • Title theme.
  • Area theme.
  • Main hub or safe area theme.
  • Boss theme.
The submissions for the month of August will include four ORGs themed in this way. There should be an overlaying theme to these ORGs to fit a specific genre, style or mood of a videogame. For example, you could choose to make all four ORGs reminiscent of an old NES game, or of a modern shooter.
Contestants should submit all four ORGs at once in a .zip folder, along with the theme they chose for their submission. No transcriptions for this contest. The poll for this one will go up on August 28th and end on September 1st.

None yet!

Alright ORGmakers. The first contest is in a week! Hope fully people stay interested in this one all summer. Good luck to all you ORGmakers out there!

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2016 at 1:00 AM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
I'll enter.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2016 at 4:06 PM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Hm these do look fun. It would be a lot less overwhelming (and maybe more fair to the competition) if we got the theme at the start of the period, rather than having all themes revealed to us for the entirety of the summer. Are we allowed to start a future theme in advance?

It becomes harder to verify whether someone will actually make the ORG within the contest period or just spend two weeks making all the required themes and then put up the ORG as each contest begins. Granted it's nice to have the schedules out in advance, but now we could technically spend almost a month making that Cave Story remix while only having two weeks to create a summer ORG, as opposed to having just those two weeks each if the theme was revealed to us like that. Just food for thought.

Jun 7, 2016 at 4:53 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Cool idea. I do echo the concerns of @Random-storykeeper though. It's a little much to take in having this big Summer contest with four parts to it. But hey, that's fine. Also, I'd like to ask the same question she asked about starting themes in advance. It's a tad unclear as to whether or not that's appropriate.

I hope this generates a bunch of nice ORGs like the previous contests. I may submit one or two myself.

Jun 7, 2016 at 10:54 PM
Hm these do look fun. It would be a lot less overwhelming (and maybe more fair to the competition) if we got the theme at the start of the period, rather than having all themes revealed to us for the entirety of the summer. Are we allowed to start a future theme in advance?

It becomes harder to verify whether someone will actually make the ORG within the contest period or just spend two weeks making all the required themes and then put up the ORG as each contest begins. Granted it's nice to have the schedules out in advance, but now we could technically spend almost a month making that Cave Story remix while only having two weeks to create a summer ORG, as opposed to having just those two weeks each if the theme was revealed to us like that. Just food for thought.

Cool idea. I do echo the concerns of @Random-storykeeper though. It's a little much to take in having this big Summer contest with four parts to it. But hey, that's fine. Also, I'd like to ask the same question she asked about starting themes in advance. It's a tad unclear as to whether or not that's appropriate.

I hope this generates a bunch of nice ORGs like the previous contests. I may submit one or two myself.

You both bring up good points... perhaps I should just take down the other ones for now. I'll put information about them back up at the end. I'm going to make the "Month-long challenge" a summer-long one, however. You can work on that one starting after this post. The rest should be started within the challenge period, but that won't be an issue after I change the post hopefully.

EDIT:
I might join in on the fun and post some of my own work here during the course of the summer. I won't be participating in the contest, though, obviously.

EDIT2:
Also, to deter those who've already seen the contest info from starting on an ORG, the themes might not be the same or in the same order when I repost them.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2016 at 6:27 AM
Soup Man
I have mine. I don't know if you'd consider it Summer Themed. It takes (A LOT) of inspiration from Blues Machine by Paul Halliday.
It's called Blues Generator. For all those rainy days during the summer that you do CS modding. It's VERY repetitive, but this is my first ever ORG.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tntvabx0wky2yl5/Blues Generator.org?dl=0

Jun 11, 2016 at 9:19 PM
I have mine. I don't know if you'd consider it Summer Themed. It takes (A LOT) of inspiration from Blues Machine by Paul Halliday.
It's called Blues Generator. For all those rainy days during the summer that you do CS modding. It's VERY repetitive, but this is my first ever ORG.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tntvabx0wky2yl5/Blues Generator.org?dl=0

You realize the Summer-themed contest start date is June 19th right? That means this doesn't qualify, unless everybody else is willing to cut you some slack.

