Robot arms

Dec 22, 2015 at 3:25 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I think "all the time" is a bit of an overstatement. I mean, vehicles are overtly complex with many moving parts including fuel that literally explodes, and in a poor climate you can still get at least 10 or 15 years out of a car. Plus if it gets too broke up then idk, get a newer better one. So I don't see maintenance as a huge obstacle.
But think of all the faces those robot arms will be punching! o.o

Dec 22, 2015 at 4:06 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
in a poor climate you can still get at least 10 or 15 years out of a car
Yeah but you wouldn't want your arms to perform like a car that's been through fifteen Canadian winters with minimal maintenance. I'm willing to settle for "good enough" when it comes to automobiles, but not my arms.
Twelve seconds of googling tells me that there are 23 muscle groups in a human arm, plus like 3 for the shoulder, so that's 52 points of articulation. If any of them stop working, it would be a bigger deal, at least to me, than misaligned steering.
I don't think that robotic arms would require a prohibitive amount of maintenance, but they'd be more hassle than the organic kind. Still worth it though.

Dec 22, 2015 at 5:53 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
Robot arms would need servicing all the time. The problem with robot arms is that they don't heal, and if they did I could use those worker nanobots from my robot arm to rebuild my old arm like it was brand new.
there are parts of our arms that can't heal if damaged, the human body is not made to last forever

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:53 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Twelve seconds of googling tells me that there are 23 muscle groups in a human arm, plus like 3 for the shoulder, so that's 52 points of articulation. If any of them stop working, it would be a bigger deal, at least to me, than misaligned steering.
Not to mention the risk of your arm suffering from huge unbearable bursts of pain if your nerve connections to that artificial arm stop working correctly.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2015 at 9:44 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I think "all the time" is a bit of an overstatement. I mean, vehicles are overtly complex with many moving parts including fuel that literally explodes, and in a poor climate you can still get at least 10 or 15 years out of a car. Plus if it gets too broke up then idk, get a newer better one. So I don't see maintenance as a huge obstacle.

15 years? I hope you're joking man, we use soviet cars from the 70s and they work just fine. they look boss too.

Dec 23, 2015 at 9:53 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
15 years? I hope you're joking man, we use soviet cars from the 70s and they work just fine. they look boss too.
Road salt is hell

Dec 23, 2015 at 9:54 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Don't forget this is 15 years in a poor climate, not 15 years in a good environment with good maintenance.

Dec 24, 2015 at 2:23 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
It'd be a lot harder to jack off with metal arms
Don't worry my friend, the prosthetic technology to solve that problem is already years ahead

Dec 24, 2015 at 5:16 PM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I would rather become fully robotic. Download my brain into an immortal robot that will never die! Robot arms are a step closer to my goals, so yeah, why not.

Dec 24, 2015 at 7:58 PM
"Forever coffee..."
I would rather become fully robotic. Download my brain into an immortal robot that will never die! Robot arms are a step closer to my goals, so yeah, why not.
Preach brother

ALL MUST JOIN THE CYBERKIND

Dec 24, 2015 at 11:23 PM
Banned
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
robot arms means you can have a dildo gun finger
where's the downside

Dec 25, 2015 at 1:55 AM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
It'd be a lot harder to jack off with metal arms
Not much of a problem when you can use the arms to pick up chicks from da club

Dec 25, 2015 at 5:46 AM
"Forever coffee..."
Not much of a problem when you can use the arms to pick up chicks from da club
They did that in ancient Rome
the couple would get married and the guy would just carry the female to his place and even if she protested the parents couldn't do jack

Damnit I'm nightblogging aren't I

Dec 26, 2015 at 12:07 AM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Goddamnit I knew that this would happen

Even if I said "you could use the robot hands to have sex" you guys would be all like "you can't have sex with arms dweeb ^_^"

Dec 26, 2015 at 2:06 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I'd prefer sweet robot gauntlets! I'm fine with my organic arms, and something equippable would allow me to go for a non-standard design without it being impractical.

Dec 26, 2015 at 2:33 AM
Lurking in the Shadows
"No! Don't OPEN that DOOR!"
i'd probably keep my arms because i've had them all of my life. getting them replaced with something almost exactly the same, give or take a few functions, seems pretty pointless. it's like buying the special edition of a game , you get one extra thing that doesn't really matter in the end, and you pay extra for it.

Jan 5, 2016 at 9:19 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
As someone who fucked up their arm this winter season, I wish santa had brought me a pair of robot arms this christmas.

Jan 23, 2016 at 4:37 AM
Lurking in the Shadows
"No! Don't OPEN that DOOR!"
If they were just like regular arms, but just more features, I would like to have them.

For one, it would stop the endless train of cuts and burns I keep getting from my hobby. Also, I could put random things inside my arm, like flashlights, or a flamethrower.