Revamping Cave Story Wiki

Jul 20, 2015 at 6:48 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
As they say: a great game deserves a great wiki. There is a wiki for Cave Story, but it was known for being much less that. It's simply known as Cave Story Wiki. Hopefully, that has changed.

It's been almost two years since I started editing this wiki...from changing its colour scheme to revising the articles so that they at least have a structure. As I focused more on the articles, there were a number of other users, both whom I recognise from these forums and ones I didn't, that also contributed a significant amount to the project.

This is, by no means, perfect. There's still a lot I have left to revise, but I figured since I've been seeing some familiar users from here editing on that wiki, I might as well show its update on a thread. I've seen a thread made for a Cavewiki, so I figure a thread like this would be allowed. I'm just hoping that its current state is a lot less worse than it was a few years back.

Any help, be it actually contributing to the wiki itself or just giving feedback on the overall premise of the articles etc, is appreciated. An account is not required for basic edits, just uploading files and some other additional things.

Jul 20, 2015 at 8:24 AM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
I remember when it first came out, it was a neat site, a little broken, but easy to use. It's nice to see people like you still there fixing it up, I recall a few errors and here and there, and it's nice to see them fixed. I'd say great job and keep up the excellent progress.

Jul 20, 2015 at 3:33 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Well, I must say, the wiki looks far better than it did 3 years ago. Fantastic work, RSK. I kept telling myself that I'd try to contribute to fixing it at some point, but I really ended up not doing much and really dropped the ball. I see you've handled this quite well on your own. One thing I might suggest doing is making an infobox for specific maps. Perhaps it can list the width, height, tileset used, items and weapons obtainable, characters and enemies that can appear, music that can play, and boss battles that can occur. This was something that I pictured in my vision for a revamped Cave Story Wiki.

Also, at this point, the term "Cave Story" is generically used to refer to all kinds of ports. Since the page titled "Cave Story" refers specifically to the freeware version, maybe that page should be renamed to "Cave Story (Freeware)." And maybe Misery and Balrog's pages should have boss battle health values in their infoboxes like Ballos' does.

Those are all the suggestions I have after looking at a few pages. I'm afraid that I don't have it in me to help get these suggestions put into action- every time I try to get involved with the Cave Story wiki, I find myself soon afterward losing interest, so I'm not even going to try this time. Sorry.

Jul 20, 2015 at 4:49 PM
Beakface
Oh, the main page, sprites template and locations infobox could not be done without the help of other users. It was them who most refurbished the sprites.

HaydenStudios said:
One thing I might suggest doing is making an infobox for specific maps. Perhaps it can list the width, height, tileset used, items and weapons obtainable, characters and enemies that can appear, music that can play, and boss battles that can occur. This was something that I pictured in my vision for a revamped Cave Story Wiki.
I am categorising the maps as "Locations" and "Sublocations", more out of habit from other gaming wikis. If I recall, I'm using the locations infobox for both the locations and sublocations pages, but I haven't worked on the sublocations pages a whole lot. I wanted to take it more from a player's perspective and not so much a modding one at the time, so I didn't take tileset and the like into account. I might add these in; I don't know. Size a good field that I forgot to take into factor. I'll add this into the current Locations infobox when I remember. Thanks!

HaydenStudios said:
Also, at this point, the term "Cave Story" is generically used to refer to all kinds of ports. Since the page titled "Cave Story" refers specifically to the freeware version, maybe that page should be renamed to "Cave Story (Freeware)." And maybe Misery and Balrog's pages should have boss battle health values in their infoboxes like Ballos' does.
It's a fair enough point. Would it be better to make the "Cave Story" page a general article about Cave Story or a disambiguation? I'm thinking the latter, since the overall history of Cave Story may be attributed to their specific Cave Story port pages. Well, I'll think about this.

ColdCallerloppy said:
I remember when it first came out, it was a neat site, a little broken, but easy to use. It's nice to see people like you still there fixing it up, I recall a few errors and here and there, and it's nice to see them fixed. I'd say great job and keep up the excellent progress.
Thank you. :) I haven't had a lot of time to work on just Cave Story Wiki, so my progress on it has been rather sporadic. As it turns out, summer vacation does not loosen a busy schedule.

Jul 20, 2015 at 5:28 PM
Based Member
Random-storykeeper said:
Would it be better to make the "Cave Story" page a general article about Cave Story or a disambiguation? I'm thinking the latter, since the overall history of Cave Story may be attributed to their specific Cave Story port pages.
Yeah, I'll have to favor the idea of making it a disambiguation page, since that's more likely to help people find what they're looking for, and the history of the ports is kind of already written out on the other pages.

Jul 21, 2015 at 12:40 AM
Beakface
duncathan said:
Have you removed the theories stated as absolute fact that plagued the wiki years ago?
You don't know how many times I have had to delete articles or remove sections dedicated to HaydenStudios' prank ending. Well I've tried to remove as many theories as I could see, or at least move them to other user pages off the mainspace. I was off the wiki for some time, so it's possible some may have snuck under the radar. I'll be sure to keep a sharp eye out for these.

Jul 21, 2015 at 2:56 AM
Stoned Member
If this is real, please make it have a metro theme, and please don't make it with wikia. Better things exist .

Jul 28, 2015 at 9:22 AM
Beakface
QuoteHax said:
If this is real, please make it have a metro theme, and please don't make it with wikia. Better things exist .
Whoops I've been meaning to reply to this.

A metro theme? And what better things exist? Why would I switch out of Wikia when the current one is already viewed very frequently?

Jul 29, 2015 at 2:15 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Switching away from wikia is a terrible idea, because then you have two CS wikis.