• Most people probably don't realise this, but this forum has had two editors for a number of years. One is the xenForo default editor, and the other is a custom editor I made years back I called BBCEd.

All the settings for which editor you use was lost during the upgrade. You can find the setting under Account Settings > Preferences > Editor.

Rockfish Story - An Unreleased Game Remake

Jul 4, 2018 at 8:31 PM
Piyo Piyo Discord Admin
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Well, where do I start ..? I think I'd better let the game say it all by itself. It was a lot of work for me to do and redo the whole game of Daisuke, alone (It doesn't means that I'll remake all of his other unreleased games). I chose this unreleased game because I thought it would be cool see a game that put Cave Story and Ikachan together. And that's the result, and the download link:
Screenshot 1.png Screenshot 2.png Screenshot 3.png Screenshot 4.png Screenshot 5.png Screenshot 6.png Screenshot 7.png Screenshot 8.png

First demo:
- First public release;

Second Demo changes:
- Reworked Orgs;
- New Rockfish Design;
- Some Rework Graphics;
- New Sound Effects;
- Some Bug Fixes;
- Mod now has Multisave (3 Profiles) Feature;
- Different Gameover Messages or cutscenes on Bosses.

Again, the credit won't go to me. All the credits go to Daisuke Amaya to his idea and Dev Logs information. The remake contains some custom graphics, music remixes and PiyoPiyoPlayer music remixes too. I hope the game has been fun and interesting for anyone who plays.
Edit: Demo 2 is finally done. All screenshots were updated to fit the update, I hope everyone enjoy this demo. ;)

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 11:37 PM
Org Discord Admin
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Hello, just played through your demo.

I assume that this is a complete remake of an unfinished game, and you had only Pixel's Development Logs to base off. (If not, I apologise.)

This is well done, I'd say. It keeps the spirit of Pixel's other games, and really feels like there is a transition between Ikachan and Cave Story. Looking forward to playing the full version.

The level design is nice, but it's pretty spacious. That might have been based of Ikachan's wide open maps, but it's pretty slow to navigate though. The Ducts help to remedy this issue, though, and I like the statues hidden inbetween.

The graphics are nice, too. The Gray areas could have be done in a bit more interesting way (more decorations, or more different blocks, perhaps?), but otherwise it all looks pretty.

I do think that the Booster sound effect can be removed (possible with SeaTone), or replaced with something else, but if you plan to add something like Booster 2.0, then it can stay.

I have noted and recorded the grammatic mistakes in the script, you can see them below.

Observations are here. The text is in the ReadMe file.

Jul 4, 2018 at 11:54 PM
Piyo Piyo Discord Admin
Hello, just played through your demo.

I assume that this is a complete remake of an unfinished game, and you had only Pixel's Development Logs to base off. (If not, I apologise.)

This is well done, I'd say. It keeps the spirit of Pixel's other games, and really feels like there is a transition between Ikachan and Cave Story. Looking forward to playing the full version.

The level design is nice, but it's pretty spacious. That might have been based of Ikachan's wide open maps, but it's pretty slow to navigate though. The Ducts help to remedy this issue, though, and I like the statues hidden inbetween.

The graphics are nice, too. The Gray areas could have be done in a bit more interesting way (more decorations, or more different blocks, perhaps?), but otherwise it all looks pretty.

I do think that the Booster sound effect can be removed (possible with SeaTone), or replaced with something else, but if you plan to add something like Booster 2.0, then it can stay.

I have noted and recorded the grammatic mistakes in the script, you can see them below.

Observations are here. The text is in the ReadMe file.
Oh, thank you for the reviews and told me the issues. All the grammar mistakes occur because English is not my native language. I'm still learning a lot but okay, I can fix these problems. I will fix the issues soon. ;)
Edit: Changes done! Fixed everything and updated the post.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018 at 12:50 AM
Bumping into certain objects and having them display tips over and over gets annoying at times.
Like the boss battle and the hatched egg shell, or the statues and going after the coins.

Jul 7, 2018 at 12:57 AM
Piyo Piyo Discord Admin
Bumping into certain objects and having them display tips over and over gets annoying at times.
Like the boss battle and the hatched egg shell, or the statues and going after the coins.
It's inspired by Ikachan's interactions, but okay. I'll fix it soon.
Edit: The issue is fixed and the link was updated!

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018 at 7:06 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
This looks so cool; I'm definitely going to get around playing this!!! I love the new texture and tilesets you put into the mod judging by the screenshots. :)

Aug 28, 2018 at 1:09 AM
Extra Life Online
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
This is really cool!. I don't know why pixel never released the actual Rock Fish.

Dec 4, 2018 at 6:52 PM
Piyo Piyo Discord Admin
Sooo, after so long that probably no one else remembers this mod anymore, I finally finished the 2nd demo. I just don't have words to explain my great delay and procrastination that I had, but that's enough of talk. I just hope all this delay was worth it, just polishing and fixing some bugs.
Anyway, the 2nd Demo is done. Here's the download link, or just go to the first post that I'll update.

Dec 4, 2018 at 8:14 PM
Hax4Ever Online
Aspiring Game Developer
"..."
If you have time, rip tiles from the 3DS release of Ikachan, those were from Rockfish.

Dec 5, 2018 at 4:52 PM
Piyo Piyo Discord Admin
If you have time, rip tiles from the 3DS release of Ikachan, those were from Rockfish.
I managed to rip that in some of the screenshots that I could find through the sites, but I kept hidden in the tileset.
But anyway thanks for the suggestion. (Thinking on where I could use this tileset, aside of Dark Cave...)