Sturmfaust II (Need Artists)

Old topic!
The last post in this thread is over 60 days old. Posting in this thread will be considered a bump, so please make an attempt to be courteous if you go ahead with it.

If the last post is over 6 months old, it may instead be a better idea to start a new topic. If you aren't sure about what to do, feel free to ask a staff member for help, or try to locate a 'general questions'-type thread if it exists in this (sub-)forum.
Jan 25, 2010 at 4:25 AM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: Dec 30, 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 3218
Age: 29
Hello there.
I'm currently working on my long planned freeware game Sturmfaust II.
It will be a Jump & Run and Action game with elements from RPG and Horror.
I need some help with Graphic: Tilesets, Character Images, Character Facepics, Sprites etc.


Story:

Sturmfaust II is set in the 24th century. You awake in an underground complex with a huge headache. You still hear the noise of the sirens. When you try to stand up, you notice a shadow that lurks around you. Since you don't see very much, because the room is only lighted by the alarm lamp and the emergency light, you decide to leave it. Out there is the Control Room for that section of the complex, on the table lies a radio set and you hear a female voice coming out of it, who asks you nicely to pick up the radio set. This is where the game begins...

The underground complex is an advanced genetic research facility, which researches genetic technology in order to create illegal biowepaons. (Viruses, mutated creatures etc.)
They use humans for this research and let them mutate to get information about genetic engineering.

Characters:

Apart from the main character there aren't many characters. One character you meet pretty early in the game, is Pollux.

Concept art etc.:



She is a Spy of the german government, she will help you to escape the underground complex.

Her musicial theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UCFeP88MM

Enemies:

Enemey AI, look, Health, Damage etc. is made of DNA. The enemies can mutate within your progress of the game. That doesn't mean that the mutation will be good, the chances are higher it reproduces though if it is. Means you get different enemies everytime you play trough the game. You will be able to scan the enemies and analyse the DNA in order to write them down in your analysis book. If you start a new game the old progress won't be lost, so you can complete it the more you play the game.

Weapons:

There will be many weapons and probably a "weapon part combining system" (WPCS).

Gameplay:

The gameplay will be semi-linear, means you can explore different paths the next time you play it. The game will be very gory, you can tear an enemy to pieces. If you're good at the game, you will be able to only detach an arm for example. The enemies are made of skin, flesh, blood, bones and organs, so you can be creative. For example you could try to only shed their skin.

Music:

The music has the main task to reinforce the Gameplay and will (hopefully) contribute a big part to the atmosphere. My intention is to psychologically "alter" the player, so that the player will feel the right emotions at the right time.

Genres are: Electro, Synth Pop, Experimental, Aggrotech, Noise with big influences from the Industrial music and influences from Ambient music.

Some music is avaible here: http://www.youtube.com/user/SPGardebiter

Misc:

Note that the original game language will the german. But an english translation will be featured, it won't have the same quality as the original german dialog/text though. There might be also a free editor.
 
Jan 25, 2010 at 5:30 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: May 28, 2008
Location: PMMM MMO
Posts: 3712
Age: 28
Let me be the first to say that I am indeed sad that you took the idea of ripping off Resident Evil first D: . (I always wanted to make some sort of horror-platformer, and genetic/bio-weaponry just shouts Resident evil :o ).

The only things that ever kept me from it was:
-Trying to imagine a game in 2d. Good luck with making it a platformer.
-Gore and stuff sorta confines your target audience, but w.e
-I am far too lazy to look into building a game engine right now (or maybe I'm not)
-This, but I have an idea for a different platformer anyways since the other thing was going nowhere


Also I listened to some of the music you got, sounds pretty badass so far. Like REALLY bad ass. Good stuffs.

I could help you with tilesets, but I strongly recommend that you get yourself an artist for face pics or for the Character images, I won't be able to help you there. Maybe I could do a bit of the sprites too.


[EDIT]!!!! : Oh yeah I almost forgot to ask, what language are you programming this in?
Just curious.
 
