Setting Some Standards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 15, 2008 at 7:27 AM
Source Splicer, 2nd Class
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Well, I'm bad at summarization, but I'll try to add something positive here...

As for the topic of spam, if it's contained in its own thread like the Emu one, I don't really have a problem with it... However, any heavy income of spam that's pointless and seems to have no end until the thread is locked can be pretty upsetting to anyone.

EDIT: The colored posts thing doesn't really bother me at all, but I don't really have anything to back this claim up, though, except my own way of thinking.

The rules, I believe, are fair enough, especially considering some other forums out there that are much more restrictive than this one. No matter how many incidents are made, a lone force cannot alter the way things are (My deepest apologies if it seemed as though I pointed a finger at someone else there... I was merely stating a lesson that I learned myself in real life, so I was really pointing at myself in that last sentence).

And as for another Moderator for the forums, it's not a bad idea, but I believe S.P.'s already doing a great job as it is.

I WANT YEN LIN!!!
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Hey those online guys! Come view this thread AND POST WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE CHANGED IMMEDIATELY.
AND DT, stop that sarcasm, seriously seriously. And the fact is I already want to see this sarcasm at the wrong place stopping. Some are not that wise(which includes me) so we may fail to get the point. And I probably failed to get your point.

Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
DragonBoots said:
I would propose a penalty for spamming (such as losing 10% from your post count if you get caught spamming or trolling) or a greater limit to the number of posts you can make in one topic in one session (I mean, 30 seconds can stop flooding, but not spam. Make it at least 2 minutes.)
While, DT, I can appreciate you position, I did state what I wished to see changed.

Additionally, I would like to see the addition of a "Can of Spam" subforum to the forums, on where we can have 50,000,000 topics about the time my cat attacked the lawnmower and won or whatever.

If the solution is to change a person, you need a better solution.

Peace.

Jun 15, 2008 at 7:33 AM
/end
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
DragonBoots said:
Additionally, I would like to see the addition of a "Can of Spam" subforum to the forums, on where we can have 50,000,000 topics about the time my cat attacked the lawnmower and won or whatever.

We already have the Satellite Lounge which is your "Can of Spam" section.

Jun 15, 2008 at 7:37 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
@ DB: No you didn't. I am sorry but you don't seem to reading what it is I'm saying. This thread is about finding out what other users don't want to see, NOT POSTING "SOLUTIONS" TO THEM BEFORE THEY ARE EVEN DEFINED.

@ Freezit: If you want me to get your point then please be specific okay, I am not very good at reading between the lines when they aren't obvious :|
No offense meant.

@ Bad Beholder: FUCKING THANK YOU DUDE. I appreciate you have tried to make an effort. But could you please be more specific? Is there stuff you yourself see happening on the forums that you would prefer if it didn't happen?

Jun 15, 2008 at 8:01 AM
Oh.
*Click*
I see now.
Though don't toss those aside just yet.

Anyways, there really are only 2 things on the forum that irritate me:

First, the bumping of a topic with anything along the lines of "Oh, that's how you do X" or whatever (Granted, I have don't this once or twice, and I won't try to justify it..."

Second, there seems to be a habit of blending topics. While this is minor, the posting of the phrase "Oh, that's just like in [ url ] WXYZ [ /url ] on the forums. Wasn't that funny? lol". That's the big one for me, as it tends to disrtact the train of thought.

Also, the one or two trolls, and the guy who thinks the forums are his personal army.

Jun 15, 2008 at 8:03 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
DragonBoots said:
Also, the one or two trolls, and the guy who thinks the forums are his personal army.
The rest of your post was excellent, thank you, but I'm going to have to ask you to be specific here if you want to see anything come of it.

Jun 15, 2008 at 8:08 AM
DoubleThink said:
The rest of your post was excellent, thank you, but I'm going to have to ask you to be specific here if you want to see anything come of it.
It's actually a joke referencing the 3 other forums I attend... Nothing to worry over. Oh, 1 other thing: the use of "doom words", whilst funny at times, can get a little stale... Just saying.

