RPGmaker General Discussion

Mar 2, 2012 at 7:46 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Kanpachi said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :(
I've lost Pickelton... I went on to RPG maker and it's not there anymore. >_<
It still exists, if you didn't delete it!
Just open RPGmaker 2003, Project -> Open Project
And try to remember where it is... For example the default is :
C:\Program Files\rpg2003 And if you choose that, the folder that appears should probably be Pickleton.

If you can't figure out where it is after a lot of searching...
Oh, first you can try :
Press Windows Key + F key at the same time.
[Windows Key is usually the one between the Ctrl and Alt buttons]

That SHOULD bring up a search window. Then choose search for All files and folders.
And for "All or part of the file name:"
Put in RPG_RT.exe

Then hit search and wait for it to probably find it!
Once it comes up, it should show the Name of the file, and the Folder.
So if the folder name is :
C:\Documents and Settings\Kanpachi\Desktop\Pickels

Goto RPGmaker 2003 and open folder C:\Documents and Settings\Kanpachi\Desktop
And Pickles should show up.

If ALL else fails, I can tell you how to open the Pickles game you uploaded to Mediafire.

Mar 2, 2012 at 8:02 PM
The Eternal Darkness
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Say, X-Calibar, have you ever played an RPGMaker game named "Ahriman's Prophecy?" I think that game has sequels, but the sequels are apparently 60 min. trial versions. Ahriman's Prophecy is a full version game.

Mar 3, 2012 at 7:47 AM
Indie game enthusiast
Well, I played the Corpse Party trial. My end reaction....
MEH!

I'll give it a 7/10 for the trial. It's not bad... I was never scared, although it had me on edge waiting to be scared lol
The main problem I had with it, was the system I guess... Perhaps there is a way to speed up text a bit? I didn't see it... I was forced to read it very slowly read it, at least the first time. Once something has been read, it allows you to make it instant text. (Although, it didn't quite work properly at the ending, where I nearly skipped the new material since it was letting me... Weird...)

That was just a little annoying, but the main problem with the system was how you "beat" the stage... Basically you just have to make sure you trigger all possible events. Even if I don't really see how they affect what happens; you just have to make sure you read all the notes, and somehow playout differently.

Personally, I think I would enjoy this game more with someone telling me if I had gotten everything. I don't mind bad endings, but I don't like repeating the same scene; uncertain if I managed to fill all the requirements to continue.

Anyway, not a bad game. Interesting story, and I'd probably boost the rating as the story continued :o Unfortunately... Chapter 1 ends pretty quickly, and BAM no more game X_X

The chase scene was FAR too lenient. I could take four hits before she went down... When I was afraid to get hit I managed to beat it without ever getting touched.

The suicide scene agitated me >< I couldn't do anything to help, even if I wanted to [I tried to get the bucket earlier dangit, but noooooo]

I think I got the hang of the game though, basically when you get to a scene that asks you if you want to continue, or if you are about to do something that you know will definitely pass time or cause something big. You have to make sure you have already cleared the area completely. There doesn't seem to be any ways to just die accidently.
At first I was avoiding all the dangerous looking floors, and making sure not to fall off the walkways... Also cautiously approached all dangerous scenes. Slowly even lol But, it seems like none of that really matters... you just have to look for events to kick in.

Still, it would make a great video to watch... Maybe there's a LP somewhere... Still I'd rather play this with a friend, and then share the oh no's!

@Shane
No, I haven't played that one... I didn't realize it was free!

I've played two of the sequel games though : Aveyond : Lord of Twlight, and Aveyond : Gates of Night.
Parts 1 and 2 in the Lord of Orbs series. I probably would give them a solid 8/10 rating.

10$ per game... I think. It's pretty good, I would probably buy them if there was some bundle discount deal.
(I had a free trial to bigfishgames and had 30 days to play the first and second games~)

I'll try Ahriman's Prophecy sometime now that I have it...
What did you think of it? Was it good?

Mar 3, 2012 at 8:25 AM
The Eternal Darkness
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Aveyond is $9.99, if I remember correctly. Anyway, the version I have is good, although hard. My first playthrough, to change the class of the main character, I had to level up from level 23 to level 41. I think the max level is 75, btw. But everything could have changed in the later versions...
And the game is glitched on my PC. Video card or something, I dunno. The letters look all... weird. A "g" looks more like an "s", and I think the game enjoys mocking me. Sometimes when I try to get an item (ham, for example) the game shows a message and quits. But that's probably fixed in a later version.

