Speedrunning

Jun 13, 2016 at 3:22 AM
Forever 12
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Does anybody here like to speedrun, and if so, what game?

I've recently been doing speed runs of Sonic Adventure DX, and got a new Personal best time of 49:23. I also do Super Mario World runs, mainly 11-exit, though I have been experimenting with other categories.

Jun 13, 2016 at 6:08 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I've been hanging around SDA almost as long as here and watch speedruns fairly regularly. Back in the day I planned a few segmented runs and started recording a Pokemon Silver one but it ended up too outdated to bother finishing. For now I'd like to get into streamrunning at some point, provided I can deal with slow internet/other issues. I doubt I'll try to record anything again that can't be run on PC.

Jun 13, 2016 at 11:19 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I've currently got the WR for Hyper Light Drifter in the "New Game Plus/Current Patch" category http://www.speedrun.com/hld#New_Game_Plus
It's a risky category to run because you only have 2 hp, and some of the skips are hard/unreliable (looking at you, 2nd frog skip)

Right now everyone is playing NG+ on the 5/18 patch though, since a super game-breaking bug was discovered on that patch that lets you clip through so many walls (pretty much any right wall). Kinda ruins the point of the run though IMO.

Jun 13, 2016 at 1:22 PM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
I occasionally speedrun the Wind Fortress. My time is 1 minute and 47 seconds I believe.

Jun 13, 2016 at 2:46 PM
The Preacher
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I am very interested in speedruns, but especially tool-assisted speedruns. I watch a lot of them, although mostly the popular ones. The most broken the better.

I know some beginner techniques for Super Mario 64 speedrunning, and basically everything there is to know about SM64 TASes.
I also know a few advanced tricks for Ocarina of Time speedrunning, although I can't really put them in practice (do you know just how many frame-perfect tricks there are in the average OoT speedrun?).

Most of all, I studied the mechanics that make it interesting for a game to be speedrun or TASed, and I have been researching game design for games specifically made for speedrunning. Sounds pompous when I put it like that, but really, it's simply about how to reward people for trying to speedrun the game and how to make the experience as enjoyable as possible.

I'm not a speedrunner myself, though I'd like to be. There is too much work involved though, and I don't have the mental or physical capacities to output this much concentration, dedication and reflexes into something. Same reason why I'm not a pro competitive player.

Jun 13, 2016 at 5:08 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I haven't really tried to speedrun too many games, though I did try to get a good time in Sacred Ground. Ended up getting 3'59"2 before I stopped.

Jun 14, 2016 at 11:57 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
The only time I speedrun anything is when I'm playing a game that requires it or has a Boss Rush mode, like CS+ and Kero Blaster.

Jun 15, 2016 at 3:14 AM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I once did a speed run of Megaman Battle Network 4 Redsun in 192:20, the end game is always a pain. I've tried a speed run of the sacred grounds, but the best I can do is 3"45'3.