Some help with assembly

Mar 20, 2009 at 9:35 AM
Hax on....Hax off....
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I'm quite interested in assembly editing cause it could really give me the oportunity to really re-invent the game with my mod. What i'm trying to do is make a weapon like that projectile from the undead core that hits the ground and makes a sort of shock wave thing that goes across the ground or ceiling. Unfortunately I don't know anything about how to use an assembly editor. I think i can learn some if i can see the assembly for the npc that is the exploding rock thing and from there break it down into the different assembly commands, work out what is neccesary and put that into the weapon which would work best with the assembly.
What I really need though is a way to find a particular npc within the assembly dump and that should get me started.
Please tell me if the shockwave weapon is impossible or if you have some kind of answer of how to find any particular npc
any kind of help wil be greatly appreciated

Mar 21, 2009 at 2:07 AM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Look in the FTP for a file called NPC pointers, then use that to find your NPC.

However, I think you would be better suited with an edited fireball, because there is already some documentation about it on the forums thanks to Lace, and its already a weapon, not an NPC.

Mar 21, 2009 at 5:01 AM
Banned
Some help with assembly.

NEED A DISPENSER HERE!

Mar 23, 2009 at 9:29 AM
Hax on....Hax off....
dooey100 said:
Look in the FTP for a file called NPC pointers, then use that to find your NPC.

However, I think you would be better suited with an edited fireball, because there is already some documentation about it on the forums thanks to Lace, and its already a weapon, not an NPC.

Yeah i was thinking about using some kind of fireball that will become the shockwave thing when it hits the ground rather than bouncing.

Also, i read your new thread involving some basic things to know about assembly which i'm sure will prove to be really useful. I understand the npc pointer thing but i'm not sure what to do about editing them cause assembly programs can only open executable files and I was pretty sure that the assembly of all the entities was stored in the npc.tbl unless i'm mistaken and that's just for health and flags and such.

Thanks very much for that little guide to assembly anyway.

Mar 24, 2009 at 5:21 AM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Uncy Dave said:
I was pretty sure that the assembly of all the entities was stored in the npc.tbl unless i'm mistaken and that's just for health and flags and such.

You are indeed mistaken. npc.tbl contains only various data that is common to all NPCs, like the health and flags. The NPCs behavior is coded into the EXE.

Mar 24, 2009 at 6:05 AM
Hax on....Hax off....
Ahh thanks that's good to know cause i originally thought that everything to do with the npcs (exept for special bosses) was stored in the npc.tbl but now I can try and play around with some of them now just to get the jist of how everything works

Apr 5, 2009 at 1:09 AM
"Huzzah!"
G. freemaan said:
Some help with assembly.

NEED A DISPENSER HERE!
but spys saping my sentry