Shadows of Adam

Apr 11, 2015 at 8:37 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
One more. This one doesn't look too stand-out from first glance. But, seeing that the writer is...
Luke Wacholtz (aka Lun from The Way rpgmaker game...)!

That makes it a must-check-out for me. I'll give the game the benefit of the doubt...

No trailer yet unfortunately, but screenshots, music and site.
http://www.somethingclassic.net/

Keep it in the back of your mind. :]
More info as it develops...

Apr 12, 2015 at 7:15 AM
Indie game enthusiast
duncathan said:
I never played the Way. The music I've heard is good, at least.
I've always spoken highly about the game, but I'm not good at selling it...

Here, this review might help:
http://rpgmaker.net/games/507/reviews/1366/

Games like The Way can take forever, but there's an option to disable battles, so you can stick to the puzzles, cutscenes and treat it more of an adventure game.

Here's a spoiler video The Way video, but it gives you a taste of the atmosphere. Plus music :]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGOQpCwrOT0

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:22 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Oh shit lun's working on this? I definitely have to check this out, the way was the shit

Jun 8, 2016 at 9:46 AM
Indie game enthusiast
Missed the kickstarter apparently... But it got funded!
Here's the public kickstarter demo:
http://demo.shadowsofadam.com/

While it wasn't The Way, it definitely made me think of classic SNES Final Fantasy games right from the start. Worth a look imo~ Nice music too. (browser playable demo!)

Jun 9, 2016 at 9:09 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
The art style reminds me of the old RPGs like Final Fantasy. I'll keep tabs on this. :)

Jun 30, 2016 at 7:13 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I decided to give this a shot since I had a few...hours...free. I really should have spent this time working on gifts, projects and plans, but there's no helping it now!

Obviously, it's a demo, so it's unpolished in places. The total lack of sound effects made attacks less satisfying than their sweet animations could allow for, and I wasn't really a fan of the Tangle music, especially since it plays during battles in the style of FFVII's opening. After that, the music gets nicer - both battle themes are pretty catchy! Probably the most original wrinkle that Shadows of Adam brings is the AP system, since I actually haven't seen one like it (so far, and I haven't played all of the old masters among RPGs or even most of them). AP is pretty quick to get down, and it allows for the generous use of specials without worrying about conserving MP - I've never liked managing that stuff early in the game, when battles are less interesting and your mage doesn't have much. Even in the first few bosses and battles, there's lots of room for strategy, especially with the surprisingly significant lack of defending or turn skips and the AP bonus you get from finishing blows. I like that. :)

The characters develop nicely in terms of battle options, with a decent variety of skills to use, and as personalities go they're not terrible even if the dialogue initially didn't hold my interest. There's plenty of room for addition and improvement, but this is an RPG with potential and I'd like to see how it develops!

Jun 30, 2016 at 9:18 PM
Indie game enthusiast
@Polaris - There should be sound effects! Wonder why it didn't work...?

Still, glad you were still able to check it out and enjoy it to some extent~(even if at the expense of other possibilities D: )
I've seen variations of the AP system, but I think they tuned the difficulty pretty nicely. It doesn't seem very exceptional, but as a hand held RPG, I'd have loved it lol
Anyway, here's hoping they continue to improve and blow us away by the full version x)

I'll probably get the full version when it comes out and will tell you how it shapes up ;)

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:22 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I’d love that. c: I agree that it isn’t exceptional but boasts a very nice difficulty balance. We can only hope that it exceeds our expectations!

Wonder why it didn't work...?
Oh, that’s a thing I forgot to mention! After fighting Random Mugger #4 and reading what I assumed would be the end of demo message, I was unceremoniously dumped onto the world map. Surprised at the demo's length, I poked at a nonfunctional house, then entered the castle and was greeted with a neverending black screen. A very confused reload actually showed the end of demo screen this time, after beating Random Mugger #4 again. It’s entirely possible that the sound effects were similarly bugged. :v

I meant to make a note of that, along with the fact that all of the enemy placements are totally static and dull one-tile beef gates. I’d almost prefer random encounters! (Big almost!) Of course, the main thing to remember is that development is a long process and this is just the journey~