Sandwich Joe Saga - Escape from Candy World

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:14 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
(plays in-browser, uses HTML5)
http://gamemakersgarage.com/SandwichJoeSaga/sandwitchjoesaga.html
I had a lot of fun making this in Processing, and then my good friend Gan helped me port the entire thing to Google Dart so now it runs real smooth AND in your browser. :D
I'm not sure what I want to program next, I kinda want to keep working on this and make it a proper game but I also want to try starting a new project.

Description:
Joe, owner of the local deli, finds a golden ticket in his candy bar, and wins the Grand Prize - to be magically teleported to a free vacation in the whimsical Candy World, where everything is made of candy! Not surprisingly, it turns out to be just about the worst place he could possibly be stuck in, and he plans to escape.

(Obviously) made for the Candy Jam. Finished in about 2 weeks.

Feb 5, 2014 at 8:23 PM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
That description sounds like Candy Land. XD

Sorry a quick note: the controls description in the bottom left corner is really hard to read, but manageable.

Spikes being candy canes made total sense to me; those things are dangerous. I always poke my tongue with them. Oh well.

It looks neat so far; I'll play some more when I'm not studying for midterms.

Feb 7, 2014 at 2:06 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I've just completed this game, and what an experience it is. The graphics were okay, but there were some sprites I don't think had been worked on all that much. Not that it's noteworthy, but I figured a marginal revamp in some of sprites would do this game justice. The music wasn't that good. Again, not that it's noteworthy, but I figured a slight re-tuning of the music will do the game justice. The game had a great plethora of levels, though. You knew the engine well, allowing for some difficult levels. The levels ranged from simplistic platforming to hopping on gummy bears to avoid floating spikes. I don't think that this game should be scrapped mostly because of that Charlie and the Chocolate Factory reference in the plot, but the game needs some work.

(Also, I heard Candy Jam was releasing apps about candy to protest King's rash decision to trademark the word "candy", is this true?)

Feb 7, 2014 at 6:41 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Oh yeah, that was the whole point of the Jam. You can read about it on the home page at http://itch.io/jam/candyjam .

Thanks for the feedback! I do want to do a lot of work on it. I like the silly story, in fact I'm thinking about adding comic-book style cutscenes. Also people keep saying the last levels are way too hard not that I care if they complain about it being hard but I kinda prefer to have at least a few nice, hard levels. I do want to work on the project beyond what I finished for the Jam. Work on the graphics, add a few more objects, make it longer... Also needs more candy corns.

Feb 7, 2014 at 7:03 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Hard levels should be balanced with fluid controls. If the controls aren't easy to handle, difficulty shouldn't be ramped up until much later in the game. Heh. That's just my useless opinion for the day.

In this case, the controls are a bit slippery, which makes precise navigation a bit too frustrating. But still manageable.

The fact that there's no actual death animation/transition back to the start point kind of throws me off; it feels like the screen "jerks". Maybe I'm not used to it.

(Has King trademarked the words yet?)