So now we've seen the Wind Fortress...

Jan 27, 2012 at 4:07 PM
Veteran Member
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Knowing what the Wind Fortress entails and where it is positioned, how do you guys figure it would have fit in the original game?

Me, I think we would have had to go there after losing Curly in the waterway in order to get the best ending.

Probably there would have been a door in GrassTown that could only be reached with the Booster 2.0 leading down into it (GrassTown is the only place you have absolutely no reason to go back to after fighting the Core, and of course we've seen the first room leading into Wind Fortress uses the same tileset and enemies... not to mention how it requires extensive use of the booster to navigate).
We also find some Gaudi there, outside of the Labyrinth... maybe they were supposed to have escaped after Quote and Curly fought the Core?

It's hard to tell how exactly Curly could have ended up in the G-Cloning machine (what does the G stand for anyway?) or what that machine's doing there.
I'm guessing the Wind Fortress is where the Killer Robots were originally stationed (and again, this supports the connection to GrassTown given how we meet Malco there). Perhaps it would have been a surviving robot that put her in there (granted that would raise the question why the robot wasn't cloning itself already... maybe he could have been too damaged for that?), or perhaps it would have been left a mystery, like who was giving you hints in the waterway cabin or how Curly got into hell.

After saving Curly, two options would have been viable: either she would be missing her memory, and you'd have to go get the Ma Pignon after taking her somewhere safe, or she could have regained her full memory because of the incident.
It could well be that the Ma Pignon side quest was introduced after the Wind Fortress was scrapped. In fact it wouldn't surprise me given how peculiar it is to have a robot regain her memory by eating a mushroom.

So what do you guys think? Do you have your own theories as to how Wind Fortress would have fit into the game?

Jan 27, 2012 at 7:35 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
I don't think Wind Fortress really fits into Cave Story the game without being really random.

Although as I said before :
I bet a really good mod or an entire new Cave Story could be brainstormed around the vague idea of Wind Fortress.

Kind of like if Cave Story was just Last Cave and fighting Misery...

If I HAD to put Wind Fortress into Cave Story.... ><><><><><><><><
No! It doesn't fit anywhere without changing the plot...

Well, if I could edit the plot and/or Wind Fortress... then...
I guess The Doctor could have taken Curly to his other lab, and you could take a side-quest to Wind Fortress before facing the Doctor to save her for the best ending/hell.

Jan 27, 2012 at 8:15 PM
Member Title
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I believe Pixel said that Wind Fortress was originally between the exit of Final Cave and the Balcony. Don't quote me on that, though.

Jan 27, 2012 at 8:52 PM
Veteran Member
I don't think Wind Fortress really fits into Cave Story the game without being really random.
And that would be something Cave Story never is, wouldn't it? Kind of like a giant living toaster/lunchbox dropping from the ceiling ;)

Well, if I could edit the plot and/or Wind Fortress... then...
I guess The Doctor could have taken Curly to his other lab, and you could take a side-quest to Wind Fortress before facing the Doctor to save her for the best ending/hell.
Mh, so basically kind of like how I described in my first post except with the Doctor instead of a surviving robot? And the fortress being a laboratory the doctor set up instead of the base of the killer robots?
Sounds pretty good too :)

I believe Pixel said that Wind Fortress was originally between the exit of Final Cave and the Balcony. Don't quote me on that, though.
I did read that just recently while looking for info about the Wind Fortress before I got CS+... but it wasn't attributed to Pixel, just the poster's theory.
Still, it could very well be... but that'd mean Pixel completely reworked the area into being on the bottom of the island (full of empty space though which you can fall to your death) rather then on the top, before the throne room.

Jan 29, 2012 at 7:27 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
(GrassTown is the only place you have absolutely no reason to go back to after fighting the Core, and of course we've seen the first room leading into Wind Fortress uses the same tileset and enemies... not to mention how it requires extensive use of the booster to navigate).

Sand Zone has no reason to re-visit either. Just putting that out there.

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:11 PM
Veteran Member
Only for good players like us that never use the Life Pot ;)

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:53 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
uhh, so most players?

Jan 30, 2012 at 2:03 AM
Banned
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I was thinking about how the Doctor wanted to make the island his "flying fortress to attack the surface with". What if that was going to be the Doctor's headquarters, from which he commanded the Island? Idea taken from my soon-to-be fanfic, btw. I just need a name for the fic.

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:28 PM
Veteran Member
Sounds pretty much like what X-Calibar suggested.

I'm surprised several people are inclined to attribute the robot cloning machine to the Doctor, while I seem to be the only one that theorizes a connection with the robot army that invaded the island. I mean, not only the machine seems meant to clone robots, it's housed within a technological fortress... seems to me like it has "robot army" written all over it.

Feb 6, 2012 at 6:45 AM
Banned
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
A robot army... CLONING a robot army...? WTF?

Feb 6, 2012 at 10:52 PM
Veteran Member
Don't look at me, Pixel's the one that stuffed Curly in a cloning machine and set it on maximum production speed.

Between this and her regaining the lost memory by eating a mushroom, one has to wonder if these aren't robots in the Blade Runner sense.

Feb 8, 2012 at 3:40 AM
Banned
Don't look at me, Pixel's the one that stuffed Curly in a cloning machine and set it on maximum production speed.

Between this and her regaining the lost memory by eating a mushroom, one has to wonder if these aren't robots in the Blade Runner sense.

First of all, I think that I don't know what blade runner is unless you mean FFCP267. Also, you just stated PIXEL put her in there.

Feb 8, 2012 at 3:24 PM
Veteran Member
Yes, yes I just did.

I think you're reading me too literally though. What I meant was that it was Pixel's idea to put her in there. As to whom actually could have done it in-game, you can read my theories in previous posts.

Blade Runner... really?

Feb 8, 2012 at 9:24 PM
Been here way too long...
Wind Fortress, I think, is from the beta version of Cave Story, which was considerably different from the finished product. Wind Fortress could have gone anywhere, since the plot probably changed as much as the level design. It could have been replaced with Cthulhu looking after Curly in the Plantation. It also seems like Nicalis took quite a few creative liberties with it, since it wasn't a finished product, so what you see is likely not what would have been in the beta version.

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:25 AM
Veteran Member
Maybe, but from what I heard Pixel is the one that designed the area as we see it in CS+ and it seems to me like he made it so that it could easily fit in place or before of the Ma Pignon sidequest.

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:45 AM
Banned
I now think it was the Gandro Reynkall who made the cloning machine.

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:50 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Or the Ma Pignon sidequest was put in CS instead of the Wind Fortress.

You see, Fab is basing his post on that the Cave Story Beta is the one we all will never get to play.
But CS as we know it had a beta stage too, guys!

All we know is Wind Fortress is a beta stage. But we do not know whether or not it was from the Cave Story Beta, as we call it, or the beta stage of Cave Story.

Without that knowledge, we can't make theories on this.

So therefore, unless someone gets Pixel to tell us which beta Wind Fortress was in;
[/thread]