Mar 3, 2012 at 12:18 PM
"Huzzah!"
I'm up to chapter 5 on Corpse Party PSP, X-Caliber. The game rapidly becomes more 'pitfally', with insta-death scenarios. What's odd designwise is that the plot is completely linear until chapter 5.

All in all, I think it's a genuinely good game. Maybe not 'greatest thing ever', but I really like the way the game doesn't require fast reflexes. Also, none of the puzzles are overly obtuse... except in chapter 5. I kept getting the bad ending, so I just googled for a FAQ guide. Which breaks my heart and makes me feel weak and useless.

Yes, Corpse Party thinks the player deserves a horrible ending if they do any of the following:

Take the busting girl Yuko to the bathroom. Entering any bathroom at all = bad end.
Do anything other than methodically walk around the school collecting notepad clippings THEN entering certain room THEN talking to other characters.
Failing to pick up the severed tongue in a desk drawer and the plush kitty toy from the infimary.

I mean... only about 10-20% of players will get the true ending on their first playthrough. Kinda like Cave Story.

It's worth pointing out that Corpse Party is best played with earphones. The Japanese voice acting is excellent, plus many of the scares aren't as effective when a voice isn't WHISPERING IN YOUR EAR.

I think Corpse Party played a fabulous trick on you, X--Caliber. Because you've been groomed to both _not_ follow orders and yet follow instincts when they seem reasonable. In chapter 3 or 4, one of the girls jumps in the cloudy pool, for the usual spooky reasons. You had just picked up the pump room key when you heard the splash.

Guess what? The pump room is just beside you. You've got the key. Doesn't draining the pool to save the drowning girl seem so LOGICAL?

Uh-huh. Draining the pool kills her. You find her mutilated body trapped beneath a drainage gate.

The irony? The sign on the wall which warns against draining the pool.

That's the genius of the game. It reveals how easily minipulated we are as players. But this, the best aspect, only really works in the full game.

Mar 3, 2012 at 5:46 PM
Indie game enthusiast
Although I rated it somewhat average or below average; I wasn't ready to quit at the end... I would have surely continued. And chances are my rating would have continued to increase, like you say.
So, while I don't think I'll be buying a PSP anytime soon, I wish I could continue!

BTW, I had headphones on, and was playing in the dead of night (the only way to go!) ;D
At least one sound effect startled me a bit... lol

Does the full version have full voice acting? That would definitely add to the experience.
They managed to hit most key lines, but switching back and forth never really sat well with me. It's such a tease...

Spoilers!

I think knowing about the hanging scene made it much less effective, since I kept waiting for it to appear. (Although I was surprised it was at the end of the chapter!) It's definitely best to hit the game without any prior knowledge~

Notes!

You're right. It makes sense to check the notes to prevent you from choosing Dead Ends... I mean, I don't think reading the notes should mean the difference from life or death; but you still need to read all notes so that you don't miss key bits of information like don't drain the pool, or who is doing this!

And while I'm on warnings... I was told to DEFINITELY NOT read the newspaper... But, I figured ... well why not lol
I'm not exactly sure what happened, but it let me go free? I guess, it was preparing you for future deadly encounters.

(Actually, I think I got the bad ending the first time because I didn't go into the room where Naomi? had the bad premonition. That was the newspaper room I think. I proceeded past it because I was being cautious...

It's strange that I would avoid the "bad feeling" room, but have no qualms about checking out the ... mess of a corpse on the floor which was plainly visible to the player in the next hall ...)

I think Corpse Party played a fabulous trick on you, X--Caliber. Because you've been groomed to both _not_ follow orders and yet follow instincts when they seem reasonable. In chapter 3 or 4, one of the girls jumps in the cloudy pool, for the usual spooky reasons. You had just picked up the pump room key when you heard the splash.
Indeed, in games like this, do not be predictable! Be swift, but smart or be ...!
WRONG END

Mar 5, 2012 at 7:23 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Decided to ditch pickleton and do something better. How do you edit your party and main character?

Mar 6, 2012 at 4:31 AM
Indie game enthusiast
You can edit the heroes under : Tools -> Database -> Hero
Also the starting party : Tools -> Database -> System

To really control your party and characters in-game though; you need to create events.
You probably already know how, but create a new event, and in that event : Event Commands, big text box,
right click and insert stuff...

