Still don't get it.

Jul 1, 2007 at 4:01 AM
Guy with Sword
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I still don't get Mimigas.

It never really explains them in cave story. I started to think they were some strange species only on the island, but Sue came from the surface...

My guess is they're just indigenous to the game, like all those weird talking animals to Dragonball Z. I wanna know if I just missed something.

Jul 1, 2007 at 4:08 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Well, Itoh said he was magically turned into one by Misery and it's assumed that the same thing happened to Sue (probably so that they could be affected by the flowers as well). Also the reason only Itoh and Sue were turned into Mimigas was that everyone else was hiding and weren't caught (Sue is headstrong and Itoh's a coward). So yeah, hope that didn't confuse more than clear things up. :p

Jul 1, 2007 at 4:24 AM
Guy with Sword
That explains Sue and Itoh, but what about the actual Mimigas?
Really, besides being rabbit things, they're really not explained.

Jul 1, 2007 at 4:53 AM
"Huzzah!"
During the end credits you can see Sue and Itoh (sort of) change human again, so yeah, that supports that theory well. :p

What I find more odd than Mimigas, though, are characters like Dr. Gero, Nurse Hasumi, Pooh Black, and all those others which are obviously neither human nor Mimiga. Now where'd they come from? :D

Jul 1, 2007 at 5:04 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Atravir said:
That explains Sue and Itoh, but what about the actual Mimigas?
Really, besides being rabbit things, they're really not explained.
Well, no it's not explained. My guess is that the island is pretty much like our earth with a bunch of creatures that nobody can tell for certain where they came from. After all, it's said that the humans "discovered" the Mimigas so obviously not much is known about them. I think the real reason is that it would be way out of character for any Mimiga or human to just tell you the origins of the Mimigas. It would detract from the whole mystery/discovery feeling of the game (at least the first part of it).

Jul 1, 2007 at 5:42 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
or its where the easter bunny is chosen :p

Jul 1, 2007 at 6:23 AM
Guy with Sword
Xaser said:
What I find more odd than Mimigas, though, are characters like Dr. Gero, Nurse Hasumi, Pooh Black, and all those others which are obviously neither human nor Mimiga. Now where'd they come from? :p

they are probably robots, like Quote.

Wait, if Mimigas are only on the island, then when the island crashes, it wipes out the entire race. Wow, that sucks.

Jul 1, 2007 at 6:47 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
Atravir said:

Wait, if Mimigas are only on the island, then when the island crashes, it wipes out the entire race. Wow, that sucks.

thats what happened to the dinosaurs cept the meteor hit them :p

Jul 1, 2007 at 6:55 AM
Guy with Sword
Hmm...

Someone should make cave story into a movie.

Yes, that came out of nowhere. Darn you ADHD!

Jul 1, 2007 at 7:22 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
As for interpetations of the story, and the creatures you find in Cave Story...
It's up to the player to imagine that :p

I'm working on my mod/interpetation... and I'm trying to figure out all of these details too. I used to think the strange creatures only existed on the Island, but I wouldn't be so sure about that.
I'm currently doing research by watching and playing japanese robot related anime, visual novels and games...
I have a much better vision of Cave Story's world, than I used to... It's more than another futuristic Modern world or Star Wars world... I like it, it's fresh! [not too cute, not too modern, not typical, a real nice balance of different] :D

or its where the easter bunny is chosen :D
!!! ..... remind me not to leave red flowers lying around during easter...

Jul 1, 2007 at 7:50 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
X-Calibar said:
!!! ..... remind me not to leave red flowers lying around during easter...

lol sure :p

Jul 1, 2007 at 11:01 AM
Hoxtilicious
Xaser said:
During the end credits you can see Sue and Itoh (sort of) change human again, so yeah, that supports that theory well. :p

What I find more odd than Mimigas, though, are characters like Dr. Gero, Nurse Hasumi, Pooh Black, and all those others which are obviously neither human nor Mimiga. Now where'd they come from? :D

Frogs! And Pooh Black seems to be a ghost...

Jul 1, 2007 at 3:50 PM
Been here way too long...
"..."
Atravir said:

Who said the island was destroyed? It could've just fallen to the ground and gotten a big shake, or it could've fallen into a lake and become a real island.

As for Mimigas, they're just there. Just as much as the Gaudis are there and that Balrog EVEN EXISTS.

