Shadow Hearts III Discussion: Spoilers!

Nov 19, 2004 at 4:44 PM
Penguin Administrator
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
After playing Shadow Hearts II, I personally wasn't sure if there was even going to be a Shadow Hearts III due to some of the events at the end.

My interpretation of the ending was that the good ending of Shadow hearts I directly follows the good ending of Shadow Hearts II eventually. I've had this feeling when I played the game and the comments from the World Guidance Book of Uru/Yuri seems to support it.

There are two facts regarding the third game that is known by the World Guidance Book.

1) There is indication of interest of wanting to show more of Anastasia and Kurando if there were to be a future game on their profile page.

2) In Q and A section with Machida san, he mentions how he definitely won't use Uru/Yuri as the main character if there were to be a future game.

And there's the in-game "joke" regarding the profile of Joachim's sister. (pointed to me by adrich, since I never read those profiles)

Are you happy with these preliminary ideas if these three facts indeed turn out to be how it will actually be?

Nov 19, 2004 at 6:34 PM
as3ad
"No! Don't OPEN that DOOR!"
If a sequel was made, I would be glad if the main character was not Yuri.
Granted I haven't beaten Shadow Hearts 2 yet but it seems that his story will be wrapped up by the end (I could be wrong)

I'm not sure about Anastasia or Kurando.

I'm not that interested in Anastasia, there doesn't seem much left to her (actually there would be if the developers decide to follow the theory that she survived the murder of the Romanovs and lived a long life) I just would not be attracted to such a game.

I haven't seen Joachim's sister yet but I will soon, so maybe she interests me enough to warrent wanting a sequel featuring her.

Now if a sequel is made I would like it if a new character was created but in the same world, it would keep the series fresh.
If they insist on re-using old characters then what do you think of Yuri's father, would be fun to play it through his view but the problem is that we already know how his story ends.
What do you think?

Nov 19, 2004 at 7:56 PM
Penguin Administrator
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I personally think it would be hard to find a main hero that will replace Uru/Yuri. The charm of that character was that he was the unlikely hero. Sure, he has super powers and has the looks that will satisfy the fangirls, but I really liked how they focused on his unhero-like qualities through out the game. (His lack of intelligence among others)

I would hate for the next hero to be very "hero" like, but at the same time I wouldn't want a character that's similar to Yuri either.

Anastasia is actually one of my favorites in SH II. I'm not exactly sure how she is in the English version, but she's quite a character in the Japanese version. It would be nice to see what kind of a mature lady she grows out to be. I would also like to see how her family's death will play out and what exactly happens to her. (Their theory of what happens to her)

I'm not too interested in Kurando at all.

Hmmm... The Hyuga daddy...
Dare I say, a "gaiden" thing would be good enough for me. : P

Nov 21, 2004 at 3:38 AM
Administrator
Well, Im not entirely sure what you mean by "good" ending. It seems that the series thrives on continuing from the most tragic endings. I.E. in Koudelka, James dies...and in SH1, Alice dies. It would fit that the game would take the more tragic ending and have Yuri with his memories gone... of course, that would be a good medium to reintroduce his character from new.

I agree though that Yuri's story has gotten a 2 game run, and it would be nice to see the game branch off in other angels. Unfortunately, I am not at all fond of the Kurando/Anastasia storyline.

In historical reference, the entire family was wiped out. While you can argue that there might be a CHANCE that Anastasia escaped...Im not too hopeful that is the case.

What I liked about this series was how history played in teh background as in "hey, I know that event in history" and giving you a foothold so to speak, in reality. But the more that it tries to directly "intervene" in historical events...the less personal it begins to feel.

Now that we are moving away from the small scal personalized story that Koudelka had...into the more cliche "Save the world" type stories...I feel rather sad.

It's almost why I weep over Suikoden. It used to be a smaller story...a way between two lands...two peoples...and turned into a "Lets save the world" cliche.

Nov 24, 2004 at 6:16 PM
Penguin Administrator
Isn't it a widely accepted theory that Anastasia was alive after all her family members were killed? Or do I think that because of that animation movie?

Nov 24, 2004 at 6:33 PM
Administrator
It's a widely thrown about rumor. There is next to no evidence to that fact. *considers doing a FAQ on historic Anastasia Romanova*

Nov 24, 2004 at 8:13 PM
Penguin Administrator
You should! : )

Nov 24, 2004 at 9:09 PM
as3ad
I wouldn't mind helping out with such a FAQ, I'm always interested in history.
So if you do want some help, I'm here^_^

Nov 26, 2004 at 6:26 PM
Midnight Muse
I really liked the Yuri character also. He wasn't your typical hero who wants to save the world and I think there would have to be a place for him in the next game, even as a sidequest. But I, too, was not drawn to any of the other characters.

