Should I Get A 3DS, 3Ds XL, a PS Vita, or an Nvidia Shield?

Best mobile system:

• PS Vita

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • 3DS

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • 3DS XL

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • Nvidia Shield

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Aug 31, 2014 at 4:21 PM
Serenity now, insanity later.
"..."
I can't decide between these. I had a 3ds, but sold it less than a year ago. I have heard that the shield is good, and you can play HL2 and Portal natively on it, but there is a small good game selection as well (I hate most mobile games.) I know that the vita has good graphics, and a decent library too.

So what would you recommend?

Aug 31, 2014 at 4:37 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Had never even heard of the Nvidia Sheild until now. But anyhow I've never actually owned a 3DS, but sone friends of mine do and it looks great. Plus the game selection is pretty big.

Aug 31, 2014 at 4:40 PM
2dbro
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Don't get the regular 3DS, get the XL, mainly because the regular one is tiny as fuck.

Aug 31, 2014 at 4:49 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
3dsxl is cool if you like paying a lot of money and don't like fitting your handheld in your pocket

The screen isn't tiny on 3dsreg but it'll look smaller if you've used the xl before

The fuck is nvidia shield i thought nvidia was a graphics card

Aug 31, 2014 at 4:59 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
The XL is more money, but it is definitely worth it. I've used both versions a lot for at least over a year, and the XL is much better. The bigger screen is just so amazing and you'll hate the normal-sized screen once you play the XL. The battery life is longer, too.

Aug 31, 2014 at 5:09 PM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
The one thing I can say about the 3DS' screen, is that DS games look really small if you use the mode that keeps them in their normal resolution so they look less awful. If they fixed that with the 3DS XL then yeah you should go for that. They did announce a new model of the 3DS recently though so maybe you would want to wait for that.

Aug 31, 2014 at 5:12 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
3ds, bravely default best game.

Aug 31, 2014 at 5:47 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I actually had to look up what a Nvidia was, go for 3DS XL, Better screen, longer battery life, and the 3DS in general has a good amount of games. The only downside (I think) is that there's going to be more new models for it, (Moar buttons).

Aug 31, 2014 at 8:47 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I've got a 3DS myself, and I've never regretted having a small screen... I just found that it was a novelty when I played on a 3DS XL. But still, I guess some people would prefer it. I'd heard of the Nvidia shield before, and I actually thought it looked really really good, until I saw that there weren't very many not-terrible mobile games for it. It looks like a console that probably has potential though. When Smash comes out, I'll definitely be able to see the benefits of having a 3DS over the Nvidia.

Aug 31, 2014 at 9:44 PM
"..."
Dunc2403 said:
hold out a month and get the limited edition smash 3DSXL that'll inevitably come out

Almost every single first party game has their own limited edition it seems. But in the meantime (about 3 hours ago) I bought a 3ds XL, which by the way, happened to be limited edition of Dream Team.

Aug 31, 2014 at 11:42 PM
Perpetually out of it
Hold out longer and maybe you can get the "New 3DS" that's coming out with exclusive games.
It's a really stupid business practice, but hey, Xenoblade on a portable is enough to get me buying it.
The system comes with a extra "joystick" and shoulder buttons, complete with extra processing power and all that jazz.
(Also Bravely Default and Bravely Second alone are worth the purchase, Default is one of the best games on system by far.)

The PS Vita, despite having more games than the 3DS (in total), has a miniscule library of games actually worth owning when compared to the latter. But hey, if you like JRPG's then go right on ahead.

From what I've heard, the Shield is everything about the Vita to an extreme.
Crazy good processing power and specs? Check.
Very little third-party support for exclusive games? Check.

Sep 1, 2014 at 1:19 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
The Vita has my vote. I have a pile of "getting back to one day" games in my bag because there is always that next game that catches my attention and won't let go.

Sep 1, 2014 at 4:56 AM
War criminal
Nadojin said:
Hold out longer and maybe you can get the "New 3DS"
Funny thing, I was originally gonna get a 3DS XL to replace my current 3DS since it's a bit broken, but then when I found out about the N3DS, I decided to wait until that comes out. Also, I really like the nod to the Super Famicom on the ABXY buttons.

Sep 1, 2014 at 11:36 AM
"..."
The New 3DS comes out in America next year though... that is a long wait. It is more of what the DSi was to the DS Lite/Phat. An upgrade that makes it slightly better, has very few exclusive games (yes, the DSi had a few exclusives.)

Sep 1, 2014 at 2:01 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
TLincoln said:
Also, I really like the nod to the Super Famicom on the ABXY buttons.
Yep. I might buy it just for that reason alone.

Sep 1, 2014 at 6:10 PM
"..."
andwhyisit said:
Yep. I might buy it just for that reason alone.
Colors! But yes, that was a good idea for Nintendo to do: it probably encourages hard core Nintendo fans to buy it.

Also, I have a feeling that the New 3DS will less successful than the 3DS was for Nintendo. My main reason is when people hear the words "The New" right before a product name, they tend to roll eyes. For example, "The New iPad," or after the 80's band, the Cars broke up, the got back together as "The New Cars."

Still, it is definitely an improvement over the original 3DS. And I have heard that it will retail at a lower price, which will help Nintendo out a lot. Still wonder how they are going to fix the Wii U mess though.

Edit: Ooops forgot about New SMB. That sold really well.

Sep 2, 2014 at 12:11 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Come back next year for the release of the "New-er 3DS".

Sep 6, 2014 at 1:55 AM
"..."
Well, my XL arrived in the mail today. Everything I wanted (besides screen resolution.)