Soundfont And Legal Question

Aug 31, 2011 at 3:41 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I'm making an RPG, and want to have a distinctive retro feel for the music. I tested some NES and Commodore 64 vst's, but they just didn't feel right. Then I remembered Pixel's Cave Story, and thought, this would be perfect. So, I have 3 questions:

1) Did Pixel create the synths himself, or are they originally from something else?
2) I'm aware of his music creation tool, but would like to use FL Studio if possible; Does anyone know if the synths have been extracted into a vst or soundfont?
3) Would it even be legal to use Cave Story's synths in an original project?

Aug 31, 2011 at 3:54 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
1) To the best of my knowledge, Pixel created all these samples himself. That's just how he rolls.
2) If you download PxTone, in the my_material folder there is a folder called Organya22KHz8bit that holds individual .wav files of every drum and instrument. I don't know how you go from that to a vst but that's the best we can do.
3) Since he freely distributes these samples with PxTone, which is free to use and make music with, I can only assume that he doesn't have a problem with people using his organya sounds, but you could always ask him on his BBS if you wanted to be sure

Aug 31, 2011 at 4:46 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Noxid said:
1) To the best of my knowledge, Pixel created all these samples himself. That's just how he rolls.
2) If you download PxTone, in the my_material folder there is a folder called Organya22KHz8bit that holds individual .wav files of every drum and instrument. I don't know how you go from that to a vst but that's the best we can do.
3) Since he freely distributes these samples with PxTone, which is free to use and make music with, I can only assume that he doesn't have a problem with people using his organya sounds, but you could always ask him on his BBS if you wanted to be sure

Ok cool. Think I'm gonna try my hand at making a cave story vst. :heart:

Apr 18, 2016 at 5:44 PM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
Excuse me,

Sorry to bump after being down so long. Did you end up making that Cave Story VST, Dark? It would be a really nice tool to have around in the community. If you've already put it together, could you perhaps share it here? I'd like to use it.

Thanks,
McDavid

Apr 18, 2016 at 9:59 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Excuse me,

Sorry to bump after being down so long. Did you end up making that Cave Story VST, Dark? It would be a really nice tool to have around in the community. If you've already put it together, could you perhaps share it here? I'd like to use it.

Thanks,
McDavid

It's been nearly 5 years since the last post, I'd place my bets that Dark doesn't frequent these forums much anymore. Especially since these were pretty much the only 2 posts they made.

May 29, 2016 at 10:53 PM
Mrs. Policewoman
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
The vst would be a pain to make, anyway, given how weird the pitch works with drums.