Jan 25, 2010 at 5:37 AM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Join Date: Mar 1, 2009
Location:
Posts: 1587
Age: 25
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Let me be the first to say that I am indeed sad that you took the idea of ripping off Resident Evil first D: . (I always wanted to make some sort of horror-platformer, and genetic/bio-weaponry just shouts Resident evil :o ).
I just have one thing to say in response to you, GIR: 1213. (I know it's a disease and not a bio-weapon, but still.)


But SP, about the translation thing. I've seen a lot of games be translated from German to English and the majority of them were very good if not flawless. The problem with the bad ones often lies with the original German text being as boring, lazy, or corny as it in English. I mean, you guys basically murdered Old English and replaced it with German.
 
Jan 25, 2010 at 5:42 AM
Senior Member
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Join Date: Oct 22, 2007
Location: At the table you ate at as a child, drinking tea w
Posts: 242
Age: 26
Oh, so it's kinda like Dead Space except 2D? Well, just a couple parallels, but the "enemy evolving" system is very interesting.

I want to wait a little longer for more information before I get into a deep discussion about it, but if it's you, Shi, I'm certain something good will come of this.
 
Jan 25, 2010 at 5:47 AM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Join Date: Mar 1, 2009
Location:
Posts: 1587
Age: 25
I'm guessing some enemies will probably won't be walking corpses like the Necromorphs and you'll be able to just shoot them to death, but with certain mutations, of course, they will be able to survive without, say, a head, or the left side of their body.
 
Jan 25, 2010 at 6:36 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: Apr 19, 2009
Location:
Posts: 3788
Age: 14
Kageryushin said:
Oh, so it's kinda like Dead Space except 2D?
Someone needs to play more survival horror games. Dead Space is pretty much a clone of System Shock II, which makes Sturmfaust II a mix of SSII and Resident Evil, minus a dimension.

I don't have any skills to offer, but I am going to keep a close eye on this game's progress and will play it when it comes out. For now, I only have one question: can I play Sturmfaust I?
 
Jan 25, 2010 at 6:43 AM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Join Date: Mar 1, 2009
Location:
Posts: 1587
Age: 25
Fahrenheight said:
If I understand correctly, it basically goes from human enemies to things like that.
 
Jan 25, 2010 at 7:05 AM
Senior Member
"Huzzah!"
Join Date: Aug 6, 2009
Location: GMT + 8 ;)
Posts: 202
Age: 32
Ahhh

so something like this:


Became like this:


I understand now..

also

I try, I fail
 
Jan 25, 2010 at 6:15 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: Dec 30, 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 3218
Age: 29
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Let me be the first to say that I am indeed sad that you took the idea of ripping off Resident Evil first D: . (I always wanted to make some sort of horror-platformer, and genetic/bio-weaponry just shouts Resident evil :p ).
Nah it's not like Resident Evil, in fact I wasn't even a bit inspired by it :x The music wouldn't fit too for Resident Evil like Gameplay. :o
Actually it's more an action-platformer than a horror-platformer.

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Gore and stuff sorta confines your target audience, but w.e
Well, I could build in a gorefree mode.

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Also I listened to some of the music you got, sounds pretty badass so far. Like REALLY bad ass. Good stuffs.
Thanks :3

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
I could help you with tilesets, but I strongly recommend that you get yourself an artist for face pics or for the Character images, I won't be able to help you there. Maybe I could do a bit of the sprites too.
Helping with tilesets would be great and really appreciated. Of course you would be mentioned in the credits sections of the game and the ReadMe.

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Oh yeah I almost forgot to ask, what language are you programming this in?
Just curious.
GLBasic, a really powerful and well supoorted Basic dialect. (It costs money b.t.w.)

Fire1052 said:
I just have one thing to say in response to you, GIR: 1213. (I know it's a disease and not a bio-weapon, but still.)
Now, 1213 is totally different from Sturmfaust II.

