Scariest video game moments?

Aug 5, 2012 at 4:23 PM
A Reluctant Balrog's Waifu
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Oh. I like this thread. Some spoilers ahead in case you were thinking of playing any of these games.

Exploring a lot of the wastes in the fallout games, but the effect was enhanced in Fallout 3/NV as opposed to the older isometric-style ones. The over-arching, almost oppressive feeling of dread and hopelessness throughout these games is wonderful and appropriate. It's not really a "moment", it's little pieces of the narrative, atmosphere, environment etc sort of creating this feeling. But some parts that did creep me out specifically are Andale (meeting a polite and quaint family unit, stumbling across the basemet and realizing that you're dealing with delusional cannibals), the Vault with the stradivarius in it, and the entire Pitt expansion (every moment terrified the ever-loving crap out of me).

The same comments about atmosphere/narrative go to Bioshock 1/2.

Amnesia, I guess. This one actually didn't scare me as much as the others on the list, but that could be because I have to battle motion sickness every time I play.

Lone Survivor. The whole thing, but especially the part where Chie suddenly seems to vanish and you go back into her apartment to find your friends being ravaged by zombies, and it's not only completely unexpected but a bit "jump scare" because of the musical/sound cues and your relative helplessness.

I'm pretty lucky. I get a kick out of being scared (most people who play/watch horror do) and have an incredibly active imagination, which is why Lone Survivor managed to scare me as much as Bioshock did despite the graphical differences.

Aug 5, 2012 at 8:53 PM
Little Bitch in Sheep Clothing
"..."
My scariest video game moment came from a freeware game, SCP-Containment Breach.

Seriously walk around carelessly for a while then WHAP!
You're dead.

Being that the game never ends me and my friends are playing in some kind of survival rules, and the damn thing seemed to know a way to keep itself out of my line of sight the whole time.

Aug 14, 2012 at 10:13 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Hmmmmm...

Oh there was one short game that was pretty scary... a free game included in a pack by the guy who did Iji. Called Metrojd. You really need to play it with headphones and with nobody else around for best effect xD
http://www.remar.se/daniel/scrappack2.php

Can't pick an exact moment since it's so short.

Aug 15, 2012 at 1:54 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Penumbra, when that huge worm appears. Fuck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCtMppottOs

Aug 15, 2012 at 2:50 AM
Banned
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
when the core wakes up...

Oct 6, 2012 at 1:06 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
How about Silent Hill & Dead Space?

Zubat is the scariest enemy of all time.

But seriously, the only games I've played that were remotely scary would probably be Half-Life 1 and 2.
what Zubat? Pokemon or In Other Games?