[SOLVED] Running Cave Story gives me a gibberish message

Oct 7, 2016 at 2:40 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
http://prntscr.com/cqrx46

Every time I run Cave Story I get this message.

The only things I've edited are the Arms.bmp file and the Hermit Gunsmith's room. I'm not sure what other information to give, but I'll give whatever's needed.

Oct 7, 2016 at 3:00 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
http://prntscr.com/cqrx46

Every time I run Cave Story I get this message.

The only things I've edited are the Arms.bmp file and the Hermit Gunsmith's room. I'm not sure what other information to give, but I'll give whatever's needed.
You should open it with Booster's Lab and let it remove the (C) Pixel requirement from the bitmaps. If you just edit them without removing that, the game will notify you that the bitmap is missing that (C) Pixel within its coding. Don't forget to save afterwards! ^_^

EDIT: As for the scrambled ASCII, it was typed in Japanese, making an actual message. Your computer probably doesn't support the unicode yet, so it display different characters in place of the Japanese text.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2016 at 4:53 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
You should open it with Booster's Lab and let it remove the (C) Pixel requirement from the bitmaps. If you just edit them without removing that, the game will notify you that the bitmap is missing that (C) Pixel within its coding. Don't forget to save afterwards! ^_^

EDIT: As for the scrambled ASCII, it was typed in Japanese, making an actual message. Your computer probably doesn't support the unicode yet, so it display different characters in place of the Japanese text.
Thanks! I'm not getting the message anymore :)

Oct 7, 2016 at 5:02 AM
War criminal
I'm glad it works for you, now! :p

Oct 7, 2016 at 11:44 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator

Actually if it's scrambled characters that means it's non-Unicode. Normally it's Shift-JIS, which your computer won't recognize unless you change your system settings to run non-Unicode programs in Japanese.