Jun 15, 2008 at 8:09 AM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
@DB on his post of suggestions
Ok that 2nd one seems to be headed to me, so probably I'll stop doing so.(if it's really me :[ )

And I'll stop this colouring for a while until others voice out as well.

@DT I think(this is plain pointing fingers, but with some purpose) you guys started it first, this confusion thingy. Unless like Naru who already mentioned her fetish on confusing others. And maybe failure to get the point is just me alone's problem, but the same goes for that colour problem as well until Jake logged in to join the [sarcasm]fun[/sarcasm]. (see, that ain't so hard to do)

Jun 15, 2008 at 8:29 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
freezit4 said:
@DT I think(this is plain pointing fingers, but with some purpose) you guys started it first, this confusion thingy. Unless like Naru who already mentioned her fetish on confusing others. And maybe failure to get the point is just me alone's problem, but the same goes for that colour problem as well until Jake logged in to join the [sarcasm]fun[/sarcasm]. (see, that ain't so hard to do)
Well I certainly didn't bump 20-odd topics and make a right mess of the front page just for attention. Yeah, I do overreact sometimes, but really only when prompted, generally either by blatant trolling or somebody deliberately offending somebody else. I would have been happy to drop it if she had been nice about it afterwards but she wasn't :( Either way I am sure she will tell you it was my fault :rolleyes:

EDIT: Thinking back now it was Roonil who took issue with her first, not me, and he is usually very sensible regarding these matters, so...

Blargh, now I'm getting off-topic. There's nothing wrong with having a good discussion topic whether something prompted it or not, and as I've said this is not the "who-did-what" thread, this is the "what-I-don't-want-to-see" thread. Though at least it's getting somewhere now and I thank all of you who have given input.

Jun 15, 2008 at 8:40 AM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
And I agree with everything in your last post, except you are still doing this sarcasm thingy, again. Unless you are happy that she says you're at fault, you should not use that smiley right after that line. Smileys are there to express you're feelings, and don't misuse it. If you're not, then I'm happy enough that you guys are making up.(coldly?)
And I already mentioned, I don't want unclear sarcastic points especially with a smiley that doesn't fit the expression at all. (and sorry for this rant on unclarity, I've lost a lot of marks in English lit for this)
And I wasn't really blaming anyone, my idea is all in what I posted, just read and get the point, I wasn't implying at all and if you think I did, I wasn't.

Peace ok? I hope this would end soon possible. :/

Edit: Nice Naru if you mean you are ceasing fire(or rather, flame. this makes for a pun at kinda a wrong time) and offering peace. Peace on the world created by Skyewelse-sama! And DT, anymore remarks on my post here?(no intimidation intended. not at all, 'cause I'm starting to feel a lot better than cheese chilling at 4 [degrees]C)

Edit2: those who removed their posts below, you're doing it wrong.

Jun 15, 2008 at 8:53 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
@ freezit: Sorry, I think I understand now, you want me to stop being sarcastic. I will try a bit but I'm afraid that's just how I talk, especially when I'm annoyed. I try to make a point of being obvious about it but if it's confusing you I'll try to be more forward.
You see? Things are improving already!
Edit: You seem to take issue that this thread has arisen because of the argument at hand and that I'm angry or something. The argument is what prompted it, but I really see nothing wrong with have a good general discussion about what the quality of posting is we all want to see on the forums and I don't think you should either.

@ Meta: I am sorry but you are most likely the only person on the entire forums who believes that after what you've said since then. I was bringing it up because Freezit mentioned it, which isn't on-topic really but I just wanted to clarify for him, because there is no way on a cold winter's day in hell that anybody except for you was the one who initiated this. (Outside of this thread obviously, of course I started that, but I am hoping that is a given.)

Jun 15, 2008 at 10:37 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
I am posting this now only because I spent so long typing it up, I'm a slowish typist okay? :rolleyes:

I am not getting worked up, I have NEVER gotten worked up, all I have been doing this whole time is trying to prove a point. And the fact that you are doing this purely because you think it makes me angry really makes you out to be a good person, I am sure that the other users on the forum will ignore my attempts at intelligent discussion and side on you with that.

