Setting Some Standards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 15, 2008 at 12:00 PM
/end
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
From what I see having a long location only pushes you info (Join Date, Posts, Location) away from the other side of the page.

But from what I can tell it doesn't stretch the page.

Jun 15, 2008 at 12:00 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Well, as you can see by the location I have now, it does look rather funny... I'd say 15-20 chars max...

Naked edit: It looks really f'ed if you don't maximize the window.

Jun 15, 2008 at 12:02 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
I stand corrected O_O
Also, you two might want to take a peek at how your posts look using the PenPen Forum Style. (Although I guess this is only an issue if somebody actually uses it >_>; )
Edit: I look fine all the way up to about 100 but I might be running higher resolution (1024 x 768). I think 20 is awfully limiting :<
Double-Edit: Also now that I think about it the satellite lounge only started becoming really popular somewhat recently so before that there was no need to say anything there... just mentioning <_<;
Triple-Edit: You guys could have just edited your old posts then rather than making new ones :|

Jun 15, 2008 at 12:04 PM
/end
Actually that is the skin I am using at the moment. lol

Anyway, 40 characters looks a little weird to me.

Jun 15, 2008 at 12:08 PM
So for the sake of not breaking the layout, 15-20 characters, maybe 25?

Jun 15, 2008 at 12:15 PM
/end
I think 30-40 should be alright, since it doesn't stretch the page.

Jun 15, 2008 at 12:16 PM
I suppose. But for anyone who doesn't maximize the forums - beware of stretch marks.

Jun 15, 2008 at 12:23 PM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Right. Well I've come into this thread pretty late now..

Well I have some comments on this matter.

MetaSeraphim said:

Anyway, I completely disagree with you, why?

Because you're just a regular member of this forum, just like every other member on this forum, even if you're a mod or even an admin.

But I still rather hear the thoughts of the only two responsible sensible people on this forum. SkyeWelse and Shirofan.

Dude, you're such a sucker for authority. No matter what people's ranks are, people respect other's opinions as everyone has differing opinions and you're not always right.

