So I found a glitch in the original CS... (Pic)

Apr 28, 2010 at 5:48 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
This is a glitch that probably a few of you are aware of, but i still consider it funny as hell, and you're free to try it, but it's completely pointless, unless you enjoy watching Quote (or your modded character, in my case) get shoved into a wall, alive.

Simple enough, just jump off of the rocket and wait for it to come back down on your head, clipping you into the block just below it.

The thing I consider the most hilarious about this is that you don't get smashed for -127 by it, just for the laugh.

Here's me shooting into the wall, for those who live by "Pics or it didn't happen"

p99855-0-csglitch.png

Apr 28, 2010 at 5:49 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Yeah I think this is probably the most well-known glitch, since it's one of the only ones (and the easiest to do). They "fixed" this in the wii version, so that when you get trapped underneath, if you press down you pop out underneath and are freed.

Apr 28, 2010 at 5:58 AM
I figured as much...

Do we have a glitch thread? I'm curious of there were any other lesser-known glitches floating around.

The only other thing I found out is that the fireball just simply rumbles and pops when you shoot it up into a flat-ceiling corner against a wall

Apr 28, 2010 at 5:59 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Yeah I think this is probably the most well-known glitch, since it's one of the only ones (and the easiest to do). They "fixed" this in the wii version, so that when you get trapped underneath, if you press down you pop out underneath and are freed.

I don't actually think it's a glitch, the same thing happens when you get crushed by Ballos (2nd form). I think he intended that as the means of not dying from rocket crush

Apr 28, 2010 at 6:01 AM
Been here way too long...
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
They "fixed" this in the wii version, so that when you get trapped underneath, if you press down you pop out underneath and are freed.
You can do that in the PC version too... and I'm not sure that's a glitch so much as a feature.

Apr 28, 2010 at 6:02 AM
cultr1 said:
I don't actually think it's a glitch, the same thing happens when you get crushed by Ballos (2nd form). I think he intended that as the means of not dying from rocket crush

Yeah... but he also didn't really leave a way out, so it makes it kind of a silly thing to do, to me. I've known a bunch of games to pause an elevator type mechanism until the player exited from underneath it, though at the speed the rocket's falling, that'd be really awkward, too.

Captain Fabulous said:
You can do that in the PC version too... and I'm not sure that's a glitch so much as a feature.

Probably so, and I just went back and tested it and sure enough, pressing down works XD

Wow... so much for me being an observant person.

Apr 28, 2010 at 6:27 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Captain Fabulous said:

Huh, I never knew about that since I never went out of my way to find it. Kinda happened by accident to me in the wii version :(

Apr 28, 2010 at 6:51 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
When you get damaged and start blinking, open up your inventory. When you close it you're no longer invincible :(

Apr 28, 2010 at 8:18 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Apr 28, 2010 at 8:31 AM
xD i guess it's more well known than I thought...

Apr 28, 2010 at 12:51 PM
graters gonna grate
There is that physics glitch with the slopes, but that never actually shows up in Cave Story itself, only in mods (really annoying for us modders...)

Apr 28, 2010 at 3:31 PM
Starbound sucked sadly
Volley said:
xD i guess it's more well known than I thought...

well the game has been out for 6+ years, someones bound to find it during that time! ;)

Volley said:

seems you have a different interface, are you making a mod with your mute character?

Apr 29, 2010 at 12:29 AM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
Wedge of Cheese said:
There is that physics glitch with the slopes, but that never actually shows up in Cave Story itself, only in mods (really annoying for us modders...)

It's not annoying - It can be fun.
The glitch he's refering to occurs when the player his a side of the ramp not intented to be touched - It sucks you though at trememdous speed and places you atop the ramps normal contact plane.
Of course, if you wanted an ultra-high speed elevator... XD

Apr 29, 2010 at 1:35 AM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
There's also being shoved downward if you use half a ramp

Apr 29, 2010 at 5:36 AM
xristosx said:
seems you have a different interface, are you making a mod with your mute character?

Yep! though it's still pretty underground, seeing that I just hit a huge low point in free time, and I'm still new to TSC.
I've got a good deal of the content resprited, but for now, I'm going to wait until I've got something a little more comprehensive to release screenshots.

This is going to be nothing visually like the original Cave Story. I plan to use much more rich graphics than the limited ones right now, as far as texture and color limitation, but that's not a promise that it's going to look fantastic...

Apr 29, 2010 at 5:49 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Volley said:
Yep! though it's still pretty underground, seeing that I just hit a huge low point in free time, and I'm still new to TSC.
I've got a good deal of the content resprited, but for now, I'm going to wait until I've got something a little more comprehensive to release screenshots.

This is going to be nothing visually like the original Cave Story. I plan to use much more rich graphics than the limited ones right now, as far as texture and color limitation, but that's not a promise that it's going to look fantastic...

I'm so jealous of that interface! it's so crisp ugh JEALOUSSSSSS.