Setting Some Standards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2008 at 9:56 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
andwhyisit said:
I was making fun of you earlier? Sure I was. But you seem to take that as an argument or attack against you. The fact that you took my attempt at humour with the strawberry cow so negatively tells me things about you that I don't even want to know. I am sorry about making fun of the whole Kage argument thing but you have taken things way too far.
I'm sorry but I am sick to death of effectively being told to shut up every time the argument comes up, so if you say you don't want me to complain about it then at least have the decency not to bring it up. I don't know at what point you decided that I thought the topic was even mildly amusing, contrary to everything I've stated pretty much from the start. I don't want to talk about it unless something's actually going to get done about it, because I'm the one who gets fucking picked on for it and it's a bloody stupid argument that I really shouldn't have to defend in the first place. If you don't want me to snap at you, then don't tell me you're sick of something and then start posting it like it's suddenly funny again when you feeeeeeeel like it.

Oh and before you yell at me Roonil, I didn't bring this up, but it seems it's okay for everybody else to explicitly remind me of what I hate about this place whenever they feel like it ^______________^

Sep 1, 2008 at 10:15 AM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Metalogz said:
(Btw I just realised that there isn't a report post button on your own posts, which means that you cannot report your own post lol xD)
Please don't use that rope.

And why the hell ain't this report button ever mentioned before?
If SP-san had told us this earlier, the command not to become so-called self-proclaimed moderators whose intentions are only reminding others will be more sensible, since she would more easily notice which posts might have been shit to us but she didn't notice as she is indeed human.

And if I'm not lazy, I would have joined DT in the wars against Hage but his posts are too shit during those times so I just kept silent(or said a word or two that didn't help :p)

And please, the sarcasm is too scary you know...

Sep 1, 2008 at 10:57 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
DoubleThink said:
I'm sorry but I am sick to death of effectively being told to shut up every time the argument comes up, so if you say you don't want me to complain about it then at least have the decency not to bring it up. I don't know at what point you decided that I thought the topic was even mildly amusing, contrary to everything I've stated pretty much from the start. I don't want to talk about it unless something's actually going to get done about it, because I'm the one who gets fucking picked on for it and it's a bloody stupid argument that I really shouldn't have to defend in the first place. If you don't want me to snap at you, then don't tell me you're sick of something and then start posting it like it's suddenly funny again when you feeeeeeeel like it.

Oh and before you yell at me Roonil, I didn't bring this up, but it seems it's okay for everybody else to explicitly remind me of what I hate about this place whenever they feel like it ^______________^
You completely missed what I meant.

I apologised for this post already:
http://www.cavestory.org/forums/posts/39847/

I told you that you went too far by snapping at this post:
http://www.cavestory.org/forums/posts/39849/

..with this post:
http://www.cavestory.org/forums/posts/39851/

You were right in that writing this post was wrong of me:
http://www.cavestory.org/forums/posts/39847/

..but when I tried to make light of the situation and later apologise you completely snapped at me, then you started arguing with me. I never wanted to argue with you. You can accept my apology if you want, but is it so impossible for me to have yours? Interpret my post however you want but either way if you want to continue this argument you can do so without my further involvement. We appear to both have been victims of this argument. Truce?

Sep 1, 2008 at 12:57 PM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Okay, lesson learned: Don't make fun of DT. Now can we please continue?

Sep 1, 2008 at 1:32 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
I wasn't trying to attack you, I'm just sick of being told I'm wrong all the time and everyone acting like it's some kind of joke. I did the cow picture in hopes of playing along and not sounding too serious but obviously that didn't work. I was particularly annoyed though because it was you in particular who said it because you're the one/one of the ones who rouses at me every time I bring the topic up and claim to be sick of it regardless of what's actually being said, like here, and yet you think it's funny to drag it out of nowhere and make me look like the idiot. I'm just saying if you really don't want it to happen then don't bring it up. That's all.

