Simplified color BBcode isn't working; preview is still evil

Jan 17, 2014 at 7:13 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Okay, so I'm really, really sorry for wasting someone's time if I'm wrong about any of this, or missed something, but I'm sure that /something/ is wrong here...

So I wanted to use some pink text in a post of mine. It wasn't imperative I do so, I know, but it would help distinguish my text and stuff. Because I don't know number sequences off the bat, I used the BBcode "(color=magenta)" to create the pink text. That code has been a trusty ally since my time on Shane's Forums, I even verified it works here. However, upon quickly checking the preview page to read for any errors, none of the text was pink. I figured it might be because it's in a quote, but Bombchu's rainbow colors looked fine. He used the #whatever version, I think. So I went back and changed one to (color="magenta"). No dice. I went back and deleted the quote casing. Still nothing. So I decided it might just be the preview page not displaying it for some reason, bit the bullet, and regularly posted the whole thing using quick reply. It still wasn't pink. And Bombchu's text was still rainbowy.

I also checked it with an edit, and none of my color code was there at all.

So why let "simplified" color code using words like blue and magenta work in some areas, but not others?

Also, just as a test. This text was written using the simplified magenta tag. This text was made with one of the preset color codes.

And yes, the preview page is still dumb. It still previews fine despite cutting off your post if it's long and you submit it through that page. Quick reply (the message box at the bottom of every thread page) is the only safe way to submit a long post, ironic considering the preview page is supposed to help you review a long post. This was already established in a previous thread, and obviously IPBoard hasn't fixed it...

Is there anything that can be done about either of these?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 18, 2014 at 11:44 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Regarding the preview page, is there a post I can check this behaviour with? Any idea when it first started?

As for the color bbcode I'm planning to sidestep the ipb editor and related parsing completely when IPB4 comes out, because they plan to strip out bbcode support entirely. So when that happens I'll have full control over bbcode parsing. A keyword to hex colour code conversion might be in order.

However I tried (color=blue) and that worked, so I'm not sure what's going on, unless there is a whitelist for color keywords?

Actually I suspect that such is the case. The basic color keywords seem to work, while the extended color keywords fail. Try (color=fuchsia), it produces the exact same colour as magenta.

Jan 20, 2014 at 7:39 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
Please excuse my taking so long to reply D:

If by post you mean just a giant piece of text to try submitting, then I'd recommend going through this thread and seeing the last post. The Progress Report I posted broke at the "<ANP" when I posted it after previewing. Actually, read that thread anyway if you haven't, it might be a little enlightening. It seems this has been happening for a long while, I apparently had trouble back in late August. =o

Wow, IPBoard 4 is just going to get rid of BBCode support? That's a little silly...but I'm sure it's better in your hands, anyway. :D

Hm...so there's a weird arbitrary selection of colors that work? That's odd. Especially since magenta works in the profile comments...

Regardless, fuchsia does seem to work, so I'll suck it up and use that in the future. Thank you. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 21, 2014 at 1:47 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I couldn't reproduce the issue. However I just tried something in the backend, let me know if it works for you.

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:50 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
I've been using liberal amounts of preview and nothing's happened since then, so I think it is fixed. Thank you. :D