Fire1052 said:
The problem with the bad ones often lies with the original German text being as boring, lazy, or corny as it in English. I mean, you guys basically murdered Old English and replaced it with German.
Actually english is made of Angelsächsisch which is a german dialect, French and some other minor influences.
Have no worries, I'm kinda good at writing dialoge in german. (And a fucking whole lot better than writing it in english.)

Kageryushin said:
Oh, so it's kinda like Dead Space except 2D? Well, just a couple parallels, but the "enemy evolving" system is very interesting.
Captain Fabulous said:
Someone needs to play more survival horror games. Dead Space is pretty much a clone of System Shock II, which makes Sturmfaust II a mix of SSII and Resident Evil, minus a dimension.
It's not like "any game". But I have my influences: Silent Hill, Bioshock, Cave Story, Iji and Touhou.

Captain Fabulous said:
For now, I only have one question: can I play Sturmfaust I?
There is no Sturmfaust I :) But maybe I will make a prequel called Sturmfaust I.

Fire1052 said:
If I understand correctly, it basically goes from human enemies to things like that.
Less human enemies, more things like that. There probably won't be "Zombies", but maybe humanoid mutations. When you escape your prison cell, the mutations have already escaped and evolved a bit, so you probably won't see too much humans.

Fahrenheight said:
also

I try, I fail
Oh good, she's looking so cute :3 You didn't fail, actually it's quite awesome, just some "parts" of it need to be a bit reworked :)
I think it's maybe a bit too chibi for Sturmfaust II though.
I like your "enemy art" too.
 
Jan 25, 2010 at 7:16 PM
Senior Member
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Join Date: Oct 22, 2007
Location: At the table you ate at as a child, drinking tea w
Posts: 242
Age: 26
Fahrenheight said:
Ahhh

so something like this:
That sprite is cool. Like something out of Yume Nikki.

Fahrenheight said:
Became like this:
Except without Hinamizawa Syndrome Rika suddenly appearing for less than a second, I suppose.

Captain Fabulous said:
Someone needs to play more survival horror games. Dead Space is pretty much a clone of System Shock II, which makes Sturmfaust II a mix of SSII and Resident Evil, minus a dimension.
Captain Fabulous said:
Dead Space is pretty much a clone of System Shock II
Captain Fabulous said:
Totally uneducated generalization I heard from some other fag used in a futile attempt to provoke the great Kage.
Oh you, Fabulous. As if you'd know anything about survival horror. Haha, I bet you can't even beat Siren, can you?

S. P. Gardebiter said:
Enemies, more things like that. There probably won't be "Zombies", but maybe humanoid mutations. When you escape your prison cell, the mutations have already escaped and evolved a bit, so you probably won't see too much humans.
That reminds me of an interesting question. Are the mutations completely randomized, or do they evolve to suit your actions?
 
Jan 25, 2010 at 7:49 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: Apr 19, 2009
Location:
Posts: 3788
Age: 14
I'm going to assume Siren is from Resident Evil, which I haven't played, but I own Dead Space and System Shock II. Take out your pent-up passive-aggressive rage on someone else, I'm sure you wouldn't want to derail Gardebiter's thread so early.

AN. Y. WAY. I've never played a scary two-dimensional game before, so it'll be an interesting experience for me. I like the samples of your sprites and music, S.P. This game is going to look great.
 
Jan 25, 2010 at 8:01 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: May 28, 2008
Location: PMMM MMO
Posts: 3712
Age: 28
Captain Fabulous said:
I'm going to assume Siren is from Resident Evil, which I haven't played, but I own Dead Space and System Shock II. Take out your pent-up passive-aggressive rage on someone else, I'm sure you wouldn't want to derail Gardebiter's thread so early.

AN. Y. WAY. I've never played a scary two-dimensional game before, so it'll be an interesting experience for me. I like the samples of your sprites and music, S.P. This game is going to look great.
Actually, from a quick google search, siren is a ps2 game that involves a lot of trial-and-error. But I haven't played it, so I can't say much.

