So, How did YOU find out about Cave Story?

Nov 20, 2017 at 11:21 PM
It Really Do Be Like That Sometimes
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
It was here I found a video about Cave Story via what I think was called the "Nintendo Network."
Probably thinking of the Nintendo channel

Dec 8, 2017 at 5:08 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I was walking home with my best friend in 3rd grade nd he just started going off about this 'cave' game. I'm walking next to him wondering what the hell he was talking about and he tells me about this game called Cave Story that he just got on his DSi. I didn't really care at the time even though he made me try it out. My first thoughts were: This game is hard AF.
A couple years later I was looking for something to play on my dads old HP desktop and I remember hearing something about Cave Story on PC so I looked it up, downloaded it and started playing. Now I love the game.

Dec 23, 2017 at 8:37 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
How were you introduced to CS?

So how were you introduced to Cave Story?
Found a demo of the game on the Wii Shop because I was browsing for some free games to play on my Wii. Played the demo, and I soon later searched it up (on the (internet.)) and found that the game was free.

Fast-forward to 2013-2016 (can't be sure) or so, I had forgotten about the game, till I bought Cave Story on 3Ds. Then I remembered how good this game was, and damn. I played that all the time, and frankly, I'm as good on 3ds as I am on the PC when it comes to this game.

Skip ahead to 2017, I was browsing around games I had on my laptop, and I found Cave Story in the midst of my Downloads folder.

And that's how the story went of me re-discovering the game over the course of 7 years.

Jan 2, 2018 at 6:41 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
How were you introduced to CS?
I think I first played it in 2008, on some handheld device (my memory is pretty sketchy) that my friend had. I couldn't really get into it, because I was 8 years old, and cave story doesn't hold your hand, or give you any guidelines or advice. Pretty sure I gave up by the first boss fight.

Jump to 2016. I'm bored, and happen to notice a application with a familiar name just sitting on my desktop. I ask my brother about it (we share the computer) and he tells me his friend (who I truthfully despise)downloaded it. I almost deleted it right then and there, but I sort of remembered playing it. So I decided to give it at shot, and I'm certainty glad I did!

Jan 2, 2018 at 7:59 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I found Cave Story+ on a countdown of hard levels/games or something, about 3 years back.

Jan 4, 2018 at 4:51 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I saw a letsplay back in 2011 or 2012. I actually played it in 2015 on a Raspberry Pi running NXEngine 1.0.0.4. I didn't get passed Egg Corridor because I was a little boi. I revisited it in June 2017 when I got the Normal Ending.

Feb 9, 2018 at 5:58 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
The first exposure I've had to Cave Story that I recall took place during 2012 or so. At the time I was pretty into Super Mario World hacking, and one of my favorite hackers at the time had been one SpriterSonikku, who I was impressed by for their skills at hacking in general, including custom sprites (which is the equivalent of CS' entities.) I feel as though this particular video caught my interest;

I'm pretty sure years later, when I actually got around to playing the game, that I knew a lot about the game such as Quote's name and identity as a robot. I also sucked at it; I had a tough time getting the Map System. Ah well :p

May 3, 2018 at 12:06 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
A while back, I was maybe six, I found the demo on the wii. I played it, fought Balrog. thought it was weird & left it.

Years later, in 2017, I got it on my 3ds. I replayed it & became a fan

I remember this like it was yesterday, when Toroko apologized for attacking you, I didn't know that "bout" was short for "About", I asked my siblings what it meant & one of them said "No! Don't tell them!" Kindergartener me was very confused.

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 5:09 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
At age five, my brothers(who are huge cave story fans) got me a copy and taught me how to play.
The first time I played through it, I was in a car on the way to Ohio, which is about fourteen hours from where I live.

