[SPOILERS] why the normal ending isnt [well, you know]

May 18, 2020 at 11:47 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
hey i would like to start by saying that this is my first post and that this post contains lotsa spoilers so read at your own risk

so the normal ending isnt bad cuz although u let the island fall, and u get that one dramatic cutscene with the cool music, no one died there (some people might have but i dont rly know) cuz in the credits, in one part you can see a hospital with those people from the labyrinth with dr gero and toaster man giving them treatment. so i think its safe to believe that they just live on the surface now. so yeah.

thanks for coming to my ted talk

May 18, 2020 at 11:57 AM
"Huzzah!"
I feel like this is a troll, a question: "well, you know" actually believe it or not I don't so it would be good to actually elaborate.

Last edited:
May 18, 2020 at 12:57 PM
"Huzzah!"
i figure those areas we see in the credits might've just been structurally sound/lucky enough to survive the impact (labyrinth's at the heart of the island, jenka might've been able to protect her house with Magic™, i think the power room with malco and the malcettes shows up too, that might've survived due to... idk, grass roots holding the area together, etc etc), so like... some bits survive, some probably don't, and the demon crown'll return eventually because ballos isn't dead, but hey, everything's cool for now!

edit: also you don't need to censor spoilers on here either, especially for the normal ending

May 18, 2020 at 2:53 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
If you mean that not everybody dies, then yeah. It's far from the happiest ending, and it makes sense to think that everyone died, but clearly some people survive. We don't see any mimigas from the island, but there could easily be a few more with Santa and Chaco on the Sakamotos' helicopter, though it'd be a tight squeeze. But yes, with the credits scenes, lots of islanders survive. People seem to forget that all the time.

May 18, 2020 at 4:29 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
It's almost as if it was just the first and second endings that have only been planned. Hmmmmmmmm...

Edit: Not to mention how fucking slow the island can fall, thanks to the Sacred Grounds and the Nikumaru Counter!

Last edited:
May 18, 2020 at 11:27 PM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I personally treat the normal ending as the canonical ending, and if there were to be a Cave Story sequel it would make more sense to build off of that and have the player returning to the island years later to defeat Ballos, who has only gotten stronger.

May 18, 2020 at 11:54 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Yep, the fall of the island was fairly survivable, a considerable number of structures and areas remained intact, and a considerable number of character survived. That was the general consensus last time this was discussed.

I personally treat the normal ending as the canonical ending, and if there were to be a Cave Story sequel it would make more sense to build off of that and have the player returning to the island years later to defeat Ballos, who has only gotten stronger.
I spent many years in high school dreaming of making an epic mod that would be that kind of sequel, then throughout most of college I thought instead about making this vision into a machinima, and then near the end of college I lost interest in even writing a script for it.

May 19, 2020 at 12:12 AM
"Huzzah!"
well I guess Curly is dead
I personally didn't have a problem with the Best ending and how to get it, but I can see why it would make much more sense for the Normal Ending to be cannon. Also I guess that's why its the Normal Ending because it would be normal to get it and have it be cannon.

May 19, 2020 at 12:30 AM
"Huzzah!"
tbf curly doesn't *have* to be dead in the normal ending, you can get all the requirements for the best one and just... not go to hell

May 19, 2020 at 1:08 AM
"Huzzah!"
so she died in hell instead of in water. nice.