And yea I too am interested to see how a 2d survival horror game would work, although the prerendered backgrounds and other graphics in the original resident evil were bad enough that I don't think graphics would be an issue. I'd just try to use a good resolution if I were you SP, like definitely more than 320x240.

Oh and what's really fun is trying to play through resident evil 2 without a memory card on your first run (trying over and over). Memory cards were a new thing back in the day :o .
 
Jan 25, 2010 at 8:15 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: Dec 30, 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 3218
Age: 29
Note that this is Sturmfaust II, not Resident Evil, like I said: It will not be like Resident Evil. The Survivial Horror influences come more from Silent Hill and Bioshock actually.
 
Jan 25, 2010 at 8:21 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: May 28, 2008
Location: PMMM MMO
Posts: 3712
Age: 28
S. P. Gardebiter said:
Note that this is Sturmfaust II, not Resident Evil, like I said: It will not be like Resident Evil. The Survivial Horror influences come more from Silent Hill and Bioshock actually.
So what resolution will it have?

I remember playing silent hill a bit too, but I don't remember much about it. Will Sturmfaust II make use of lighting effects like Silent hill?
 
Jan 25, 2010 at 8:28 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: Dec 30, 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 3218
Age: 29
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
So what resolution will it have?
512x384. It will be stretched to 1024x768 in Fullscreen or double windowed though.
If the character sprites, ingame sprites etc. are too big though, I might switch to 640x480 or 800x600, but I doubt that.

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
I remember playing silent hill a bit too, but I don't remember much about it. Will Sturmfaust II make use of lighting effects like Silent hill?
I'm not sure yet, maybe it will.
 
Jan 25, 2010 at 9:24 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: Aug 28, 2009
Location: The Purple Zone
Posts: 6000
S. P. Gardebiter said:
512x384. It will be stretched to 1024x768 in Fullscreen or double windowed though.
If the character sprites, ingame sprites etc. are too big though, I might switch to 640x480 or 800x600, but I doubt that.
512x384 seems like an unorthodox number, why that?
 
Jan 25, 2010 at 9:26 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: Dec 30, 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 3218
Age: 29
Noxid said:
512x384 seems like an unorthodox number, why that?
I wonder why members always question everything. D:
Because 512x384 is a nice resolution for me to work with, it's not too small and not too big. And you can resize it easily to 1024x768.
 
Jan 25, 2010 at 11:59 PM
Senior Member
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Join Date: Oct 22, 2007
Location: At the table you ate at as a child, drinking tea w
Posts: 242
Age: 26
Captain Fabulous said:
I'm going to assume Siren is from Resident Evil, which I haven't played, but I own Dead Space and System Shock II. Take out your pent-up passive-aggressive rage on someone else, I'm sure you wouldn't want to derail Gardebiter's thread so early.
Oh? Weren't you the one just chastising me for not knowing much about survival horror, when Siren is one of the cornerstones of the genre? Oh, the hypocrisy of it all, Fabulous. Please, chum, take your own passive-aggressive words and eat them, as a dog would eat its own vomit.

S. P. Gardebiter said:
I wonder why members always question everything. D:
You just seemed like you wanted to be questioned about it, and since we held interest in the game we decided to pry a little. I guess we assumed it was one of those situations where you only gave an outline of the game and then expected us to ask you about finer details that you didn't mention for whatever reason. In other words, we like your idea and are waiting in earnest to see where you go with it.
 
Jan 26, 2010 at 12:04 AM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: Dec 30, 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 3218
Age: 29
Kageryushin said:
You just seemed like you wanted to be questioned about it, and since we held interest in the game we decided to pry a little. I guess we assumed it was one of those situations where you only gave an outline of the game and then expected us to ask you about finer details that you didn't mention for whatever reason. In other words, we like your idea and are waiting in earnest to see where you go with it.
But the technicial details are really boring, the story should be much more interesting along with the atmosphere :3
Don't expect much until I found someone who is willing to help with the graphic though and is already contributing something.
 
Top