Sue's Workshop - New version in Development!

Nov 9, 2011 at 4:47 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Really?
I want one that converts brainwaves into fully formed levels.

Nov 9, 2011 at 2:31 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Lace said:
Really?
I want one that converts brainwaves into fully formed levels.

Currenly existing editors already do that.

Nov 9, 2011 at 10:37 PM
:0 :0 :0 :0

I meant without having to convert brainwaves to hand motions first, silly.

Nov 11, 2011 at 4:06 PM
inactive user
"All your forum are belong to us!"
You mentioned being able to edit the main menu. What would that entail?

Extra buttons?
Changing the postions?
Adding a background?

Nov 11, 2011 at 4:53 PM
Hoxtilicious
What do you mean sixty?

Nov 12, 2011 at 10:27 PM
inactive user
Dunc2403 said:
He means like; can we add functions to the main menu, can we change where the functions are, can we change the background of it?

Exactly. :)

Nov 13, 2011 at 11:58 AM
Hoxtilicious
Well, I already thought of adding "skins" and let the user edit skins but I think it's way too early to add this now. Perhaps in the future.
Also, why would you want to add functions to the main menu, can you give me some examples?

Nov 13, 2011 at 3:17 PM
inactive user
S. P. Gardebiter said:
Well, I already thought of adding "skins" and let the user edit skins but I think it's way too early to add this now. Perhaps in the future.
Also, why would you want to add functions to the main menu, can you give me some examples?
Code:
>New Game (Easy)
New Game (Hard)
New Game (Dev Commentary)
Continue

Code:
>Play
Options

I didn't really want to add functions, though. My focus was more on changing the appearance, like in WTF Story or TotB.

Nov 13, 2011 at 4:21 PM
ToTB?
I believe it was changed far more heavily in KS&S

Nov 13, 2011 at 7:58 PM
Hoxtilicious
You will be able to edit the title screen in the future, yes.
But I'm not sure about changing the menu functions without using assembly since this wouldn't be easy to program.

Nov 16, 2011 at 6:57 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Please include the option to undo all edits (I messed up one of my Cave Story files pretty badly....)

Nov 16, 2011 at 10:48 AM
Little Bitch in Sheep Clothing
"..."
Back-up to the rescue.

Nov 17, 2011 at 1:57 AM
Hoxtilicious
The new SW will work with project files instead of editing the exe directly, so don't worry about messing up your files.

Nov 17, 2011 at 4:34 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
How does a "project" file work exactly?
Do you have to upload it with the mod? Is it like a self-patching thing the end-user installs on a default copy of Cave Story? Does the modder have to choose to commit changes to the mod before uploading it? Will people not understand how it works and upload unusable or redundant stuff?

Nov 17, 2011 at 4:37 AM
I believe (from previous things Garde has said) that a project file is sorta like a source file. You need it to modify the mod, so you only give it out if you want people to be able to change your mod. The new SW will do whatever with the project file when it's time to have an actual exe, and you can give that to people and it'll work like normal mods.

I hope some of that is correct.

Nov 17, 2011 at 4:02 PM
Hoxtilicious
Yeah, what Lace said is correct.

Nov 27, 2011 at 9:23 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Will this new version of SW support editing with 2xres graphics? I know CE kinda derps hardcore if you try editing anything with double res graphics.

Nov 27, 2011 at 9:32 PM
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
BoringToaster said:
Will this new version of SW support editing with 2xres graphics? I know CE kinda derps hardcore if you try editing anything with double res graphics.

I agree with this. I suggest a checkbox for whether you are using double-res graphics, perhaps in an external settings program, like DoConfig.

Dec 13, 2011 at 9:30 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I have a request.

Sue's Workshop will expand the exe under certain circumstances. This is HORRIBLY broken and needs to be FIXED! :/ First, SW detects this by checking the exe's header. If a fifth block exists, it assumes it to be the one it creates to expand into. Even if the block's name doesn't match the one it creates (".swdata"). Second, SW scraps the end of the exe COMPLETELY and overwrites it with its own data. Totally ignoring any kind of info it writes in the block's header such as size.

It'd be great if this part could be coded properly... The issue isn't so much that there's a bug or something like that as it is this part being done VERY sloppily. Reading the PE header and looking for one called ".swdata" rather than counting them, and using it to get the size of the block and overwriting said block rather than indiscriminately scrapping everything (including additional user-created blocks) would fix this.

In my current project, several entities are coded from scratch. This often means I have way too much extra code to pack into the space made available by the entities already in the game. So I've expanded the exe to include a 64k block of free space at the end. Sue's Workshop rapes this block and stupidly assumes the block belongs to it (no check made to see if it's called ".swdata"). I can create my block after SW's block and it leaves it alone, but it still ends up scrapping the end of the exe (including all my data) because it doesn't even bother to use the information written in the block it creates itself. Very frustrating - I have to make a lot of my changes manually while working on a throwaway copy...

Nice work so far. Lookin' forward to a demo of some kind! :pignon2:

Edit: Alternatively, if the project is no longer being worked on, can you make the source code available so someone who can work on it can correct this? It'd be really helpful. :D (Here, have a 2-save-slot version of CS in exchange. http://www.2shared.com/file/1yylsuBe/Cave_Story_2_Slots.html )