Sue's Workshop buggy editor

May 20, 2006 at 10:36 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
yeah i think is done on purpose to kill the player, but if he has the air bubble he won't die but just sinks down.....

Is this the right sequence to creating a custom-made map?

Create a new map in Sue's Workshop
Exit Sue's Workshop
Load up hex editor to add Pixel code at the end of the blank map files (NOT TSC)
Exit the hex editor
Load Sue's Workshop up again - select the new blank map at bottom of the list
Start building the map tiles
Insert some NPC's
Commit Final Changes to map
then Run/Test the Map

I hope that is the correct sequence to go about to make sure that I can use the spritesets (that do work), because if I forget to exit sue's workshop with the blank map file still loaded up in it while at the same time loading up the same file into a hex editor to put in the Pixel code, when exiting the hex editor and then building the map, then commit the final changes, upon testing the map, I find every single spirite set is all screwed up and nothing can be used.

So I need to know if I got the sequence, the steps in the right places to avoid messing up all my sprites and ruining a map.

Jun 3, 2006 at 3:22 PM
"Huzzah!"
you don't need to add (C)Pixil to maps made in sue's workshop it does it for you, you might need to add (C)Pixil to .pbm images you edit though

you should also test the map as your building it

Jun 3, 2006 at 9:13 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
What version of the editor are you using? I'm using ver 0.2 and that version does not add the code in for me when I make a custom map in Sue's Workshop, I have to add it in manually myself using a hex editor before I can test a new map that is created in Sue's Workshop.

Jun 3, 2006 at 11:30 PM
"Huzzah!"
what are you talking about you have version 0.2 there are no different versions of sue's workshop that I know of & where does it say what version it is?

Jun 4, 2006 at 2:48 AM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
There is a ver.0.1 too look at the help, in the readme!

Jun 4, 2006 at 3:23 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
The editor dosen't insert the codes in custom-made maps, we have to do it manually ourselves at the moment. As for the version, Just go into HELP and click on ABOUT to see version number. It is there.

Jun 4, 2006 at 1:10 PM
"Huzzah!"
well i'm using the same version as you and i've never had to insert (C)Pixil to get newly made maps to work you just make them assign them a tileset & backround and they work

I started to make new maps before I even had a hex editor & they worked fine!

ask anyone else on this forum & the'll tell you that I'm right

Jun 5, 2006 at 1:39 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I've just created a new blank map and assigned the spriteset, tileset, made some stuff and then pressed the blue save disk icon to save the map, and then exited the editor and I opened the map file up in a hex editor to see if the pixel code is saved there and found that the code is not even been saved. So it dosen't work.

It might work on your machine, but the editor dosen't work properly on mine, it's saving maps, but it is not saving the code in the maps and that's why in order to get a map to even run to test it, I had to manually insert the code myself in the blank map file before I made anything else. And what's more, with the background JPG's, TINY dots also appear in place of the pixel code. It beomes part of the JPG display.

Jun 5, 2006 at 7:12 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Well, did you pressed the Save Script button in the script editor?

Looks like you don't.

Jun 6, 2006 at 12:12 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
"Well, did you pressed the Save Script button in the script editor?"

Yes I did, no change, no code is saved by the editor when saving both the map and also the scipt...

"Looks like you don't."

Don't assume anything until I've answered

Jun 6, 2006 at 1:53 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Have you looked at the map files from the original game in your hex editor?

Jun 6, 2006 at 4:36 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I think I know what is going on here and why I'm getting different answers.

Sorry, but I still don't see how you can run a custom map all on its own in the editor without any manipulation and just by saving it alone with Sue and then hey presto it runs in the game... What I DO believe however is that if you want a custom map to run in the game without using a hex editor, then you have to copy an original game file into the actual custom file that Sue creates and then just load up the custom map with the copied game map and del the map and then build over it with your own custom settings.

Jun 6, 2006 at 6:29 AM
Just to be absolutely certain, I made a copy of my original game directory. I ran Sue's Workshop on it, created a new map, made a small room, set the game starting location inside it, gave it a standard opening event, and ran the game from Sue's Workshop. The new map loaded and ran fine with no problems.

Technika, you either have no idea what you're talking about, or you are a very special case and there is some very strange incompatibility between the editor and your specific computer.

You never ever need to use a hex editor on anything but your graphics files (.pbm), npc.tbl, or your profile.dat save file.

Jun 6, 2006 at 6:56 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Can you actually just run a custom map and test it straight real time in the game engine (without having to configure the script manually to test the map through the TRA command? If you can, then I would like to know how that's done. For I only know how to make the game load in a map from a doorway inside the script. Not real-time testing from inside the game engine upon booting up of the game..

What do you mean by standard opening event?

Well I can't understand why I save both map and script, and no game code shows up and all the game gives me is just the same old #@$@$@ japanese error. And keeps on crashing unless I copy a game code from another map or insert it in manually myself, that's why I said the editor will not run any new custom maps from inside the editor because its not inserting the code into the file when it's saving the map, so I thought the editor dosen't support the feature or its a bug.

Jun 6, 2006 at 8:50 AM
What is this "game code" you're talking about?

Jun 6, 2006 at 7:37 PM
"Huzzah!"
the standard opening event is #009x
<MNA<CMUxxxx<FAIxxxx<END

all you do is make your map have another map <TRA you to that map running the event above <TRAmmmm:009x:xxxx:yyyy<END

m= the number of your map
x= horizontial coordinate you will appear at
y= vertical coordinate you will appear at

after you've done all this just hit the run button at the top menu bar in sue's workshop it will ask you if you want to save changes in maps &/or scripts say yes and go to your map in the game & it should work