@MetaSeraphim: DT was suggesting not making new rules >_>... I guess you misunderstood what he was trying to say and therefore I shall not insult you lol. Unless... *evil eyes*

~~~~~~~~~~

I'm kinda glad that someone brought this matter up. However, Double Think, I'm not sure if spammage is really a problem cause... well unless of course the spammage is due to excessive flamming. I find that some people find it fun to spam and it's becoming a common form of erm... entertainment in this forum >_>... unless of course spammage is badly affecting something? o.o

I also feel the the usage of coloured text isn't really affecting the users of this forum due to the existance of "dom text" because that's part of what makes this forum kinda... interesting >_>... And I also agree that since coloured text is there for us to use, why can't we use it whenever we want to? I'm actually enjoying the funny spam (as I like spam too whee~) and coloured text cause that's what makes this forum unique. I really hate to see this fun forum become some serious and stony community where people can't get friendly with each other >_>

Edit -
S. P. Gardebiter said:
Oh boy... Stop spamming plox or just GTFO.

This is not a all happy spamming forum, this is a serious discussion forum, a forum about hacking, work and other things. Not a forum about shitchat and other so-called things.

This is the internet. This is serious business.

Can't we be a unique forum? As I mentioned before... ;-; I like the friendly atmosphere here where we can be open to each other DD:

Oh and another kind of spammage -- Deletion of posts as a form of posting.
(As seen in the earlier part of the thread ._. )

"MetaSeraphim: I'm gonna be the bigger women (lol) and end this."

Or something like that... Wtf? That's.... -.-"

Edity -
I'm not being sarcastic and for once I'm being serious here so don't misunderstand me ._.

Edition -
Oh yes I would like to add something ._.

Long sentences paragraph automatically if it happens to stretch beyong the window width. It is only extremely oversized texts that cause the text to stretch beyong the window width.

Thought I'd make that clear ><

Jun 15, 2008 at 1:00 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Another Suggestion:
5. Reviving old threads should only be allowed if you have something to contribute to the thread's original topic only.

Metalogz said:
I'm kinda glad that someone brought this matter up. However, Double Think, I'm not sure if spammage is really a problem cause... well unless of course the spammage is due to excessive flamming. I find that some people find it fun to spam and it's becoming a common form of erm... entertainment in this forum >_>... unless of course spammage is badly affecting something? o.o
Members have been allowed too much leeway, so they push their boundries and it is starting to become a problem, one that really needs to be addressed.

Jun 15, 2008 at 1:10 PM
Hoxtilicious
andwhyisit said:
1. Spam shall be classed as any post that does not follow or does not contribute to the "current" topic of discussion (within offtopic discussion) or the the thread's topic of discussion (within ontopic discussion).

Agreed.

andwhyisit said:
Note: since spam posts (as described above) do not contribute to thread discussion it is quite safe to delete them, rules need to be enforced.

Agreed.

andwhyisit said:
2. Full colour posts cannot be in light or dark colours in order to improve readability in both skins with the exception of doom text. (putting the idea forward)

Agreed.

andwhyisit said:
3. Offtopic can be tolerated as long as it follows a certain chain of conversation and if it goes back ontopic at the request of the thread starter, moderator, or admin.

Agreed, there should be no ban on offtopic, but it should be reduced.

andwhyisit said:
4. Location names cannot be longer than 30 characters.

Agreed.

andwhyisit said:
To SP: The "Posting stupidly", "Something's wrong with this forum", and "What gender are you?" threads need to be moved to the satelite lounge. They are not cave story related but forum related instead.

Agreed.

andwhyisit said:
5. Reviving old threads should only be allowed if you have something to contribute to the thread's original topic.

Agreed.

As for the colours:

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/4770/coloursvo7.gif

Try to read that, not easy.

By the way, it's gif >_< So screwed up colours I think.
In the forums its much harder to read them.

Jun 15, 2008 at 1:28 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
S. P. Gardebiter said:
Agreed.

Agreed.

Agreed.

Agreed, there should be no ban on offtopic, but it should be reduced.

Agreed.

Agreed.

Agreed.

As for the colours:

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/4770/coloursvo7.gif

Try to read that, not easy.

By the way, it's gif >_< So screwed up colours I think.
In the forums its much harder to read them.
Yay! Seal of approval. :D

Should a "Cave Story Forum Rules" thread be made, stickied and locked with this as a discussion thread? It would makes things easier since the current miraigamer forum rules are horribly dated.

Jun 15, 2008 at 1:45 PM
Hoxtilicious
Whats location names though?

Jun 15, 2008 at 2:27 PM
In all honesty, I wouldn't so much think of these as rules so much as things you should consider as a courtesy to your fellow member. Or rather, Courtasy - To Be Enforced. Peace.

Jun 15, 2008 at 3:21 PM
Respwnt
Replying strictly to the first post
First off - spamming

Okay, I've been taking something for granted as a well-known distinction between two concepts - spamming and off-topic. Off-topic is a collection of knowledgable, intellectual and sensible statements posted with a purpose, posted unnecessarily in the discussion going on. The discussion of the Pseudo Earth theory in Jacob's Chaco thread was off-topic, because it was Cave Story-based and if I might add, more sensible than the thread itself. Similarly, a joke or an ironical statememt meaning to induce humour, based on the discussion at hand is not spam. Such stuff is justified, pardonable, and to an extent, essential for maintaining the flow of the topic. However, spamming is, was, and will ever be, pointless and unwarrented posts like, "Hey, is my text colour good?" or that sort. These posts are clearly spotted as they stand out among the on-topic stuff, as long as you can determine which post began the spams. The crap we used to post in Jacob's infamous "something I noticed" thread is the best example handy. We used to have a good time, but the spams got out of hand and it really was time to put a lid on em. Garde has been doing a pretty good job of late and now that we have more members posting here, we might change the look of these boards. :>

