SCF's Exit Fate

Mar 7, 2009 at 1:23 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
A guy by the name of SCF recently released a free traditional RPG called Exit Fate, which has been getting pretty good reception in many circles. I first heard of the game on a Suikoden community site and decided to give it a try. I can say that so far I am very impressed. He apparently has developed another RPG as well before this one, and you can find both of them at:

http://www.scfworks.com/

For those of you who have played the early Suikodens, you will find many similarities, gameplay and otherwise. In addition to the normal battles there are strategic overland war battles, for example. He also took many tiles from Suikoden II and used them to create his own envirornments, and the music is taken from many different sources--of them I recognize tunes from Suikoden II, Suikoden V, and Final Fantasy Tactics; however I've heard people say others are in there as well, such as Xenogears. It looks like much of the character art is original and of his own making, and of course the story is original, although when it comes to the story I can already see many similarities with traditional Suikoden plots.

Gameplay elements bear striking similarities to Suikoden II, with some alterations. The magic system is different for example; instead of the rune system, for each spell you purchase/find it can be used once in each battle by any character. You have mutliples of a single spell type, and when you do you can use each one in a battle. Characters earn MP during battle which is than expended on spells. They have an MP regeneration rate that determines how much MP they earn each round. There is a bribe system that will pop up as you move around in dungeons and such, and you can choose to pay the bribe by pressing a button, or the game will take you into a random encounter. The blacksmith system of Suikoden II is also present, however in this game you can improve your attack, accuracy, and critical hit chance by paying money as opposed to just improving attack power. Parties are six person just as in Suikoden and according to SCF there are 75 different characters you can recruit.

Anyways, enough from me. Anybody familiar with old school Suikoden need only click on the link above to see some screenshots, and you will immediatly be reminded of Suikoden II. I'd recommend this title to anybody who misses those kinds of games or just generally enjoys good titles. Its very professionally done, and had it cost money I probably would have paid for it!

Mar 8, 2009 at 8:47 AM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
It looks very similar to Suikoden, even though the format is a bit different. I may give it a try sometime. Thanks for sharing!

Oh and one thing you might look into even though it's still only playable in Japanese is a game series called Genso Sangokushi, which is Falcom's Japanese version of an original Chinese game series called Fantasia Sango. It's got quite a following and you'll no doubt see by the screenshots that there are MANY similarities to the look, feel and battle system of the first two Genso Suikoden games.

Here's the Link and you can download a demo of the game for free, but it needs to be run under Japanese mode in your regional and language settings.

p57650-0-ss06.jpg

http://falcom.com/fs/

The music is also quite nice. Basically, by the way Genso Suikoden is a fantasy retelling of the original Chinese Water Margin legend, this is a fantasy retelling of the 3 Kingdoms. We may never get a translation of these games in English, but that won't stop me from playing through them.

-SkyeWelse

Mar 9, 2009 at 8:31 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Oh my, just from the screenshot that game looks really cool! I usually just can't get into games that aren't in a language I understand though. I've got storyteller's bones so I need a good story to keep me going. Otherwise I feel like I'm just wandering around aimlessly. I may give it a looksee though just to see whats up.

I've continued playing Exit Fate and I can say that the similarities to Suikoden are many. A lot of the rooms and buildings are very similar and the plotlines of course are also similar. You even get your own castle eventually, but I don't know if it'll end up being more extensive than Suikoden's headquarters system or not.