Sort of @ everyone else (yeah this is a but of a rant, but I figure it could bring up a new topic of discussion):
Maybe it's just something to do with the mentality of the forums at the moment, with all this arguing about opinions and personalities and stuff. When I read your post I got the impression this is what most people here think of me, as "That wordy guy who argues with Kag" as opposed to, you know, everything else I do, because at the moment people seem to only be classed based on how they argue or their little quirks about things and everything else they say is just filler. Like in this thread of yours, it turned into a personality thing because that's all everybody seems to talk about, "oh you're like this because you do this because dsfmaksfasdkfnj". And even then aren't new users bright enough to figure these things out for themselves rather than having everything set in stone? Part of the fun of joining a forum/being a newbie is being able to figure this stuff out for yourself and yet they're already getting biased opinions because of stuff like this. Why can't we just be ourselves? It seems at the moment like everyone is meant to behave a certain way and when we act differently we get in trouble for it. For me it's "You're meant to be the mature guy who helps out with mods and stuff so you aren't meant to get angry and argue about things". How is anything supposed to get done or decisions get made if there's always this finger-pointing and complaints of hypocrisy all the time?

Important Bit -> Personal opinions are important, but I think if someone has an opinion on something and knows what they want to say they should be able to express it without using somebody else's behavior as an excuse. I'm not saying get rid of personal feelings or avoid personal examples, but just because somebody else does something doesn't make it right. People should feel free to trip someone up if they make a mistake (in serious discussion), but not just because of so-and-so-other-user. Frankly at the moment I personally feel that I have to get a bit personal to get through to anybody, because it isn't the words that matter so much as how rude you sound when saying them.
Thoughts?

Sorry if I overreacted but I really cannot stand it when people tell me what I'm thinking, especially since there seems to be some kind of misconception floating around as me being a troublemaker. I despise things like trolling and I do not attack people unless I feel I've been provoked or am defending somebody else. Nuthin' personal I don't think >_>

EDIT: Oh right, and the Report Bad Post button. Any more news on that? <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2008 at 3:14 PM
This Troper
... I'm ignoring that argument now.

Sooooo... The rules agreed upon? If yes, now would be a good time to post the list. Also, does the Report button work, SP?

Sep 1, 2008 at 3:34 PM
Respwnt
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
DoubleThink said:
Eh what?

I always argued coz you seemed to vaguely pick up the wrong hints that somehow always lead to the old argument. Now when it's so blatantly andwhy who started it all, why should you think I'd butt in? :p

DT said:
And even then aren't new users bright enough to figure these things out for themselves rather than having everything set in stone? Part of the fun of joining a forum/being a newbie is being able to figure this stuff out for yourself and yet they're already getting biased opinions because of stuff like this. Why can't we just be ourselves? It seems at the moment like everyone is meant to behave a certain way and when we act differently we get in trouble for it.

The bold part was exactly why I chose debating here over having a life. Why would I care about you having your opinion on Kage if it didn't influence others' opinions on people.
btw:
DoubleThink said:
KAGE-ISM: 1) The art of kissing up to a pubescent wapanese shitstain who uses Big Fancy Words but can't even use them in the right context half the time; 2) Shitsux; 3) I fucking told you so.

Next~
Oro?

DT said:
I'm inclined to think SP does keep a tab of all that, so it's worth a try whenever you think you need it I guess.

Sep 1, 2008 at 11:40 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
DoubleThink said:
As I said: grown out of use so I doubt SP checks the reports. More effective to just PM SP really.

Oct 19, 2008 at 6:41 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Pretty much every issue that I would have suggested has been suggested up to this point.

One thing I would like to add though is that the visited link color in a persons username be changed to a less eye-straining color. It's a pain to read.

Oct 19, 2008 at 8:52 PM
In front of a computer
That's probably skin-dependent. You should either specify which skin you're using, or switch to a different theme.

Oct 20, 2008 at 1:52 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Metalogz said:
I really think that this thread is degrading to a flame thread... I mean, the argument DoubleThink is having is NOT HELPING ANYTHING.
Look @ post dates please.
Lvl 3 Blade bumped the thread. This happens a lot >_>
Not sure that my post is quite relevant atm anyway :<
But ON THAT NOTE... has any of the stuffs discussed and agreed on actually been implemented yet? I know the first post said that this thread wasn't for making new rules but that went out the window pretty quick, lol.

