So, what's next for the CSMC?

Mar 1, 2021 at 3:06 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I'm wondering what should we all do next?
This place isn't really booming anymore. I'm gonna Create the 2021 Cave story modding festival. We really need it. 2020 has been a tough year, and we need to get our mind off things for awhile. anyways... It starts March 1st until April 2. If your interested, please do consider the 2021 modding fest. Thanks. If you have any idea's for mods i should make or for any ideas of what should be next with the CSMC, then please comment down below.

Mar 1, 2021 at 3:07 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Isn't Modfest a bi-monthly thing held at the discord server?

Mar 1, 2021 at 4:21 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Isn't Modfest a bi-monthly thing held at the discord server?
Yeah, it happens every two months or so. We got one comin' up soon, iirc

Mar 1, 2021 at 6:37 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Our supreme leader, Enlight, is going to enact judgement day onto us due to our imperfections

Mar 1, 2021 at 9:55 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Our supreme leader, Enlight, is going to enact judgement day onto us due to our imperfections

we call him the EnlightenedOne for a reason

Mar 1, 2021 at 10:01 PM
War criminal
For real though, afaik modding isn't really going anywhere for the next, couple years, give or take. There's always going to be the newbies joining to make new mods, it all depends on how many veterans will still remain. There's also stuff like Modfest, the possible Kanpachis revival to take place of the old yearly Modcon tradition, CSE2, and Doukutsu-RS floating around ihe community, too. It'd be nice if we can also do fangames on engines like Game Maker or RPG Maker (similarly to Cave Story 2: Beneath the Surface, Cave Story GM, and Rave Story 2), but the niches for either of them aren't really big enough, sadly. :(

Edit: Remember when there used to be a niche to post small indie games made by community members here, as well? (i.e. Bless You Rip, Tess, Day in the Life of a Harpy, Mugeneko, Kitten Battle Dungeon, Hello Penguin, etc)

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 10:24 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Edit: Remember when there used to be a niche to post small indie games made by community members here, as well? (i.e. Bless You Rip, Tess, Day in the Life of a Harpy, Mugeneko, Kitten Battle Dungeon, Hello Penguin, etc)

Now some of us are making games outside of modding!

Mar 2, 2021 at 3:48 AM
Based Member
Yeah, that was a cool thing to see. Sad that the community isn't active enough for that to really be a thing anymore though.

Mar 4, 2021 at 1:16 AM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Yeah, that was a cool thing to see. Sad that the community isn't active enough for that to really be a thing anymore though.
It's not worth the effort to post content directly to the CSTSF or the CSMC anymore.

The Cave Story community as a whole is either the old people that have been here forever or younger people that have alot of drive and creativity, reminiscent of how some of us older members used to act back then. Only on rare occasion these days do you see real talent being brought in, and even then I've already stuck my fingers in enough pies and have gotten what I need.

People like me, Bio, Noxid, and others for the most part have moved to different places to be more active there, because garnering attention for game development through social media is a much more efficient use of one's online presence than sticking to a very niche community for almost a decade.

In the past 5 years or so there was a notable uptick in mods that seeked to be a total conversion of the base game, due to rapid improvements in modding capabilities and resources available, as well as programs like Discord making it much easier to communicate amongst each other and work together for making these things.

However, the game's audience isn't growing by any means, it's only been shrinking and becoming less active, meaning there's less and less incentive for people to remain active here if they want any mobility with their career of choice, simply put : cAvE sToRy iS a dYiNg gAmE

Only way to really reverse that is for the community to either do something awesome with this game, for NiCALIS to actually put the CS brand to good use, or for Kero Blaster modding to finally become a thing.

Edit : Also I'm aware the Reddit is alot more active than the forums, and CS still has a sizeable community on Twitter. I just think forums are being phased out by (objectively) better means of online communication. I expect the forums to continue down the same path, and for NiCALIS to still act as if CS is their "small time" ""humble"" game that they will rarely do anything with. CS Switch was a step in the right direction but it was a step taken far too late imo.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 1:29 AM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Any of my time spent modding CS is time that I could be putting to use getting better at drawing or working on game projects, so yeah I'm probably not gonna go back to modding. It was fun while it lasted, but I'm probably gonna move on, especially since the big takedown of CSE2 repos.

Mar 4, 2021 at 1:48 AM
War criminal
#BringBackMiraiGamer when?