Like you could have the hero's appearence change if you use Change Sprite Association.
There are a lot of commands to play with. Sounds, animations, call battles...

Mar 6, 2012 at 1:57 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Thanks. :D
Sorry, I'm going to stop asking you stuff now....

Mar 6, 2012 at 6:33 PM
Indie game enthusiast
It's not a problem :D I'm not always around... but when I am; feel free when you are stuck~

I stopped asking questions in school after the first few grades, so I put an extra weight on my shoulders that didn't need to be there. So at least I can encourage others to avoid that route :p ;D
(Just be mindful of your teacher/peers, and if they are open to all questions, or only want advanced questions)

Mar 11, 2012 at 9:45 PM
Liza's Avengance

Game I've been working on for a few weeks. Ends after you exit the tower with Kerry.

It's about a girl called Hikari, who is trying to avenge her sister Liza after she gets killed.

I don't have much yet.

And my houses aren't massive squares! (apart from Honif)

Enjoy :D
http://www.mediafire.com/?94g78acnjd5mnc1

same download instructions as before.

Mar 13, 2012 at 3:37 AM
Indie game enthusiast
I just checked out Liza's Avengance ...
(It's spelled Avengeance I guess? I had to look it up...)
You've improved :D It was a little more cinematic, the attack on the town... the battle to try to save Liza. Also, nice first town in ruins...

After leaving town I kind of followed the forest path, but, since you could cut right through to the end... I decided to just walk through it :p

Kerry was funny lol She should have had a cat join her in battle!
"Heya, what's going on?" "Shhh, Kerry!" "HUMANS DIE!"

The final tower/lava place, I didn't survive it the first time, until I figured out the battles were avoidable; and then beat up the boss.

A short tragic story about REVENGE! Keep it up!
(Poor Hikari...)

Just for fun I modded Liza's Avengance a little. Just to maybe show you some tips, and other effects. Feel free to use them or not! :
http://www.mediafire...x8ehn9c2umd9mf3

The changes I made :
Check stuff in their house, their house outside, Mrs. F, and the leaving the town scene.
When you exit after Liza's fate... Hikari sees the devistation of the town. But the tombstones are already made?? I added an extra map so the tombstones after she buries them.
(I forgot to cut off the rain after that ><)

If you DO make a square house, divide it up into rooms if you have time; and as a rule of thumb; always put walls to enclose the place you made. I played around with their house... hope you like it :o

Also, on the outside, I changed their roof a little bit. If you make the roof too small, it looks like it might be flat. I kinda like that look, but I thought I'd show you what I meant.

Suggestions :

Cats and Cows, instead of just saying : Mooo, make them play the Sound effect for Cow and cat xD
Healing potions, they don't work! You have to go into database, and under Items, select the heroes that can use those items.
Tower exit, the Tower has no exit! Is that intended?
Tombstones, The tombstones appear when Hikari sees the devistation for the first time (before she made them)
Liza turning into the skeleton..., that's creepy! I guess it's better than her just disappearing though..
Monster encounters, Should make it so they disappear after you run into it once... (more on that in a sec)
World map areas on top of places, Should put the entrances on top of the towns... well that's how it is usually...

The next big thing you can try using is Switches.
If you use a switch with an event. You can do more complicated events... like having a monster battle disappear after you defeat it once, or after you talk to someone, have someone say something new without making a whole new area. You can do lots of things with switches!

In the modified demo, I used a few switches to control the doors and one to turn Mrs. F into panic mode.

Anyways, nice work :D
Keeeeeep it up!

Mar 13, 2012 at 7:42 AM
Whoops, i forgot to put an exit on the tower xD
I'll use your suggestions

~Edit~

I played the mod, HOW DID YOU DO THAT?????????????? :D
It's amazing!

Mar 14, 2012 at 6:59 PM
Indie game enthusiast
I played the mod, HOW DID YOU DO THAT?????????????? :D
Hey :D Did you try opening the altered mod in RPGmaker 2003 editor?

You can look at the changes within the game, and copy it if you want~
But, well... if you want me to describe how I did any particular thing, just ask :D

To copy an event, Right click and click Copy. Then close project on the altered mod, and load project on your original mod. Then you can right click Paste it into your own.