Oct 21, 2008 at 10:14 AM
Justin-chan
Well, it would be best if you state there that you are not allowed to post in a spambot thread cause I got a warn from S.P. for that. @_@

Oct 21, 2008 at 12:10 PM
Respwnt
DoubleThink said:
Look @ post dates please.
Lvl 3 Blade bumped the thread. This happens a lot >_>
Not sure that my post is quite relevant atm anyway :<
But ON THAT NOTE... has any of the stuffs discussed and agreed on actually been implemented yet? I know the first post said that this thread wasn't for making new rules but that went out the window pretty quick, lol.
The new rules were supposed to be put up somewhere since we'd all agreed to more or less everything. I dunno why this thread's been treated like it never happened and not everyone will go through every post to locate all the rules. We need the rules pinned and pretty damn desperately. <_<

Oct 21, 2008 at 12:30 PM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
jcys810 said:
Well, it would be best if you state there that you are not allowed to post in a spambot thread cause I got a warn from S.P. for that. @_@

Me too... We've been asking if the rules are agreed upon yet. And? No answer! And one fine day, someone just comes up to me and warns me with an accusation about a topic that I have not heard off since the Neandathal men.

Oct 21, 2008 at 2:00 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Roonil Wazlib said:
The new rules were supposed to be put up somewhere since we'd all agreed to more or less everything. I dunno why this thread's been treated like it never happened and not everyone will go through every post to locate all the rules. We need the rules pinned and pretty damn desperately. <_<
I've found this thread usually increases in activity when the forums are particularly bad and then dies down when things stabilise again. Still, that isn't really a way to get anything fixed properly... methinks a new thread is needed maybe, now that everything has been pretty much decided upon? I'm not making it though, I'm not active enough at the moment, and frankly it would be kind of nice to see somebody else take the initiative for once >_> It wouldn't have to be anything big, just a "Here is what's been agreed on, whatchu think we should do to make sure it's implemented properly/does it need implementing or a definition change". And yeah some specifications for exactly what SP is warning peoples for would be nice also, just so everybody's on the same page (yes I'm aware of what the rules are, but they haven't been updated or anything).
EDIT: Now that I think about it it would also be a good thing to do as part of the site updates that are taking place at the moment, y'know, make sure everything is all up to date and pretty and sparkly. Because pretty sparkles are very nice and happy and in no way bad. Yes.

Oct 21, 2008 at 4:49 PM
Respwnt
DoubleThink said:
I've found this thread usually increases in activity when the forums are particularly bad and then dies down when things stabilise again. Still, that isn't really a way to get anything fixed properly... methinks a new thread is needed maybe, now that everything has been pretty much decided upon? I'm not making it though, I'm not active enough at the moment, and frankly it would be kind of nice to see somebody else take the initiative for once >_> It wouldn't have to be anything big, just a "Here is what's been agreed on, whatchu think we should do to make sure it's implemented properly/does it need implementing or a definition change". And yeah some specifications for exactly what SP is warning peoples for would be nice also, just so everybody's on the same page (yes I'm aware of what the rules are, but they haven't been updated or anything).
EDIT: Now that I think about it it would also be a good thing to do as part of the site updates that are taking place at the moment, y'know, make sure everything is all up to date and pretty and sparkly. Because pretty sparkles are very nice and happy and in no way bad. Yes.
I don't think it's very practical for anyone other than SP to do it or it'll go the same way as this thread. :| What we need is finalisation in the Announcements section and SP's the only active authority to do that now. I'll look through the topic tommorrow and list everything that's been agreed upon, if that's what you mean. As for making a new topic, I think SP can pick up from there and do it.

Not sure what you mean in the edit, but there're gonna be no updates to the forums I think. @_@ (this may or may not have been relevent to your post, but that's my reply to what I thought you meant there.)

Oct 22, 2008 at 12:02 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
To SP: Post a friggin' rules thread already!

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:48 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Oct 22, 2008 at 8:38 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Cool beans :D Guess all I can really ask for now is that these rules are treated universally and apply equally to everyone. And maybe a note on how stringently they are enforced, unless it's a numerical limit.
Also no mention of flaming? Wouldn't that be directly attacking a person? IMO trolling is more about blatantly lying for attention and doesn't necessarily have to target somebody. They're both stupid though >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.