Story Changed (0.1 demo now available)

Nov 19, 2013 at 4:21 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Oh hey, I'm finally making a mod! Apparently it's called Mod Story Story Changed.

Originally, this was gonna be my template for modding research but it became more like it can be a full-on mod. So I took the challenge in doing so.

So in Mod Story Story Changed, Quote woke up in Start Point ready for his adventure as usual, but then he found some weird stuff going on and he finds out that the game has been modded. So he thought of going on to kill the person who's modding the game (and I volunteer myself to be that person). But afterwards, he finds out that the mod has been finished before the fight even began. So Quote must proceed through the mod and finish what the person has started.

So I'm trying out this theme that goes in 5 stages that progress throughout the game:

1. Simplistic tile, sprite, and dialouge modding
2. Usage of graphics from other games and some basic event modding
3. Crappy original graphics and crappy music
4. Better original graphics and better music and some custom event modding
5. 4th stage + awesome music arrangements advanced event modding (may the force be with me on this one)

These reflect on how some mods that I played were made.

Welp, I talked too much. Have some screenshots for now. I'm not promising anything, but I plan to release a demo before November ends.

Enjoy!! :)

Screenshots:
p175737-0-jwkasps.png

p175737-1-2unntbw.png

p175737-2-uqnbdk1.png

p175737-3-bf0xflk.png

Edit (11/26/2013): The mod has now been renamed to Story Changed. It still sounds cheesy but the story DOES change in the beginning from Cave Story to something new.

Edit (01/06/2014): The first demo is now available! Story Changed 0.1 demo

Nov 19, 2013 at 4:22 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
isn't there already something called mod story?

Nov 19, 2013 at 4:23 AM
War criminal
I think I know of another mod being called that. Mod Story is the current name for my mod right now. I'll think of a different one soon.

Nov 19, 2013 at 5:54 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Most people who give something a temporary title often stick with that temporary title and never venture from it. You'd best come up with one really soon.

Also, where's the link King's lines are...uh... *sighs*

I like the look of that screenshot below the King one, though.

Nov 19, 2013 at 6:01 AM
War criminal
Yeah, I should change what King and Toroko were talking in what I put in for their current dialouge from the "other key" to a different topic.

Nov 23, 2013 at 3:48 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
In the 3rd screenshoot, the little en enemies remind me of something, I can t say what...

Nov 23, 2013 at 5:18 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Quote hell master said:
In the 3rd screenshoot, the little en enemies remind me of something, I can t say what...
Shy guys from Super Mario?

Jan 6, 2014 at 11:42 PM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I find it strange I've been anticipating this so much, but now that I've played it, I can safely say I really, really like the way this mod is going.
The comedy is well-timed, the new tile sets are really...strange, and the dialogue is pretty cringeworthy, but in a good way.
One thing I noticed was when you speak to king the second time, he says his normal line, and I'm not sure that's supposed to happen.
Either way, looking forward to more.

Jan 7, 2014 at 1:33 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
metalsonic71 said:
This mod needs some drastic changes, I like the screenshots, however the demo itself is REALLY disappointing.
You're being extremely vague. Can you be specific with what you don't like about it? If not, he's never going to understand what he did wrong (if anything).

Jan 7, 2014 at 4:08 AM
War criminal
Stuff I believe what went wrong for the players (yes):

The Spur
It IS intentional to get the weapon, but now that I see it, I should probably save that for later.

"Lack of changes":
The beginning was meant to look like hardly nothing happened, and later on, the game and storyline will look much different than it was perceived early on. In fact, the stuff that was gonna make it different starts off with after Infringement Cave.

Marco
Call me that if you want.

Robot Deathtrap
That was intentional.

Water Closet
That was originally gonna be a debug room, but screw it, now it's the public restroom.

High HP
Again, that was intentional. Try beating Marco with 6 HP, and after you recharge, try beating Infringement Cave with 6-15 HP.

That's pretty much all I can think of.

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:26 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
i actually liked this mod, especially the custom music
also... that jumping sound sounds awfully familiar... very...
also i liked the modding studio (and after) parts, clever.
also, whats a Cockney accent?
also, so many alsos its alsoception.

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:31 PM
War criminal
Kayya said:
also, whats a Cockney accent?
It's that thick accent some British people have.

Jan 11, 2014 at 8:06 PM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
I like what you have so far. It was a little easy, but its still very promising and I look forward to see more of it

Jan 26, 2014 at 6:15 AM
War criminal
Production on 0.2 has started so here's a screenshot of a bonus room (similar to those from WTF Story). However, I feel the whole room design should be refurbished. It's actually a bit too brutal (the deathtraps show the explanation pretty good).

p175753-0-hshgrhj.png

Edit (02/16/2014: Forget the WTF Story difficulties. They'll just be like those from SMB3, SMW, or in the NSMB series.