Signatures

Sep 8, 2012 at 11:58 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I guess this can sort of serve as a general signature thread, but I have an issue I'd like to point out in specific.

So I've noticed a sort of increase in the number of potentially rule breaking signatures as of recent, and I think I may now know why. When you go to the page to edit your signature there's the following line:
Your signature may contain:
• Any number images
• Images of any size
• Any number of URLs
• Any number of lines
While this is technically true, it should really mention rule 12 here (12. Locations shouldn't be obscenely long (they stretch out the edge of the page), and signatures must not be greater than 500 pixels in length and/or 200 pixels in height.) Otherwise the user might get the impression that they can put really large images of Rihanna in their signature or something.

Thanks to Dinny for pointing this out.

Sep 8, 2012 at 12:01 PM
A Reluctant Balrog's Waifu
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
No prob, GIR.

Sep 8, 2012 at 12:32 PM
The Preacher
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Otherwise the user might get the impression that they can put really large images of Rihanna in their signature or something

Haha yeah or those stupid "<member> has <X> internets" signatures

Anyway that Rihanna fanboy's sig doesn't break the rule of 500x200 so it's fine for now right?

Sep 8, 2012 at 1:21 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
First of all I don't know how to change this :<

Second of all, now that I think about it, those numbers were set way back at the start of MiraiGamer and have barely been discussed since. They're still a fairly reasonable limit, but it could be more useful to have an overall sig width/height limit, because having more than one image is common. What do you guys think?

Sep 8, 2012 at 1:32 PM
Hiino said:
Haha yeah or those stupid "<member> has <X> internets" signatures

Anyway that Rihanna fanboy's sig doesn't break the rule of 500x200 so it's fine for now right?

BhadRebelle is a chick!

DoubleThink said:
First of all I don't know how to change this :<

Second of all, now that I think about it, those numbers were set way back at the start of MiraiGamer and have barely been discussed since. They're still a fairly reasonable limit, but it could be more useful to have an overall sig width/height limit, because having more than one image is common. What do you guys think?

Having a width/height limit is all that's really needed. And that's only because I don't necessarily trust all new members to have common sense, based on what I've seen.

Sep 8, 2012 at 2:06 PM
The Preacher
it could be more useful to have an overall sig width/height limit
It's already the case, since the 500x200 limit is for the whole sig, not just pictures.

EDIT: Unless you mean an actual limit and not just a rule, like, physical impossibility to make large sigs. But I don't think it's possible, given the fact that size changes according to the navigators and the zoom level.

Sep 8, 2012 at 2:53 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
It's already the case, since the 500x200 limit is for the whole sig, not just pictures.
Huh, guess that got lost in translation over the years. In that case, it might be okay to raise it a bit (after all, everyone has bigger monitors now; I was running around with that gif in my sig for two months and nobody complained) and/or make it clear that having a large image means little or no text.

Sep 8, 2012 at 2:55 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I dunno, I still think 500x200 is about the limit of what I'd consider acceptable. Case example:
p157143-0-sig.gif

I dunno about you guys but if I had to scroll past an image that large every time someone posted I'd start to get a little miffed

Sep 8, 2012 at 3:08 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
200 seems like a good height limit, but I think the width limit should be maybe be a bit larger, since people all have big monitors now (maybe 700 or 800).

Sep 8, 2012 at 3:37 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Yeah I think the width should be increased a bit too, as long as it doesn't stretch the page. I really think height would be more of a concern for sigs anyway, since they'd be annoying to scroll past.

Sep 8, 2012 at 3:39 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Otherwise the user might get the impression that they can put really large images of Rihanna in their signature or something.

Ahem. That was before! Like, two weeks ago or something, lol.

Sep 8, 2012 at 4:08 PM
The Preacher
I think GIR's sig is at the limit of the acceptable height for me (even though it's okay since he isn't a spammer anyway), and it's almost 200 pixels high. So we shouldn't change that.

However, 500 pixels for the width is really short imo. It's barely more than a quarter of my screen. 800 is still not much, but considering that tiny netbooks usually have a resolution of 1280x800, it would be dangerous to increase the width further.

Sep 8, 2012 at 5:45 PM
Sep 8, 2012 at 6:53 PM
Professional Whatever
I think that doubling the sig width would be fine, for banners and such. 1000x200 sounds pretty good to me.
I also think the height limit should remain the same, because what Noxid said

Sep 8, 2012 at 7:04 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I personally believe that no signatures should be allowed on Forums. If you look at Basilmarket (yeah it's eBay for a lousy MMO go sue me) they have no signatures, and the avatars are just the characters in the game, so everything looks super clean.

I do use my signature for a few small buttons, which I've made smaller, but I wouldn't mind significantly decreasing the maximum signature size.

Sep 8, 2012 at 7:07 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
That sounds entirely different from an actual forum like this, and therefore seems somewhat irrelevent. And if signatures bother you that much, hide them. IPBoard can do that.

Sep 8, 2012 at 7:08 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I guess this can sort of serve as a general signature thread, but I have an issue I'd like to point out in specific.

So I've noticed a sort of increase in the number of potentially rule breaking signatures as of recent, and I think I may now know why. When you go to the page to edit your signature there's the following line:

While this is technically true, it should really mention rule 12 here (12. Locations shouldn't be obscenely long (they stretch out the edge of the page), and signatures must not be greater than 500 pixels in length and/or 200 pixels in height.) Otherwise the user might get the impression that they can put really large images of Rihanna in their signature or something.

Thanks to Dinny for pointing this out.

What's wrong with BhadRebelle's signature? It does'nt break the rules. its about the same size as my balrog image....

Sep 8, 2012 at 7:16 PM
Professional Whatever
On Basil you don't really need signatures for anything. Sure people abuse them here, but they hold important links or info some of the time, like a link to a mod you created or something.

Sep 8, 2012 at 7:25 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
What's wrong with BhadRebelle's signature? It does'nt break the rules. its about the same size as my balrog image....
BhadRebelle had a REALLY LARGE signature a week or so before this thread was made. Like nearly 1000x1000 or so IIRC.