So I finally beat the final boss

Feb 14, 2012 at 5:22 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Twice, actually.

The first time I defeated it, I ran into the prefab building thinking I could save, exit, watch the normal ending and then reload to get into the bonus stage. Little did I know I was locked in. Meaning not only would I need to defeat the final boss again to watch the normal ending, I would need to do so to access the bonus stage after that.

Sigh. My mistake, I guess. It's not so bad, riiight?

So I try and try and try again and yay, I win after another hour or two of attempts. This time I'm moving forward, taking care to avoid entering the building and squish!

I died in the falling block segment right after.

Which means I need to defeat the final set of bosses again.

Hooray for 3HP!

No, but seriously, I'm really tired. It took me three days to even beat the final boss once and these weren't just 2 hours-a-day days, these were like, 8-hour attempts. I mean, today was only about 3 hours, but I spent nearly a weekend trying to win and now that I have, I still can't see even the normal ending!

Somebody tell me I'm not the only person who has gone through this. I need to study but I'll be damned if I keep letting the ending slip away like this!

Feb 14, 2012 at 5:44 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
You can talk to the bookcase and it will teleport you back outside.

Feb 14, 2012 at 7:09 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
...That was partially painful to read.

Thanks though, good to know I won't need to win two more times against the final bosses.

Feb 14, 2012 at 3:28 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Ah, I remember my first time beating ballos..

Used all my missles on the heavy press and not final form. Used my life pots on the first ballos.

Painful, painful lessons. At least you can relax now! Congrats, by the way. How'd you like the game?

Feb 14, 2012 at 8:28 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hahaha, Ballos. Like I'll reach him anytime soon!

All-in-all, game was a blast. I was disappointed the hard mode was nothing more than a no life capsule no missile launcher run, but even still, it was a wonderful game. They really should have added a few more save points in hard mode though, but I'm going to blame whoever ported to the Wii / PC (not sure when hard mode was introduced).

Had I several more HP and a missile launcher, I would say the game's almost perfect.

Since I want to find out what happens regarding Curly though (favourite character) looks like I've got a Hell to run through. 3HP and no missiles, here I go!

...After midterms.

Feb 14, 2012 at 8:54 PM
no life pot? in section 3, the hearts at the beginning respawn, if you travel between section 2 (the randomly generated hallway of doom) and the hole in the roof in the intro of section 3. Also, The Blast Doors in Section 3 have a explosion that goes through the floor, about 1/2 the size of the Boom Cloud in "Egg Corridor?", and before the Heavy Press boss fight, there will be a mega ambush of angels but you can control them by boosting 1/2 way off the big platform (the one on the roof) and boosting back onto it before hitting the smaller platform on the floor.

You Can Do It. I Believe In You.

Feb 15, 2012 at 11:54 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Used my life pots on the first ballos.
Ugh. The amount of times I died midway through fighting Ballos just because I forgot to use the life pot.. *shakes head*

Feb 15, 2012 at 12:46 PM
"Huzzah!"
I never beat Ballos. I tampered with the scripting so I could watch the final cutscene instead.

Feb 15, 2012 at 3:28 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Why did you feel compelled to tell us this twice?
Also, that's pretty much the worst thing you can do to Cave Story; hack it to skip a boss fight.
Not gonna earn you too many brownie points with the userbase, I'll tell you that much.

Feb 15, 2012 at 5:40 PM
unless you can make a flippin' sweet mod.

Feb 16, 2012 at 7:39 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Ha, I did a quick few attempts at the bonus stage and I can't get past the second room. So many enemies and falling blocks that come from random locations. Not easy to work with when everything is instant death.

Probably shoulda stuck with the Machine Gun. Oh well. I'll win...eventually.

Might do a few practice runs in normal mode with more HP first, though.