Same way goes for copying entire Maps. Right click on the map name on bottom left corner, and copy. Then close project, open project, Right click paste where you want it~

Warning : Don't forget where your original project is... Did you create a new project in My Documents? Or did you make it on the desktop? Or maybe in Program Files/rpg2003/ ? Keep track of where your game is! So that when you close it, you can find it again :p
*one of my earlier posts about pickelton tells how to find it if you lose it though...

Mar 19, 2012 at 3:12 AM
Indie game enthusiast
It's been a while... I haven't played any new RPGmaker games in a while, but I still have more to share!
So here's one~

FEY
8/10
Length : ???
Legend of Zelda style action in a dark adventure to regain what was lost!

Download : http://rpgmaker.net/games/778/
Engine : Rpgmaker 2003

I've only played a little bit of this so far, but it's very well put together, enough for me to believe it earns an 8.0 rating already. The characterization isn't very strong, maybe something akin to Secret of Evermore, but I say keep an eye on this baby! It's not complete yet, but the demo is already well worth a look. Technically it could be a 9.0 game, but storywise it could be 7 - 8. Haven't played enough to determine just how strong the story is...

EDIT:

I already posted Star Stealing Prince earlier... but it just got featured on the rpgmaker.net website! It's lovely...
ff4b9c33e13f4323fabc62dd5cd41d676d5e626c.jpg

Mar 29, 2012 at 9:57 PM
Decided to ditch pickleton and do something better.

Forget I said that. I changed my mind :p
I worked on Pickles more. It's a far cry from the original now!

The main character is now called Anlon, instead of being defaulty (I'm not sure if that's a word...) named Zack. Anlon is an Irish name meaning 'Winner', and I thought it suited an RPG hero well.
The first house is split into rooms (yay!) and the crystal ball, the piano and the bookshelf are interactive. It's no longer about a guy trying to avenge his mother, it's just about a 17 year old randomly going on a quest.....
I used lots of switches to save myself from making 10000 maps.
And whenever you complete the demo a message should come up say 'end of demo' :mrgreen:
Oh, talk to Beardo's daughter in ErinTown pub. :D

Mediafire is all new and weird, so I signed up to 4shared.

http://www.4shared.c...kelton_new.html

EDIT: Can you think of any better names that Erin and Ailsa for the heroines in the legend? They don't sound RPG-y enough

Mar 29, 2012 at 10:45 PM
Indie game enthusiast
I'm downloading it!

Mediafire is all new and weird, so I signed up to 4shared.
I like 4shared personally, but it seems like they made it so you have to sign up in order to download from them.
So it might prevent some people from downloading files you put there...
Mediafire should still be good for public files...!

EDIT: Can you think of any better names that Erin and Ailsa for the heroines in the legend? They don't sound RPG-y enough
Aron, Elsa...
(Oh Anion is already close...)
Arotus, Elzu
Europa, Aliua
Erik, Aya
I'm just making them up lol

Mar 29, 2012 at 10:48 PM
You know Erin is a girl's name??? :p

Mar 29, 2012 at 11:37 PM
Indie game enthusiast
You know Erin is a girl's name??? :p
Oops... got me :p
I guess I was thinking of Aaron for some reason lol

SOOO, I played it!
Nice improvements btw! I was shocked when I talked to the bartender's daughter...
SMACK!
Ooo....
Things are shaping up!

I did run into some problems you need to fix...
Game crashes soon as you try to leave Erin town after talking to Ilse's mom. (It wants map 16, which doesn't exist yet?)

- You should make it so the exit to ErinTown requires no conditions/switches to run. I think you can't get out of town, if you don't talk to the mom.
- Talking to the mom turns on the switch Ilse's Home. That probably shouldn't activated until you save her!

(To get past it I made save ilse switch turn on when talking to her before saving ilse; and save ilse turn off after talking to her when you've saved Ilse...)

- I changed ErinTown's exit to only send you to the main map.

Lastly, you should change the Volcano's teleport to dungeon that has the condition switch "Ilse home", to "boss defeated" so that if you go back into the volcano, the boss isn't back :o
I enjoyed all the new interactions in the first area, and the changes to the maps :D
I tried to play all the pianos... Nope still don't know how... lol

Apr 15, 2012 at 6:07 PM
Pickles!

I finished it. ;D
I'll fix any problems you find, and then I'll be able to say I made an RPG! (Even if it only lasts 10 minutes :L )
Just to warn you, the end is VERY cheesy xD

ugh...
The new mediafire site isn't letting me upload stuff, so I gave in and made an account xD

http://www.mediafire...bp4okhqrlg7x8rq