Oh yeah, and another important factor of distiction of spam vs. offtopic is the number of posts chaining the offtopic discussion. Off-topic almost always starts with an vaguely on-topic post, but the replies to that post take the thread off the rails. So, let us, as dedicated members to these forums, pledge to think at least once whether your post will enhance the discussion before hitting the submit button. I've been doing it (you'd better believe it >:E) ever since Garde had shut Jacob's thread, although I've let the posts go loose every once in a while.

You don't need to check on the fun you have, just move the discussion to some other thread meant for your post. Or make a new thread in the S Lounge. It helps as every spam discussion prevented is a bonus.

Yeah, all this might sound weird coming from me, but seriously I've been noticing the growing urgency to get rid of this problem for a while and want to help out too. ._.

Jun 15, 2008 at 3:54 PM
Luls
Dude, you want to help out, but... The Flame's Thread...? >_>? And here I thought I was the only irrational one here... =="

andwhyisit (that you say this? D:) said:
Members have been allowed too much leeway, so they push their boundries and it is starting to become a problem, one that really needs to be addressed.

But... It isn't irritating anyone is it? I mean.. even I find it fun to spam. But the spam that we are currently addressing doesn't include the repetition of the same phrase/sentence. The spam we're addressing is a lot of posts that contain up to only a few words. That isn't really spam... ._. THe only kind fo spam that really irritates me is the kind that is repetitive and by the same person=/...

I don't really see a problem... Unless of course the spam is due to flamming...

Jun 15, 2008 at 4:11 PM
Respwnt
Metalogz said:
Dude, you want to help out, but... The Flame's Thread...? >_>? And here I thought I was the only irrational one here... =="

You know as well as I do that it's the S Lounge I made that in. >_>

Metalogz said:
But... It isn't irritating anyone is it? I mean.. even I find it fun to spam. But the spam that we are currently addressing doesn't include the repetition of the same phrase/sentence. The spam we're addressing is a lot of posts that contain up to only a few words. That isn't really spam... ._. THe only kind fo spam that really irritates me is the kind that is repetitive and by the same person=/...

I don't really see a problem... Unless of course the spam is due to flamming...

No, the "OMGOMGOMG LOLololOL" posts you make as just as spammy as the more general spam posts I and ris do. No difference.

But I do agree that taking this thing too strictly will degrade these forums. We need to drive it slowly and steadily, so that the threads don't dry up and get inactive. You can't start banning every spam poster from the first post after this thread reaches a conclusion. You would, I assume, agree though that any form of spam does irritate when the limit is stretched.

Jun 15, 2008 at 5:55 PM
Guy with Sword
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Well, this was needed for quite some time.
On the issue of spamming, there are millions of forums out there for no reason, trust me, I own three. This is the only decent cave stroy board, treat it that way. Satalite lounge is fine for spam, but threads in this forum shouldn't go off topic for more than three or four posts. If a good topic that isn't cave story related is brought up in a thread that is, make a seperate thread for it in satellite.
Colors: The colors don't bother me on the normal Cave Story Skin, but in other skins it's an eyesore. If you use a colored text, you could be polite and not use colors that irritate people. You don't really need it to post and it hurts more than it helps.
Also, Welse is in collage, or so I've heard. He doesn't have time to post let alone manage you people. SP's a mod, listen to him; but really there should be no need for bans or such. Just be mature, people.

Note: I'm posting from florida, andwhy. No I am not just hiding from you people.

Jun 15, 2008 at 8:55 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
All I have to add about the standards is...
I prefer more content than chat. If you have something to say, say it. But, be reasonable. Chatrooms, IMs, PMs should contain most of the "Yes, I agree too.", "catgirl dies!", "colorz 4 teh w0rld ;)", "EPIC FAIL *picture included*" posts. 5 pages of those don't really add much usefulness on a forum for cave story...

I obviously love to go offtopic as I almost always do, but I *try* to keep it interesting or useful if I do. Shouting something you just HAVE to say is fine, but shouting something you have to say every other post is not.

Maybe the real trick is we need more topics that aren't one liners lol
Even my Dreams and/or Cave Story thread is really out there...
The redeeming quality there is for the random element. Somebody might have a really neat or bizarre idea that might come in handy for a mod or somebody's writer's block ;P [and at the same time dreams are interesting/strange enough not to be total spam ;p]

Jun 16, 2008 at 12:35 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
S. P. Gardebiter said:
Whats location names though?

Jun 16, 2008 at 3:01 PM
Luls
Yeah obviously I would be irritated if it is repetitive spammage.

Like...

1st post: LOL
2nd: LOL
3rd LOL
etc...

But..

Roonil Wazlib said:
No, the "OMGOMGOMG LOLololOL" posts you make as just as spammy as the more general spam posts I and ris do. No difference.

But I do agree that taking this thing too strictly will degrade these forums. We need to drive it slowly and steadily, so that the threads don't dry up and get inactive. You can't start banning every spam poster from the first post after this thread reaches a conclusion. You would, I assume, agree though that any form of spam does irritate when the limit is stretched.

Yeah I guess there's a limit to everything >< But NO PLEASE NO BANNING! That would make this forum suck (sorry). Spamming by the same person shouldn't last more than 1 page =/... (Btw my page length is set to a length of 40 post so.. That's kinda long rofl.) ._.

Oh and btw I really hate people who use BIG GIANT LETTERS right through their whole post. It just really sucks. (Dun wanna give examples of those who do that often ><)

Status
Not open for further replies.