Granted they fit the game as it was, but Kurando was rather boring to me, though I like Ana.
I thought she was cute when she clobbered the others in the various sequences. Not your typical princess actions...
:D

But even if they do not use Yuri, they need someone with his type of attitude. Someone who is anti-hero and yet does carry through with what he needs to do just in the way that Yuri did.

I could in fact see Kurando in the next one, but he'd not make be a good main character type. He's not strong enough to be placed as a leader unless something major changes in his attitude. And neither are any of the others.

Joachim, as well as Keith from the first SH, made acceptable sidekicks, just as the others did, but I can't see any of them in the leader position either.

Which means they have to come up with someone entirely new but same type of attitude as Yuri, keep Yuri and continue from the worst ending, or adjust Kurando. Otherwise, I think the true enjoyment of the game would be slightly spoiled for most people. It could very well be that Kurando takes the lead because of the bad ending.

Seeing Yuri with no memories and as only a shadow of what he once was, could very well make Kurando dig in even as Yuri did. And though it is a duty as Yuri's cousin, who's to say that he doesn't begin to enjoy it much the way Yuri seemed to? If that happened, then I could see Kurando as a possible leader in the next game. But something would really have to push him to doing so. As he is in the second game, he just doesn't have the drive.

--

And darkannex, you should do a faq on her. Though I know how much you already have to do anyhow, so I'm going now.... *runs* :D

Nov 26, 2004 at 11:18 PM
Administrator
as3ad said:
I wouldn't mind helping out with such a FAQ, I'm always interested in history.
So if you do want some help, I'm here^_^

Heh. You know much about the Romanov/Romanoff history?

Nov 27, 2004 at 3:29 AM
as3ad
Most of my history courses have been about the Russian Revolution and the Romanov family, so I still have my notes.
I can also always research any parts I do not know.

Dec 2, 2004 at 5:01 AM
Administrator
awesome! have any ideas specifically on what we should focus on? I guess something like

Historical Anastasia
--Life
-- Death
---Theories

SH2's Anastasia
--Life
--Theories?

Dec 2, 2004 at 5:19 AM
as3ad
Thats a good foundation to start with, should be able to cover everything with that.
I started asking my history teachers their opinions about Anastasia and they all said that there is practically no evidence that she survived except for the fact that her bones were missing from the burial
I also asked if there were any sources stating that Anastasia was different than the other daughters and again, no evidence.

Give me a day or two and I'll type up a list of rough points about her, just to start with.

Dec 2, 2004 at 5:54 AM
Administrator
Hm. I may be outdated with my research...but I thought it was Maria's body that was missing from the burial site? Not Ana's?

Dec 2, 2004 at 3:15 PM
Penguin Administrator
*didn't take any kind of European history at all in high school or college*

A tiny summary of who was a member of that family might be helpful for people like me since I have no idea who Maria is. X_X

I recall back now about hearing how people couldn't find Anastasia's bones. I have no idea from who or when I heard that though. It could be a documentary on the animated movie or was it a scene in the movie...? o_O

From my non-informed person point of view, not finding her bones seems to look like big evidence. What's the common theory of what happened to her? Did she die from other ways like a fire? Or is it perfectly normal for her bones to not be there?

I could just wait for the faq though. : P

Dec 2, 2004 at 3:22 PM
as3ad
Well as far as I know it was definatley Anastasia's bones that were missing.

Well it is widely accepted that the bodies of the Romanovs were dipped in acid so that their bodies were disfigured so that they wouldn't be idolised by their followers and it is possible that Anastasia, being the smallest, might have received a heavier dosage or that her body was just easily disentegrated.

Dec 2, 2004 at 5:03 PM
Administrator
Hm. I must really be outdated. *cries cause all her books are packing in her parent's basement*

Im sure it was Maria (sister to Ana) that was officially missing. I will have to go find out.

And good thought about listing the family members.

Dec 2, 2004 at 5:11 PM
as3ad
I looked around and I guess I was mistaken.
It was the remains of Marie (not Maria) that were missing along with those of Alexi so you were not outdated.

Dec 2, 2004 at 6:28 PM
Penguin Administrator
I'm so confused...

So they did find Anastasia's bones? o_O

Dec 3, 2004 at 7:31 AM
Administrator
Was the maid's name Maria then? *gah too tired to think*

According to what I remember...the most recent theory I heard was that the family was dumped down an abandoned well...but when one of the people that was in charge of disposing them there talked too freely, they moved the bodies to another location and buried them.

But they did not bury all the bodies together. Apparently two were missing...Marie's and the tsarevich (alexei)

This was not unusual in the soviet times....they often did that to obscure the identity of those murdered...