Jul 1, 2007 at 7:41 PM
Guy with Sword
I doubt anyone would try to end a good game with killing an entire race of cute little animals. So yeah, they're probably not just on the island.

Also a note, we know the island's been thee for at least ten years (how long Quote was there), and probably longer. There's a pretty good chance that even if they did start out only on the island, some of them went down to the surface.

Crap, now I'm confusing myself.

Jul 1, 2007 at 7:48 PM
Guy with Sword
Osmose said:
Who said the island was destroyed? It could've just fallen to the ground and gotten a big shake, or it could've fallen into a lake and become a real island.

Because, the point of the game was to stop the Doctor. That's why Quote destroys the core, to destroy the island and stop all Hell from breaking loose. Not the best plan, I might add.

Jul 1, 2007 at 8:25 PM
Indie game enthusiast
Because, the point of the game was to stop the Doctor. That's why Quote destroys the core, to destroy the island and stop all Hell from breaking loose. Not the best plan, I might add.
It really depends on what you think Quote was thinking since he doesn't ever talk..! I don't think Curly and Quote fully realized the implications of crashing the island. But, also Kazuma says destroying the core is the only way to bring the Mimiga's out of the frenzy... The first time they fought the core, you really didn't have any choice, you kind of stumble upon it, and it's fight or die..! I don't think Curly was looking for the Core either. It was just something bad!!
And the undead core was well corrupted by the Doctor, so there really wasn't a choice to just leave the island, leaving the core intact. If Quote wanted to survive he had to either kill the Core to save everyone and himself, or he could jump off the island or go with Kazuma...

If want to look through a bunch of old speculation...
http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/152/
http://www.cavestory.org/forums/posts/3197/
Here are two pretty long threads that I know about...
And here are the straight facts :
http://www.cavestory.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7

I've since actually written the entire story on paper and noticed a few things that I haven't heard mentioned, or that I feel I was wrong about. But, still most of this old information should be interesting if you want to look ;)

Jul 1, 2007 at 8:40 PM
Guy with Sword
Even if the island crashing was a side effect of killing the core, that still leaves a crashed island. Really, for the Mimigas, it would be like trying to survive jumping off a sky scraper.

The point is, Pixel isn't going to kill off all of the Mimigas. That means that there should be Mimigas on Earth itself. Although that doesn't make much since, because it said they discovered the Mimigas on the island.

Arg.
*Beats head against table.

Jul 1, 2007 at 8:52 PM
Guy with Sword
In my boredom, I played though the ending of Cave story again.

I didn't notice before, but after you kill the core, there are no Mimigas anywhere. They all just disappear.

Hmm, so maybe they don't all crash and die.

Jul 1, 2007 at 8:56 PM
Indie game enthusiast
Well if it's any consolation if you're stuck on they all die ;) In the good ending, we know for a fact Chaco and Santa survive... since it shows them in the copter in the ending, and in the transformation scene.
Soon there will be Mimigas of all colors!

And I'm curious... You do know there's a Best ending besides the just Good ending don't you?

EDIT: Also, you notice that all the Mimigas are gone when you go to fight the Doctor right? Just a few standing guard before the Throne Room... That means they already have begun their attack on the surface. Meaning most of them were probably already on the ground.
After the Core is destroyed they should have turned back to normal if Kazuma is right. So most of them should survive...
EDITEDIT: Plus, the ending does show pictures of Jenka still in the Sand Zone, and Balrog helping out at the Clinic... The Island may have fallen, but it should be fine, probably due to magic! I mean the falling scene didn't show the island falling apart, and it sure seemed to fall slowly...
EDIT: Well at the very least we know that some of its inhabitants survive... by the ending, if the island is destroyed...

Hmm... let me think of the implications of how the island falling would be bad...

*SPOILER* highlight to reveal
If the island falls, perhaps Ballos is released from his imprisonment; or perhaps the effects Ballos has will begin to spread across the land, like a bad seed. Over time it could really become a serious problem even if Ballos is still imprisoned..!
Also, yes; I sure would imagine that the island should be majorly damaged. From the tragic looking end scenes showing the pictures of the places you visit as it shakes to pieces...

Jul 1, 2007 at 8:57 PM
Guy with Sword
Yeah. I can't get through hell though.
Quick, to AOL videos!