May 4, 2018 at 3:56 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Was on a road trip with my family and we spent the night with a cousin, and he was playing it to pass the time, so I sat with him and watched him play through the Labyrinth; I fell in love with the artstyle, music, and gameplay and when I got back home, I hunted it down and played through it

Got the "Bad" ending with Kazuma on my first playthrough, then I got the Sue ending, and I've never been able to get through the Blood-Stained Sanctuary without cheating because I do not have the skill or patience for it

This game is fantastic and I love telling people about it

May 4, 2018 at 7:52 PM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Was on a road trip with my family and we spent the night with a cousin, and he was playing it to pass the time, so I sat with him and watched him play through the Labyrinth; I fell in love with the artstyle, music, and gameplay and when I got back home, I hunted it down and played through it

Got the "Bad" ending with Kazuma on my first playthrough, then I got the Sue ending, and I've never been able to get through the Blood-Stained Sanctuary without cheating because I do not have the skill or patience for it

This game is fantastic and I love telling people about it
Not often I hear people call it the "Sue Ending", interesting. And do you ever think you will beat Hell legitimately?

May 4, 2018 at 11:21 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Not often I hear people call it the "Sue Ending", interesting. And do you ever think you will beat Hell legitimately?
I call it such because you follow Sue to get it; as for legitimately beating Hell, extremely unlikely - I can get through the first two rooms well enough, but then things get difficult and my health gets eaten alive

May 5, 2018 at 12:03 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Pro-tip: You are allowed to take your time while going through the Sacred Grounds. That could help you get more used to the area before speedrunning like what the Nikumaru falsely tells you to the first time.

May 5, 2018 at 1:36 AM
Pro-tip: You are allowed to take your time while going through the Sacred Grounds. That could help you get more used to the area before speedrunning like what the Nikumaru falsely tells you to the first time.
I'm now imagining Quote and Curly taking a leisurely stroll through Hell and enjoying the sights, arrows and rocks bouncing off their reinforced umbrellas

They defeat Ballos and the island skids to a halt an inch from crushing someone's house or something

May 5, 2018 at 1:45 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Nah, it stops at the same position no matter how long you take in Hell, which is why the initial elevation for the island will forever be a mystery.

May 5, 2018 at 1:52 AM
Nah, it stops at the same position no matter how long you take in Hell, which is why the initial elevation for the island will forever be a mystery.
High enough to make getting to it difficult and falling off of it fatal
Low enough that the exterior isn't frozen solid and humans don't require oxygen tanks or thick clothing when outside

Also above most clouds, if the exterior backgrounds are anything to go by, which muddies that question even more...

May 5, 2018 at 8:58 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Itoh exclaims, "An earthquake?!?" Sue: "The island's starting to collapse!"

Perhaps you could say the island doesn't begin to fall right after the Core is destroyed? Instead it begins to shake apart at the seams until something happens, triggered either by Ballos' demise or leaving the island to its own fate, in which case nothing stops it from crashing. As soon as you jump off in the normal ending Momorin says, "The island, it's falling..."

Ballos has been waiting for you all along, ever since that red-eye door at the start point. His influence is everywhere, even if he cannot leave the seal chamber until it's destroyed. Ignoring the game logic angle, perhaps he held out until you defeat him. Or whatever, or whoever is holding the island together held out until you abandon the island.

May 9, 2018 at 1:44 AM
Ballos has been waiting for you all along, ever since that red-eye door at the start point. His influence is everywhere, even if he cannot leave the seal chamber until it's destroyed. Ignoring the game logic angle, perhaps he held out until you defeat him. Or whatever, or whoever is holding the island together held out until you abandon the island.
Curly mentioned that negative energy had vanished once you kill Ballos, so...

Definitely one of the odder aspects of the game, but as has been mentioned before, floating islands are a dime a dozen in fiction...

May 9, 2018 at 1:34 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I was browsing the Wii shop channel looking for demos (playing them is how i spent a majority of the second grade), when i found the Cave Story demo, and downloaded it thinking it was just another Wiiware title. As soon as i started playing it, i fell in love with it. I then looked the game up on youtube, and one of the first videos i found was HaydenStudios' fourth ending mod. Then i found the download for the game on here.

May 9, 2018 at 11:21 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I'm now imagining Quote and Curly taking a leisurely stroll through Hell and enjoying the sights, arrows and rocks bouncing off their reinforced umbrellas

"Hey, Quote! The enemies have no idea that they can just shoot below our umbrellas!"