Snake > Spur

Jan 16, 2006 at 3:01 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
This may be an opinion not held by the rest of the forum, but I actually like the snake better than the spur. It's better than the Polar Star for going through the Labyrinth and fighting the Core, it's better for fighting Misery, and it's better for Hell for two reasons:

* It kills those pesky archers and Butes through the walls.
* When you push fire, Curly Brace fires as well, doubling your firepower.

What is everyone else's opinion on this?

Jan 16, 2006 at 3:35 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Agreed. On my Snake playthroughs, the only time I really miss having the Spur is when fighting the Sisters in the ruined Egg Corridor.

Jan 16, 2006 at 8:55 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
You can hack the Profil.dat with a hex editor to having these two weapons:
Spur
Snake

Jan 17, 2006 at 9:27 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
My fastest runs were usually with the Machinegun....But my runs are ALL extremely slow, so that is of little importance. I actually don't care much for the Spur, and....really.... Once I get the Blade, that's all I ever use. ^^;

I do agree that the Snake has a lot more practical applications. I don't like being vulnerable while charging up the Spur. And I like flying with the Machinegun, but that's absolutely useless on any Hell run. Black wind. Eesh.

Jan 21, 2006 at 4:23 PM
Been here way too long...
"..."
My fastest run is 4'56"0 with Snake, blade.

The annoying part is leveling up snake and super missles. Also, you can take out at least one of the gates while waiting on a previous one to explode.

Jan 25, 2006 at 10:13 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I'm in huge favor of the spur. I've always been able to button mash really really fast. The spur can handle an unlimited amount of shots on screen at once, while the snake can only handle 4 shots at level 3. Plus I stand in Ballos' eye, so the spur doesn't power down. That's a big factor for me. I guess it all depends on your playing style...

Jan 26, 2006 at 10:39 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
If you're going to be right on Ballos' eye as your example, shots-on-screen is not going to make any difference, since as soon as they hit something, more shots can be released, so even if you can only have one shot on screen at a time, if you're at point-blank, you can still essentially mashrapidfire. As such, you might as well just button mash the Blade (which is what I do), which, even if knocked down to level 1, does crazy-more damage than the uncharged Spur.

Long-range is a different story... Spur is good for knocking things out at long range, yes. Snake... eehhh... less so. But in Hell, by the time you really need long-range, you'll have Curly's Nemesis, so you can just turn your back to things and shoot them out. And the Snake'll get rid of a number of enemies and obstacles before you even reach them with its through-walls ability... But hey, that's just -my- experience, and experience ranges drastically. c.c;

(Any need for long range before Hell... is generally ignored by me as I rush up and beat things to death with the Blade most of the time, anyway. Just Because.)

Jan 28, 2006 at 3:09 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Good point about the spot on Ballos' eye, Daimera. I still say my point applies for the Heavy Press, but I think I'll try the sword on Ballos. That, and I really want to try a Polar Star run of Hell. Come to think of it, I never use any other weapons than the Polar Star and Spur... Ah well ^^