Feb 17, 2012 at 12:33 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Ha, I did a quick few attempts at the bonus stage and I can't get past the second room. So many enemies and falling blocks that come from random locations. Not easy to work with when everything is instant death.
Well when you hit B3F regain health at the start, jump back into B2F and back again to reset everything, repeat until you have full health and xp. Now do the full run of B3F until just before heavy press, if you do not have full, or near full, health and xp then you should race back to the start of B3F, reset everything, and try again until you do. This is a good way to practice B3F without having to run B1F and B2F first every time.

Feb 17, 2012 at 6:16 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
There's no health to regain, I'm already at the fullest of my 3HP when I first enter. Getting into the second room, both angels and (randomly falling!) blocks are instant death. Reaching the third room alone would be an impressive feat.

I did make it to Hell in Curly mode though, so I suppose I can practice in there with more HP before I try the (essentially) no-hit run in my actual game file.The best I've made it out of the second room is 35/55 HP though, which is 2 hits too many for that to work in Hard mode.

EDIT: Made it to third room after so many attempts, and I accidentally boost into spikes. Sigh.

There's way too much randomness in the second room for my liking. With the other hard parts of the game like Last Cave (Hidden) and the final boss set, I could at least see improvement after each run, but with this, it's like I'm just hoping the blocks are going to be nice about where and when they decide to fall.

Feb 18, 2012 at 12:26 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Gah! I meant to reply to Ambient_Malice then. I quoted the wrong post. Sorry, I'm an idiot.

But using full hp mode to practice B3F like I mentioned until you don't take damage will ensure that when you do punch through B2F with 3hp you won't have to die 15 seconds into B3F and have to start attacking B2F all over again.

Feb 20, 2012 at 10:25 PM
section 2 is as i said before is "The Randomly Generated Hallway of Doom"
that said beating it is like a dance, you gotta take your time, watch your step, eliminate the foes and glide in style to get to that exit

(also, as a side note, i made it ~80% through that room)

Feb 21, 2012 at 1:23 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
For the life of me I cannot kill Ballo's last form without spamming super missiles into his eye. I die every damn time I try to kill him slightly more legitimately.

Feb 21, 2012 at 12:20 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Ballos'[/grammarnazism]

I had no choice but to do it traditionally the first time I beat him. Just keep jumping onto to the above platform while you shoot Ballos. Switch sides when the platforms change directions. Do not charge your shots since that would leave you vulnerable from behind.

Feb 21, 2012 at 6:12 PM
Based Member
Do not charge your shots since that would leave you vulnerable from behind.
Hehe, that was my technique the first time I beat Ballos. It can be fairly effective.

Feb 24, 2012 at 8:42 AM
The Eternal Darkness
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Ah, I remember my first time beating ballos..

Used all my missles on the heavy press and not final form. Used my life pots on the first ballos.

Painful, painful lessons. At least you can relax now! Congrats, by the way. How'd you like the game?

My first time beating Jenka's brother was somewhere before 2010. I recall using the life pot after I beat the Heavy Press and destroyed the statues in the Statue Chamber (which dropped XP and missiles, unfortunately for me; I had 1 HP left!). I beat the first form of Ballos with the Lvl3 Blade after weakening him with the Max-Charged Spur. The second form, I fired max-charged Spur shots at his eyes every time he stopped bouncing. And killing those imps if I needed to. The third time, was hardest, but I beat his eyes with the Lvl1 Blade (how in blazes did I do that?) and killing more imps for hearts before the last eye fell, I eventually got 55 HP again. Beating Ballos for good was hard, but I weakened him with the Missile Launcher, running out when he had +/- 5% of his HP left (no numbers shown, that's a pity). I used the Blade on him, quickly switching back to the Spur, and eventually took him down with the sword.

However, the first time I actually encountered Ballos, I thought it was a single battle, not a triple battle. And I actually got annihilated by his rotating eyes when I finally beat his second form for the first time. Just goes to show how hard it is. And 3 HP max? That's impossible for me. 15 HP to beat the Doctor, Red Demon, and Misery, that's easy for me (with the Blade, Polar Star and Bubbler only, no Fireball, since I was working on a mod and testing it). But 3 HP? Not gonna be easy...