EDIT:

Which is good, because this could use some work. It's very short, and doesn't really have a clear melody and it lacks a bassline entirely. Have you ever taken a music class before, online or otherwise?

Jun 11, 2016 at 11:28 PM
Soup Man
You realize the Summer-themed contest start date is June 19th right? That means this doesn't qualify, unless everybody else is willing to cut you some slack.

EDIT:

Which is good, because this could use some work. It's very short, and doesn't really have a clear melody and it lacks a bassline entirely. Have you ever taken a music class before, online or otherwise?
Nope. Never done any musical work in my life. Sorry about being so early.

Jun 12, 2016 at 5:28 AM
Nope. Never done any musical work in my life. Sorry about being so early.

I strongly suggest you look at some short online lessons regarding Music Theory and notation, and then try making a few simple transcriptions before you start composing your own works. That's the best way to start ORGmaking. You still have a week before the contest even starts and two weeks after that, so take your time and try to learn how to do ORGmaking good and proper before you make your submission. If you'd like, you can PM me about it. This time I'd actually prefer you send a separate one from our art discussion, it'll be hard to manage both topics in the same PM.

Jun 19, 2016 at 10:48 PM
Today is the first day of the competition! You can now begin creating and submitting your ORGs for the Summer-themed contest! Good luck!

(I thought this warranted a new post since my previous one is a few days old.)

Jun 24, 2016 at 8:52 PM
"Huzzah!"
Won't really be able to do anything about the summer themed contest, although there will probably be some time for me to do something about the video game themed contest! I shall win the gold medal this time, just you wait!!!

Jun 26, 2016 at 3:47 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I made one for the first contest:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9OAokecSj3oanRKaUVKS0o1Yms/view?usp=sharing
BTW I'm interested.
EDIT: I just realized I forgot to do speaker panning on "Summer Blaster", but I guess it's too late. I don't think I did terrible, tho. (also, there is no actual looping in my song. I hope that's okay)
EDIT (again): Great. At the end, I started to rush. Welp. Looks like I'll have to wait and see. Hopefully I won't screw up when I do the VG music Contest.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2016 at 4:30 PM
BTW I'm interested.
EDIT: I just realized I forgot to do speaker panning on "Summer Blaster", but I guess it's too late. I don't think I did terrible, tho. (also, there is no actual looping in my song. I hope that's okay)
EDIT (again): Great. At the end, I started to rush. Welp. Looks like I'll have to wait and see. Hopefully I won't screw up when I do the VG music Contest.

You can withdraw your entry and resubmit it later you know...

EDIT:
I listened to it by the way, the chords in tracks 7 and 8 are very dissonant and the instruments you chose don't work well as a bassline. I'd consider reworking those tracks.

Jun 28, 2016 at 12:42 AM
Beakface
BTW I'm interested.
I quite like it. While I agree that tracks 7 and 8 may need to be reworked, I'd say that their instrument choice works well for their solo bit. Maybe with a lower volume and some varied enveloping and panning, they could work. It would be a good contrast from the higher tracks. Also, I think there could be a little more variation in the percussion in some parts (particularly after bar 16) But overall, I do like the swing vibe.

Jun 28, 2016 at 11:40 PM
2dbro
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Last edited:
Jun 29, 2016 at 2:01 AM
Beakface
Jun 29, 2016 at 2:18 AM
Jun 29, 2016 at 5:48 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Here's my submission for the first contest: Lava Reef. It's a transcription of Lava Reef Zone, Act 1 from Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Jun 29, 2016 at 6:40 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Here's my submission for the first contest: Lava Reef. It's a transcription of Lava Reef Zone, Act 1 from Sonic 3 & Knuckles.
Hey, this org is really good! I especially love the echoing effect that you got by having tracks 5 and 6 overlap like that. This brings me back to the old days.

Jun 29, 2016 at 9:57 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
So I didn't even notice this until 3 days til the due date, so I whipped up an entry for the first contest real quick. It was rushed, probably not very good but meh.

Yoshi Star Galaxy