It would seem that we are at a stalemate here, where we both think each other to be idiots. The only difference then is that I am trying to promote insightful discussion while you basically took one look at the rules and decided to ignore them. That is what I am try to say here, that people should not be allowed to break the rules just because they FEEL LIKE IT.

I have no idea why you think SkyeWelse will rush in and save you either, after you broke the rules that he himself set down, or why he would get rid of SP as a mod when he was the one who gave SP mod ablities. And if you weren't being serious about that then I can only assume that you haven't made a single serious post since you joined and should probably just stop posting.

I was as polite as I could possibly be at the beginning of this thread and you didn't seem to care.

This has nothing to do with the spamming, the point I am trying to make is that you seem to feel you can break the rules whenever you want, and the point I am trying to make is that nobody should be allowed to do that, whether they FEEL LIKE IT or not.

Jun 15, 2008 at 11:09 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Suggestions for rules:

1. Spam shall be classed as any post that does not follow or does not contribute to the "current" topic of discussion (within offtopic discussion) or the the thread's topic of discussion (within ontopic discussion).

Note: since spam posts (as described above) do not contribute to thread discussion it is quite safe to delete them, rules need to be enforced.

2. Full colour posts cannot be in light or dark colours in order to improve readability in both skins with the exception of doom text. (putting the idea forward)

3. Offtopic can be tolerated as long as it follows a certain chain of conversation and if it goes back ontopic at the request of the thread starter, moderator, or admin.

4. Location names cannot be longer than 30 characters.

To SP: The "Posting stupidly", "Something's wrong with this forum", and "What gender are you?" threads need to be moved to the satelite lounge. They are not cave story related but forum related instead.

Jun 15, 2008 at 11:12 AM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
Make a poll since the ad ain't here. And objection on the 4th suggestion.

Edit: @andwhy pics or it didn't happen, and I think you did a good job with that the above post btw(just telling)

Jun 15, 2008 at 11:22 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
freezit4 said:
Make a poll since the ad ain't here. And objection on the 4th suggestion.
40 character limit?

Thing is that long location names have been known to break up the page, that is why I suggested it.

We need to create an up to date set of rules for this forum. That involves making suggestions and decisions on what would be best for this forum.

Jun 15, 2008 at 11:28 AM
/end
andwhyisit said:
2. Full colour posts cannot be in light or dark colours in order to improve readability in both skins with the exception of doom text. (putting the idea forward)

To SP: The "Posting stupidly", "Something's wrong with this forum", and "What gender are you?" threads need to be moved to the satelite lounge. They are not cave story related but forum related instead.

#2 is unfair because I looked at my pink text on CaveStory lite and it isn't that hard to read. Also I have never seen a rule on the forum that doesn't allow you to use some colors because of skins. And there is a total of 7 skins not two.

We have no general section on this forum, just a spam section and the CaveStory section which acts as a general section.

Like this thread itself has nothing to do with CaveStory at all but rather the forums themselves.

Jun 15, 2008 at 11:42 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
1. and 3. Seem very sensible, but by that same token I think a couple of spam posts every so often shouldn't be seen as a serious issue, only when it happens continuously in a thread or is done with bad intentions. Y'agree? I would really hate if the result of my thread is that every other post gets deleted :<

2. Yes! I like it! Good idea.
Freezit, knock that green up a coupla shades lighter and you're good to go. (Yours was the main one I was having trouble seeing other than those ridiculous multicolour ones where every 10th letter was invisible. Also if you could please make your normal text one size larger that would be great.)
This is exactly the kind of thinking I like to see, making some small sacrifices for the good of everybody. What a nice thing to do! :rolleyes:

4. Um, what are location names? ._.

Jun 15, 2008 at 11:49 AM
The location name is you location. Ie. On a corner of a circle. If they get long, they stretch the page. Ummm... Also, I have some issues with the way the forum is organized, but mayhaps that is for another discussion...

Jun 15, 2008 at 11:57 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Oh. Erm, don't those just indent from the edge of the page rather than pushing it out?

Status
Not open for further replies.